Rear hatch hitting garage door

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Rear hatch hitting garage door

I read the solution on a Mdx forum and it actually works.
Pool noodle or pipe insulation on the last garage door ridge for the peace of mind of car owners

Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
To OP: Mind if I ask How high is your garage door?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
To OP: Mind if I ask How high is your garage door?
Half an inch lower than the hatch fully open.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by giovane
Half an inch lower than the hatch fully open.
Good answer!

I'm afraid DW would find a way to hit one of the other cross pieces...or just drop the garage door on the hatch by closing it before looking to see IF it happened to be OPEN already!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Instructor

I am quite concerned about the tail-gate hitting the garage door when it is opened as well.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Good answer!

I'm afraid DW would find a way to hit one of the other cross pieces...or just drop the garage door on the hatch by closing it before looking to see IF it happened to be OPEN already!!!
These stop bumpers are so useful, wifey never has to wonder if she parked correctly

Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
well done OP! Very ingenious solution! Innovation at its finest
Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I read the solution on a Mdx forum and it actually works.
Pool noodle or pipe insulation on the last garage door ridge for the peace of mind of car owners

Wow - that is quite the structure on your garage door. Most I've seen have the horizontal pieces that you've protected with the pool noodle
, but the vertical box-frame pieces are something I've not seen before. That's probably what adds to the problem that you're seeing. My garage door is similar to yours, and would hit the same if I had vertical supports. Is that door like hurricane-proof or something?

andy
Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Wow - that is quite the structure on your garage door. Most I've seen have the horizontal pieces that you've protected with the pool noodle
, but the vertical box-frame pieces are something I've not seen before. That's probably what adds to the problem that you're seeing. My garage door is similar to yours, and would hit the same if I had vertical supports. Is that door like hurricane-proof or something?

andy
I don't know. It's a rental house and I should ask the landlord.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Instructor

The vertical supports acts as a frame to hold the thin piece of sheet metal. This garage door is not insulated and that's why you see the metal supports. If you have an insulated garage door, the metal support will be covered by another piece of sheet metal and insulation will be sprayed in between..
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Pro

These stop bumpers are so useful, wifey never has to wonder if she parked correctly

Ah, if only life were so simple
We have a Volvo C70 as well as the new wagon...switching sides from time to time and even backing in as needed. The little 'Stop sign' I bought for DW has taken a beating on the occasions that she is very tired when she gets home...or not paying attention...or mad at something...or just listening to a REALLY loud song on the radio. She could make mincemeat of those bumpers!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
The vertical supports acts as a frame to hold the thin piece of sheet metal. This garage door is not insulated and that's why you see the metal supports. If you have an insulated garage door, the metal support will be covered by another piece of sheet metal and insulation will be sprayed in between..
Wow, you're right! I guess here in NH everything is insulated when it comes to a metal door like this. But I will say that the supports are a lot thicker than even the insulated door itself (at least the one we have) - but probably necessary for a single sheet of metal like this.

andy
Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Pro

We don't have the cross piece on our insulated door. The part that would dig a hole in the hatch is the foot/hand 'handle' that facilitates opening/closing manually. It is bare metal(but I might still put something over it). I actually keep a noodle section IN the vehicle to cushion between the hatch and the garage door.(Doesn't mean EVERYbody will use it, however )

Another option might be the soft foam pipe insulation...in fact, I have some left over from another project. It's a smaller diameter and black(with double-stick tape for convenient installation of the insulation ). Not as much cushion; but should do the job.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

the only time I've had garage door interference problems with a hatch was with my old Tahoe, where the hatch would hit the door, especially where the wiper was. I ended up getting a foam square from home depot (I think it was used for padding under carpet or rugs) and I used contact cement and put it on the section of door that hit. Since you never park in exactly the same spot, I wanted to make sure it was big enough to compensate for different locations - I think it was like 2x2 feet or something. Anyway it didn't look bad and protected the car (and the door). You could probably use anything that would act as padding......

andy
Old 08-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh

andy
Originally Posted by CoachRick
We don't have the cross piece on our insulated door. The part that would dig a hole in the hatch is the foot/hand 'handle' that facilitates opening/closing manually. It is bare metal(but I might still put something over it). I actually keep a noodle section IN the vehicle to cushion between the hatch and the garage door.(Doesn't mean EVERYbody will use it, however )

Another option might be the soft foam pipe insulation...in fact, I have some left over from another project. It's a smaller diameter and black(with double-stick tape for convenient installation of the insulation ). Not as much cushion; but should do the job.
As soon as I saw those pics I knew this was a garage door in Houston. namely on the south side, I have the same reinforcement. It is for hurricane protection. It gives the garage door the strength it needs to stand up to 120 mph winds. Mine were tested during Ike up to 100 mph and came through without impact. They do add size to the door but worth it.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
As soon as I saw those pics I knew this was a garage door in Houston. namely on the south side, I have the same reinforcement. It is for hurricane protection. It gives the garage door the strength it needs to stand up to 120 mph winds. Mine were tested during Ike up to 100 mph and came through without impact. They do add size to the door but worth it.
Yes, and all the plywood panels against the wall are there for the same reason.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Yes, and all the plywood panels against the wall are there for the same reason.
Yup, I have my plywood too. Survived Ike and Rita before that, but Rita never really hit here. BTW, do yourself a favor, get some exterior latex paint and paint them. That way when they get wet they will not warp and you can use them over again.

Also, where did you get those bumpers? Are they glued to the floor?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Yup, I have my plywood too. Survived Ike and Rita before that, but Rita never really hit here. BTW, do yourself a favor, get some exterior latex paint and paint them. That way when they get wet they will not warp and you can use them over again.

Also, where did you get those bumpers? Are they glued to the floor?
It's not my house, but I will follow your suggestion when I will buy next year.
Bumpers stick to the floor with double sided tape. Bought them on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Camco 44442 AccuPark: Automotive Amazon.com: Camco 44442 AccuPark: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (08-09-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The garage doors are generally the weak link when it comes to hurricanes. Once the garage doors go, the whole house goes as the wind enters the garage, has no place to go and goes through the rest of the house.

If the garage doors stay intact then the house has a good chance of surviving - assuming that the roof is built to specs.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a simple and effective fix
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The laser aiming devices work as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
It is too bad Acura didn't make the power liftgate adjustable. Both a VW Touareg and Audi Q7 I had in the past could be adjusted so they didn't hit objects when quarters are tight. I was surprised to find the RDX didn't have this feature as the Hyundai Tuscon Limited I looked did....
Old 07-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
X2. Our rear hatch hits also...extremely annoying for a new car to have this happen.
especially after tossing recent notes about how the RAV4 was height adjustable.
can shorter struts be put in to lower the height?...or are there limits set for the travel and sensors?
Old 07-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Some (Kia for example) have adjustable travel. RDX does not.