2016 RDX Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 RDX Alignment

So this past weekend I brought my wife's car in to get an alignment done. I purchased the lifetime alignment as I've done for our other two cars.

I would highly recommend, even though the car is still new, to get an alignment done. Even though the car tracked fairly straight, I know during transport they always over tighten the straps that hold the car on the truck, which can mess with the alignment.

After looking at the final printout from Firestone, the toe was off quite a bit. There is negative camber in the rears but that can't be adjusted any further. I will be looking into getting a camber kit once/if there is one (haven't looked into whether any camber kits exist out there yet) as there's usually plenty of tread left on the middle to outside tires.

It might still be too soon for folks to have done an alignment but I also noticed that on the paper print out, they used the specs from a 2014 MDX. Is this correct? Does the 2014 MDX and the 2016 RDX have the same spec ranges for alignments?
The following users liked this post:
vetdude (06-15-2017)
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Most honda's have accetable negative camber in the rear.
i think it's up to -1.7 in the rear, so no need for camber kit.

as only toe is adjustable, toe should be zero'd out.

post a pic of the alignment sheet, so we can see the specs!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXtasy
So this past weekend I brought my wife's car in to get an alignment done. I purchased the lifetime alignment as I've done for our other two cars.

I would highly recommend, even though the car is still new, to get an alignment done. Even though the car tracked fairly straight, I know during transport they always over tighten the straps that hold the car on the truck, which can mess with the alignment.

After looking at the final printout from Firestone, the toe was off quite a bit. There is negative camber in the rears but that can't be adjusted any further. I will be looking into getting a camber kit once/if there is one (haven't looked into whether any camber kits exist out there yet) as there's usually plenty of tread left on the middle to outside tires.

It might still be too soon for folks to have done an alignment but I also noticed that on the paper print out, they used the specs from a 2014 MDX. Is this correct? Does the 2014 MDX and the 2016 RDX have the same spec ranges for alignments?
From a paper point of view, No the specification should read 2016 RDX (or 2015 RDX). To me, an MDX is a different vehicle compared to RDX thus the alignment specifications might be different.

To an experienced Acura Tech, they might be the same. It is best to go back to where you got your alignment done and ask the service adviser or technician.

I don't think over-tightening strips can mess with the alignment of a car. You might mess up the alignment if you hit a pothole or a speed bump aggressively.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Holy crap! i cant believe i missed that!
i thought it said 2014 RDX....

but Takashi is correct! the 2014 MDX has completely different specs as it's suspension is designed for a heavier load.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

I'll give Firestone a call tomorrow, if I remember, and find out if that is correct. I just figured it was too new and they may not have the specs in their system yet? I've got their lifetime alignment so I'm not too worried. I can get as many alignments as needed. I'll report back what they say for everyone's benefit. The car drives fine though.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:01 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Did the RDX not drive fine before? What made you get an alignment. My wife's drives straight as can be. Can't image in needed an alignment right after the truck as it was aligned from the factory. I too get lifetime alignments through Firestone but it's really early. Surprised it was out of spec.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Did the RDX not drive fine before? What made you get an alignment. My wife's drives straight as can be. Can't image in needed an alignment right after the truck as it was aligned from the factory. I too get lifetime alignments through Firestone but it's really early. Surprised it was out of spec.
Actually that was my next question. Didn't the dealership did an vehicle alignment as part of their PDI checks?

Getting lifetime alignment sounds like a great idea but it is not. In reality you only need to do alignment once every 2 years or so (or ~24,000 km). Heck our Kia just went in for an alignment check at 30,000 km and everything was still in spec. Here's my take on alignment: If you don't notice it, it probably does not need to be done. If it is past 2 years, then do it. If you notice the tire is not straight, or if you hit a curb or a big pothole and you can visually see the damage, get it done.

Last but not least, vehicle alignment needs to be performed by a skilled technician who knows what to do and how to do the job properly. Even with top notch equipment, your car can be messed up very badly if it is used by untrainned hands. You might have a skilled technician looking at your car fist time and then an apprentice working on it the next time you bring it in. With that in mind, it might be best to have an alignment done when you really need it.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Cruisin'

The car pulled to the right ever so slightly. I have lifetime alignments for all my cars and bring them in regularly for alignments as more of a preventative maintenance. I only need to get 4 alignments done and will have broken even at that point. I also keep my cars for well over 10 years if possible (03 Accord - 100k miles, 04 Scion xA - 159k miles, 08 G37 - 85k miles, 16 RDX - 2.6k miles haha).

I'll have to get the alignments eventually so the lifetime price didn't matter to me considering how long I keep my cars and the fact that I get at least 1 alignment done per year minimum for each car regardless of whether it pulls or not. Again I just get them done to prevent them from wearing prematurely.

I understand the alignments are only as good as the tech but my tires have lasted a long time being done this way. I'll ask for the tech that specializes in lowered cars for my G37 but the other cars I'm not as worried about. My G37 has been getting this type of alignment treatment since I bought her new in 2008. The current front tires were put on back in 2012 and I've racked up 30k miles on those alone. Still have plenty of tread left too! I guess I'm just used to getting alignments done this way out of habit and years of good experiences with long tire life? *shrugs*
Old 08-26-2015, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Good thread life comes from correct tire pressure. Proper alignment promotes normal wear, but does not guarantee longer thread life.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM
The Original Shawdy

I have the lifetime alignment on my TL which is handy since I adjust ride height a few times a year so it made sense for me to get it. Haven't for the RDX yet. It's worth it though because after two alignments somewhere else you already got your money's worth be the rest is free. I always watch them do the alignments to make sure it's perfect every time.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Also don't forget that as part of the new car warranty, Acura will do certain things once during the first year for free - things like an alignment, tire balance, etc If I had my RDX pull after only a few weeks, I'd be back at the dealer for the pro-bono work for sure

andy
Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Good tip about the pro bono work.

So I called Firestone yesterday and talked to one of the guys at the shop. I told him I thought it was weird that the alignment printout listed the 2014 MDX vice the 2016 RDX and he said that their software has not been updated yet as the car is still too new. He told me the system usually picks the closest wheelbase equivalent if a certain car is not listed? If that's the case, why did it not choose the 2014 or 2015 RDX? As long as the car is tracking straight he said not to worry about it. He also said he drives an RX-7 but uses the specs for a Civic. I don't know if he was just throwing me a line because they haven't made a new RX-7 in years so I would assume that car would be in the system by now?

Either way the shop has been very good to all of my cars and in time the 2016 RDX will be in their system. They are pretty careful when working on my lowered G37.

I do the same as you carbonTSEX, I watch them to ensure my babies are taken care of. I'm not as worried at this particular shop because they are the only ones with an in ground lift so I don't have to worry about my car going up/down any ramps. I've been turned away from other shops that refused to work on lowered cars so I was ecstatic when I found out they used in ground lifts.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDXtasy
Good tip about the pro bono work.

So I called Firestone yesterday and talked to one of the guys at the shop. I told him I thought it was weird that the alignment printout listed the 2014 MDX vice the 2016 RDX and he said that their software has not been updated yet as the car is still too new. He told me the system usually picks the closest wheelbase equivalent if a certain car is not listed? If that's the case, why did it not choose the 2014 or 2015 RDX? As long as the car is tracking straight he said not to worry about it. He also said he drives an RX-7 but uses the specs for a Civic. I don't know if he was just throwing me a line because they haven't made a new RX-7 in years so I would assume that car would be in the system by now?

Either way the shop has been very good to all of my cars and in time the 2016 RDX will be in their system. They are pretty careful when working on my lowered G37.

I do the same as you carbonTSEX, I watch them to ensure my babies are taken care of. I'm not as worried at this particular shop because they are the only ones with an in ground lift so I don't have to worry about my car going up/down any ramps. I've been turned away from other shops that refused to work on lowered cars so I was ecstatic when I found out they used in ground lifts.
Here's the issue. The computer is not always right. The shop should have updated their computer software before they accept your car for wheel alignment. Your wheels could be messed up at this point and you might not know about it until you go in for the next alignment after they updated the software.

On a side note: Whether the owner's RX-7 aligns its wheels based on a civic has nothing to do with your car.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:09 PM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
Here's the issue. The computer is not always right. The shop should have updated their computer software before they accept your car for wheel alignment. Your wheels could be messed up at this point and you might not know about it until you go in for the next alignment after they updated the software.

On a side note: Whether the owner's RX-7 aligns its wheels based on a civic has nothing to do with your car.
WTH!? using Civic specs for a RX-7... That can not be correct and yes the RX-7 is old, it should be in their system. Even the RX-8 is probably in their system. I do agree they should at least have it up to date with the 13-15 RDX which would be identical to the 16'. I never had this issue when taking my 14' TL in when in 2013 after I installed my BC Racing coilovers. Hope all is well.