Drive Line Vibration @ Around 1500 RPM and Upshifts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer

Who knows, maybe some day I'll get a call from them informing me that they have a pair of noise free shocks waiting for me to come down to have them installed.
The rear shocks on the RLX loaner I were given also make a clunking noise. According to Acura's website, the RLX has the same dual piston reactive dampers as the RDX I think. It must be a common issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Service Bulletin dated Jan. 15, 2014, #14-001, addresses this issue. I have the same problem with my 2013 AWD Tech RDX now with 13,500 miles. Acura's solution is a propeller shaft change.
My car goes to dealer(Apple Tree Acura, NC) on 2/26/2014.
DLangRDX
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
@rjm-1:
Is the issue still "fixed" for you/no more vibration?
I agree with you that I've heard others have had their computers re-flashed and that only fixed the issue for a few days. Curious if everything is still running perfect for you.

I've had my RDX since the first week it came out (April 2012) and began noticing the vibration/rumble around August 2012. I've had it in for service 4 times to address this issue with no luck. Really hoping this fixes the issue for good! Thanks!

Originally Posted by rjm-1
Just got my 2013 RDX back from the dealer after replacing the propeller shaft. No more vibration! You have to really think about the VCM to even notice it functioning. Very happy with the results.

Now let's hope it stays like this, because I've read where others have had their computers re-flashed and it also eliminated the VCM issues until the computer re-learned their driving habits and started making adjustments. Don't know whether they re-flashed my computer or not.

But for right now, I'm a Happy Camper!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Hi
I need to take my (2013 FWD) RDX for service soon and I still have a subtle (and bothering) vibration that i think is related to the VCM. I already asked this question but did not get a straight answer so here I go again:

Is this TSB only related to AWD models (with a propeller shaft) or it applies to all models (AWD and FWD)?

thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

I am not aware if this TSB applies only to AWD vehicles. Mine is AWD. I'll ask when I take it in to be fixed...but I wouldn't bet they will know...I'll report back.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, the Service Bulletin says 'Applies To: 2013–14 RDX – ALL' and the only corrective action is to replace the propeller shaft. FWD models don't have a propeller shaft, at least mine doesn't. So, I'd say that in reality it applies only to AWD models.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
"Propeller shaft" is the drive shaft, it applies to FWD RDX models too. Bring the TSB with you and get it fixed.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm still puzzled how the VCM has anything to do with causing a vibration in the drive/propeller shaft, unless the differences in engine vibration due to VCM are transferred to the shaft. And for those of us in warm climates, what happens if we ever drive in sub freezing temps after the warranty is up and find we have this issue? And does this get worse over time as the rubber ages/hardens?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
"Propeller shaft" is the drive shaft, it applies to FWD RDX models too. Bring the TSB with you and get it fixed.
Really? FWD cars don't have drive shafts (aka propeller shaft). Look at the bulletin and tell me if your FWD has one of what they show.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mdfree
I'm still puzzled how the VCM has anything to do with causing a vibration in the drive/propeller shaft, unless the differences in engine vibration due to VCM are transferred to the shaft. ...
I think it's probably something like that. Drive (propeller) shafts have resonance points and can cause lots of vibration problems (and worse) if the point happens to fall inside the normal rpm range. The replacements probably have a different resonance point and/or better dampening. Or the bad ones may be just very slightly out of balance. Or it might be both factors. Or neither.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Instructor

So it's been over a week since they swapped my "propeller shaft" and I no longer feel a vibration. I guess it wasnt a VCM vibration afterall.

I used to be able to duplicate the vibtation whenever I wanted by easing off the peddle, but I cannot anymore. It's gone, and hopefully for good.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ottoman101
So it's been over a week since they swapped my "propeller shaft" and I no longer feel a vibration. I guess it wasnt a VCM vibration afterall.

I used to be able to duplicate the vibtation whenever I wanted by easing off the peddle, but I cannot anymore. It's gone, and hopefully for good.

Wow. That's great to hear. I'm excited to hopefully get this issue resolved. I'll be taking my RDX in for service soon and will hopefully get this addressed. I'll update at that point.
Keep us posted...glad is resolved the issue for you and hopefully all of us!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer installed my new propeller shaft yesterday, picked it up this morning. I've only gone about 50 miles, but so far the vibration is completely gone. It's cold here today too, only about 25 degrees when I picked it up. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM
5th Gear

I posted above about my RDX's vibration problem. Today, at 6540 Kms my dealer replaced the propellor shaft as per the service bulletin posted above. Driving home was a pleasure as the car was back to what I experienced during the first 2000 Kms. So I will wait and see how this goes for the next few months. If yo do not hear from me you can assume all is good. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for all the comments and input.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I had mine replaced this morning. In and out in 1hour which included an oil change. Same outcome as the above post, it's all good.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Took my RDX to the dealer this morning for an oil change and to document the propeller vibration and the rear shock thump. I mentioned to the service manager about the Acura service documents and after a test drive, they ordered me a propeller shaft. Will be a week before I can get back there. I will reply on my progress after the replacement shaft. They say the shocks are fine.Thanks for all of you that have documented the issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Had the propeller shaft replaced last week. What a difference.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

I am excited to say that after having the propeller shaft changed in my 2013 RDX, there is basically no vibration and the issue appears fixed.

I purchased my 2013 RDX – AWD in April 2012, the second week they were available. For approximately the first 5,000 miles, all was great. However I slowly started to notice the vibration issue as discussed in this thread. I could tell you exactly when the vibration would occur and it did it every time. At 1,500 RPM (give or take a very small range) and after the vehicle shifted, the vibration would occur down the middle of the car. It would remain until the vehicle up/down shifted to above/below 1,500 RPM. It was worse when cold out, but very present in all temperatures.

In April 2013, I pressed my dealer harder to address the issue. They replicated it and had a service adviser drive with me. They agreed it was an “issue”, but no fix was available from Acura so nothing can be done. In late 2013, I took my RDX in for service again and mentioned the issue, hoping they could address it, however they stated they did not see any info from Acura.

I became aware of the service bulletin to address this issue in late February and was thrilled. I took my RDX to my Acura dealer and asked them if they had anything to address the issue. They were not aware of anything. I showed them the service bulletin but they were not aware of it. After they read through the bulletin, they made an appointment to try and replicate the issue in the service bulletin (even though they had a year earlier). A few days later, I was notified they replicated the issue and ordered a new propeller shaft.

Last week, I had the propeller shaft replaced. Since having it replaced, I’ve driven about 650 miles and basically have had no vibration since. I say basically, because one day when it was about 30 degrees, I did notice a slight vibration (same as it was previously), but only about 10% as strong. I was looking for the vibration every time I was in the vehicle, so thus why it was so noticeable to me, even though it was very mild compared to what it had been. However, other than that one evening, I have had no vibration issue.

After having the propeller shaft replaced, It truly is like having a brand new RDX. It is extremely smooth and is like I just picked it up with only 10 miles on it. Complete night and day difference. I was extremely frustrated driving the RDX due to the vibration issue but am back to loving the vehicle again. While I am thrilled, my only concern now is if the vibration issue will return after more miles are put on the vehicle. I didn't have any vibration issue for about the first 5,000 miles. I’m curious if 5,000 miles from now or longer, if the issue will return. Is it that the propeller shaft wears and over time the vibration will return, or was the shaft just bad and the new one will never have the issue?

Big picture – was the vibration issue a big deal? Probably not, but it really killed my enjoyment of driving the RDX. I had contacted multiple dealers trying to get this resolved. I contacted Acura Client relations many times. All attempts to address this just seemed to stop at: we can replicate but no fix is available, sorry. I am impressed that Acura did address it and think even more highly of them than I did before.

Thanks for everyone commenting and discussing this issue and especially for the person(s) who found the service bulletin to fix this. I’ll report back if I have ANY further vibration issue. Thanks Too All!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

it's been about 500 miles since the propeller shaft was replaced and the vibration is gone !!!!! I just hope it stays gone!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Thought I should add to this, since I used this forum to find the TSB and then go to the dealer. Bought my 2014 RDX AWD last August, starting noticing the vibration in January. Felt it around 1500RMP in all gears between 20 and 50 mph. Took it in to the dealer last week...mentioned the TSB, they offered to change the propeller shaft without much push-back. Loaner, which was also an 2014 AWD RDX, also had the vibration. Got the car back, completely smooth so far even though the weather has been warmer. Praying it holds. Completely different car when it is vibrating versus smooth. Drives me nuts when it is happening but I am back in love when it is not. Hope this helps others. Take care.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
no really, took mine (2013 FWD) to the dealer with the printout and they said in my face that this TSB only applied to AWD models. There you go
Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Pro

Makes sense. FWD cars don't have drive (propellor) shafts. As has been pointed out a couple times i this thread...
Old 03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
According to this, a drive shaft is a propeller shaft: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-drive-shaft.htm

I apologize for the confusion on my part.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer just ordered a drive shaft for my car... I told them about the bulletin when I went in for my B123 maintenance..

Looking forward to the vibration going away!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Greetings! Maybe I'm just having a "senior moment", but I'm confused. Reading through the posts about the vibration issue, I get the impression that TSB 14-001 only applies to AWD models yet some people said they have FWD models with the same issue. Can someone clarify this? Anyone with a FWD RDX that had the vibration problem but it has been fixed?

Also, since the TSB seems to rectify the problem (at least for AWD vehicles), can I safely presume that later 2014 or new 2015 RDX models are free from this problem? I had an older MDX (2003) that was a joy to own and am now considering a 2014 or 2015 RDX (unsure whether AWD or FWD), but I do not want to pay a lot of money for a vehicle with issues.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimV32
Greetings! Maybe I'm just having a "senior moment", but I'm confused. Reading through the posts about the vibration issue, I get the impression that TSB 14-001 only applies to AWD models yet some people said they have FWD models with the same issue. Can someone clarify this? Anyone with a FWD RDX that had the vibration problem but it has been fixed?

Also, since the TSB seems to rectify the problem (at least for AWD vehicles), can I safely presume that later 2014 or new 2015 RDX models are free from this problem? I had an older MDX (2003) that was a joy to own and am now considering a 2014 or 2015 RDX (unsure whether AWD or FWD), but I do not want to pay a lot of money for a vehicle with issues.
I drive a FWD 2013 RDX and when the VCM engages I dont feel a marked vibration but something very subtle, a weird noise coming from the engine bay, not smooth at all.
To me it sounds similar to driving a manual at 20mph in 5th or 6th gear.

About this VCM characteristic, It bothers me but somehow I have adapted and it doesnt get to me as before. What has me thinking now is the suspension; way too noisy in my opinion and when i hit one of these speed bumps faster than usual I hear a clunking noise coming from the rear
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Is there an indicator that tells you when VCM is engaged? I've seen a few posts where it seems as if people "know" when it's engaged and I am wondering how they know this? From the description of the system, it seems that it's engaged/active most of the time other than heavy acceleration. Other than some vibration at idle, I haven't noticed any indication that it's on or off or how many cylinders it's running on.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
While I'm aware this is an older thread, Has there been a definitive solution to the vibration issue? After R&R the drive shaft, has anyone experienced a return of the vibration?
Thanks, Sumoto
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sumoto
While I'm aware this is an older thread, Has there been a definitive solution to the vibration issue? After R&R the drive shaft, has anyone experienced a return of the vibration?
Thanks, Sumoto
My drive shaft was replaced almost 6 months ago, and the vibration has not returned.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the followup information.
Sumoto

Originally Posted by ottoman101
My drive shaft was replaced almost 6 months ago, and the vibration has not returned.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Mine was replaced a couple of months ago and the vibration came back, but it was dued to warped rotors. The dealer resurfaced the rotors and the car has been smooth ever since.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

My driveshaft was replaced in February 2014 and there has been absolutely no vibration - the car has driven like-new since it was replaced.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

This is good news. I had the vibration in the winter last year but haven't since the warmer weather hit. Good to know there a solution if it returns this winter.

Originally Posted by 1CleanRDX
Is there an indicator that tells you when VCM is engaged? I've seen a few posts where it seems as if people "know" when it's engaged and I am wondering how they know this? From the description of the system, it seems that it's engaged/active most of the time other than heavy acceleration. Other than some vibration at idle, I haven't noticed any indication that it's on or off or how many cylinders it's running on.
The only way I know of is to watch the MPG meter, it dips off significantly when the vcm engages. I can't feel it myself
Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear

Drive Line Vibration

Drive Line Vibration persisted after prop. shaft replacement, and in August 2014 Torque Converter replaced. Neither has solved the problem - very disappointing.
Car is back with dealer and I await verdict. It is now 2 yr. old with 19,500 miles. Surely my first and last Acura.
DLangRDX
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DLangRDX
Drive Line Vibration persisted after prop. shaft replacement, and in August 2014 Torque Converter replaced. Neither has solved the problem - very disappointing.
Car is back with dealer and I await verdict. It is now 2 yr. old with 19,500 miles. Surely my first and last Acura.
DLangRDX
For what it's worth, I just had my rear differential fluid replaced at around 15K miles because of a phantom message, but it made a world of difference! Now the car drives super smooth and I actually enjoy driving it.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Check out x3

Originally Posted by DLangRDX
DLangRDX
I had a 2013 FWD RDX with tech and I have a suggestion for u:
Check in the bimmer dealers for a leftover 2014 x3 (I recommend xdrive28i with premium pkg, driver assist pkg, lightning pkg, and something like fine line wave wood trim; M sport pkg is awesome but costly and I doubt you will find it in a leftover 2014). You could aim for a +6k discount (or maybe even +7k depending on location) if you find any that interest you

you won't be disappointed; it will be a HUGE upgrade in almost every aspects: very sporty, super smooth, a true AWD system that can distribute power up to 100% to each axis, excellent in stop/go traffic, good on gas, fast, planted when taking turns hot, beautiful front and rear LEDs, great iDrive system, rear AC vents, power passenger seat, humongous pano sunroof, great ergonomics and driver feels very high in vehicle with great visibility 360 degrees, excellent 8 spd ZF trans and great little turbo 2.0l, 1y free sat radio, 10y free bmw connect and free maintenance for 4y/50k miles

CONS: it comes with RFTs and no spare, supposedly reliability is worse than Acura for long term ownership, warranty (incl power train) runs for only 4y/50k miles and the X3 is more expensive than RDX; but that's why I suggesting a leftover 2014 model with huge discounts

Go and test drive it; you can thank me later
Old 03-07-2015, 05:45 PM
6th Gear

Hi all, 1st post! Digging up an old thread.We leased a 2015 RDX AWD about three weeks ago and have less than 500 miles on her so far. When we first drove the car we did not notice any vibration at all in the drivetrain no matter the speed. Well winter returned and we had snow, ice a sub-zero weather for the past 2 weeks and the car has picked up a vibration at 38-70 mph and in 5th or 6th gear. Even throwing it neutral does not stop the vibration. At first I thought ice build up or something along those lines. But it has warmed up here and the vibration is still there, maybe even more pronounced. I have a Tuesday appt to have her looked at. Has anybody else had this problem with a 2015?

Thanks,
James
Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

I've not heard about the issue specifically in 2015's. Mine was a 2013 and had the drive shaft vibration really bad. Once the drive shaft was replaced, the issue went away (In early 2014). The vibration has not returned.
I'd be curious if this issue remains in 2015's. Let us know if you get your drive shaft replaced.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:28 PM
6th Gear

Well dropped her off today, no news yet. They put me in a loaner RDX awd and it has no vibrations at all. Lucky me...
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 20RDX15
Well dropped her off today, no news yet. They put me in a loaner RDX awd and it has no vibrations at all. Lucky me...
How did you make out with this? My Wife and I are looking at a new unit presently although this could be a deal breaker.
thanks, Sumoto

Quick Reply: Drive Line Vibration @ Around 1500 RPM and Upshifts....