Adaptive cruise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Adaptive cruise

Getting very close to purchasing 2017 advance. During test drive salesperson had adaptive cruise on while on the highway. When we exited the car did not see the stopped cars ahead of us and the car continue on exit at high way speed until salesperson hit the brakes to disengage the system. Maybe I don't understand the RDX features but I thought like my dads Subaru it auto brakes too which did not appear to have worked yet.

So so I researched here some and found a few that claim that adaptive does not see slow or stopped vehicles.

i would greatly appreciate hearing from others if this common before I purchase. Thanks Steve
Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

Will try again and apologize if first post was confusing . . . Test drove 2017 RDX advance car.

Salesperson was using adaptive cruse on highway and it seemed to work fine. Similar to my dad's outback. Then he exited highway to turn around. As we going down the highway exit the car was accelerating. This concerned me because about 100 - 150 feet away there were cars that had stopped at the intersection. Did not get the impresssion that the adaptive cruise system "saw" the stopped cars. I would have expected or atleast wanted the system to see the cars and begin slowing.

Salesperson did not say anything at the time but I noticed that he had to hit the brakes to disengage the system.

I am aware that adaptive cruise and auto braking are two separate features but it seemed to me that the auto braking should have overrided the adaptive cruise program.

Am I missing someting? Does the RDX not have auto braking?

I would appreciate hearing from others on whether this has happened before? Also, if I was just trying to use the system in the wrong way - assuming autobraking would override adaptive cruise.

Any other complaints about the car would be appreciated. I realize no car is perfect and the RDX is a good value. I have read a little about noise complaints and if that is common please advise. Want to make good choice before I spend 40+k on a car.

I appreciate your time, Steve
Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The ACC/CMBS use the same radar system. You can't have ACC without CMBS ability to slow the vehicle down. The FCW uses a camera in the upper windshield to assist the CMBS radar. Unfortunately, the driving aids for Acura vehicles work best when you really don't need them like open level and straight highways that are clearly marked in good daylight weather. The effectiveness % goes down as you add in poor weather, heavy traffic, winding roads, hills, on/off ramps, pedestrians, bikes, tunnels, limited light, poorly marked roads, construction sites, etc...

Acura never shows in its documentation the Acura Watch System being able to come to a complete stop like the Subaru system. Acura Watch is designed to alert, start the braking process to reduce the severity of an unavoidable collision, and prepare you for a collision (seat belt pretensioners). It does not prevent collision or stop the vehicle automatically. It is still the driver's responsibility to operate the brake pedal and steering wheel appropriately according to the driving conditions (Acura's standard disclaimer). If the salesman didn't hit the brakes; the Acura would have rear ended the car in-front of you with CMBS alarm sounding /RDX hard on the brakes/seat belt pre-tensioners going off at the same time with the air bags deploying (hopefully not recalled Takata air bags).

Most likely, the ACC function was still engaged on the off ramp and the CMBS feature didn't reach its safety threshold to engage yet. I think the CMBS has a limitation of 62 mph or less for it to engage. Taking an off ramp at that speed may/may not engage the CMBS with a parked car at a stop in front of you (that is 1 of 41 Environmental, Road, Vehicle, Detection, and Pedestrian limitations of CMBS, pg 322 of owner's manual).

Link: Owner's Manuals | 2016 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

Other than Subaru and a few other systems that are close like Mazda's i-Activesense; coming to a full stop 99.999% from any speed (city and hwy) seems to be an extremely tough nut to crack. I just have ACC, CMBS, BSI on my 11 MDX with even more limitations than the 2nd Gen Acura Watch system; but, it has worked and it might have saved me from at least one front end collision (alerted me, started the braking process to give me time to make a decision at 80 mph with debris flying out of a towed boat in front of me). I like the Gen 1 Acura Watch so much, my next vehicle must have the Gen 2 Acura Watch system included.

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-23-2016 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stevewr450f (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, thankful for taking the time to explain how the RDX safety systems work. Salesperson gave me the impression it worked the same as the Subaru system. But maybe I need to rethink what safety systems I actually need. The best safety feature is having the driver stay alert. Appreciate your time. Steve
Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
When are people going to get it through their heads that you should listen to NOTHING a car salesman has to say.
snorf (07-02-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The Acura and Honda systems are pretty good and you can really see the value of them once you see it in action. You just have to read the owner's manual and understand the limitations and false positive of the system like:
- some over head bridges may give a false brake alert (I think the radar is bouncing back from the bridge and/or large road signs on the bridge?)
- long curves when a vehicle/semi-truck in front you in another lane is in your line of sight causing ACC to disengage or cause the CMBS to alert
- winding roads with trees (shortening the ACC range helps)
- ACC is slow to accelerate back to cruising speed after slowing down (couple of taps on the paddles solves this problem)
- heavy snow/ice built up on front grill can turn off ACC/CMBS

You have the ability to turn off one, some,or all the Acura Watch features if they don't work for your situation. Considering the price, amount of features you get, and break on insurance rate makes the system pay for itself if you use it one time in an emergency.
BPalladium (02-09-2019)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
really enjoyed the ACC on a road trip from Univ of toledo to Buffalo. first time really using it and it works well. 34.8 mpg on drive home.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by kipsy
really enjoyed the ACC on a road trip from Univ of toledo to Buffalo. first time really using it and it works well. 34.8 mpg on drive home.
Congrats on your mileage. I've done a number of tanks of fuel with purely highway miles while using ACC and have never came near what you got for mileage. What year is your RDX and is it a 4 cyl? I typically drive speed limit plus 1-2 mph and have never gotten over 27 mpg.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
We see both extremes. Around town, we routinely get about 17 MPG, and we do not have heavy feet. On a long trip, we have gotten over 30 MPG (maybe around 33).
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 rdx

My 2017 RDX's auto braking works flawlessly. Almost too well sometimes. Even on the longest distance setting when ACC is on, it automatically brakes way before it's necessary. It's a little annoying when on the freeway, and you come up on a slower car. The RDX slows way too early, and when I switch lanes to pass, it takes a few seconds for the ACC to kick back in and accelerate back to my set speed. Other than that---it's saved me a couple of times already (I'm a know tailgater!).
Old 08-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
System works best for me on the highway. Around town, it seems to be awfully sensitive to traffic ahead of me that's turning off the road. Even though the vehicle is well clear, it tends to panic.

I've had one instance passing a semi with a guard rail in the right that had a large number of vertical metal posts in it where the system slammed on the brakes to the point the antilock began functioning. That was rather a bit of a surprise at 80 mph. Otherwise, it's been generally very helpful at teaching me to pull into the passing lane much sooner - along with the LDWS teaching me to signal when I do that.