Replace high mount brake light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace high mount brake light assembly

My son managed to rip off the high mount brake assembly from the back of his Acura RDX 2014 (go figure)! The part seems quite intact and I was wondering if I could find instructions on replacing it with the same part or a new OEM replacement. I am quite a novice with cars. How hard is this likely to be? A project I can attempt or just take it in to the dealership and pay top dollar to have it replaced. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Imager
My son managed to rip off the high mount brake assembly from the back of his Acura RDX 2014 (go figure)! The part seems quite intact and I was wondering if I could find instructions on replacing it with the same part or a new OEM replacement. I am quite a novice with cars. How hard is this likely to be? A project I can attempt or just take it in to the dealership and pay top dollar to have it replaced. Thanks.
Can you attach a picture so we can figure out what happened and what you'll need to do to fix it.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
Can you attach a picture so we can figure out what happened and what you'll need to do to fix it.
Thanks, Ceb. I can and will certainly do that. In the meantime, I realized that what got ripped off is actually called the rear spoiler. Also, I managed to figure out that the spoiler is intact but the bolts holding it to the roof broke. I took out the broken ones and have a pretty good idea how to fix it back on. When I emailed my Acura dealership with some pictures of what I needed, they said I would need to replace the spoiler. No way that is true. So I need to figure out where to find these little bolts. There are 4 of them. I will post pictures tomorrow soon as I can take some. Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure if its a bolt or clip you need to replace, but this diagram should help identify what you need and order it.
TAILGATE (POWER) for 2014 Acura RDX
Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by alexderaven
Not sure if its a bolt or clip you need to replace, but this diagram should help identify what you need and order it.
TAILGATE (POWER) for 2014 Acura RDX
Thanks, Alexderaven. I looked at that diagram too but find it too tiny and confusing. I am attaching a couple of pictures here showing where the bolt/

Inner side of spoiler

The circular things are broken. Thats all.

The circular thing slides into a slot in the spoiler (where pencil is), and the bolt comes from inside the rear hood to lock into it.

clip goes into the spoiler and also of the broken part. I just need the circular thingy, not even the bolt that screws into it. Appreciate if you can decipher the diagram and identify the part.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:38 PM
4th Gear

I think it maybe part # 45 - Nut Garnish (M5). What do you think?