2014 RDX rough gear shifting..Tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 RDX rough gear shifting..Tranny issue?

I just purchased the vehicle last week. didn't feel anything when I first test drove it but now that I'm driving it often I feel like the gear shifting is really rough. is this an Acura thing or is there an underlying issue I don't know. The car is fairly new 36,000 km and still under warranty so I'm not concerned in that sense. should I do a tranny flush? or just take it back to the dealership?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Ours is a 2016 and it shifts rough / hard all the time - i.e. it's standard operation for it. We also often hear light "clunk" sounds when shifting or when coming to a stop. I think it's probably more noticeable to us because we came from a 6 cyl Toyota which was buttery smooth. I know I'll get flamed for this, but IMHO and my experience the Honda/Acura 6 cyl is not in the same league as the Toyota.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM
4th Gear

I was driving a 2008 Hyundai Azera and the shifting was so smooth. very disappointed with it so far! not to mention my 2008 has features the 2016 doesn't have. I will be going to the dealer and document it so that if I have any issues in the future they know I went in for it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snorf
Ours is a 2016 and it shifts rough / hard all the time - i.e. it's standard operation for it. We also often hear light "clunk" sounds when shifting or when coming to a stop. I think it's probably more noticeable to us because we came from a 6 cyl Toyota which was buttery smooth. I know I'll get flamed for this, but IMHO and my experience the Honda/Acura 6 cyl is not in the same league as the Toyota.
Once again I fully agree with a comment from snorf. The "clunk" sound when shifting is a signature of this car(mine is 2015). And like snorf I also came from a 6 cyl Toyota (in my case a 2009 RAV4) prior to the RDX and yes Toyota 6 cyl are slightly higher league.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
It's not reasonable to extrapolate to every Acura and Toyota based on the few that you have owned. We have both an RDX and a TL (and have had Toyotas before that), and both of our Acuras have "buttery smooth" shifting, but it would not be right for me to claim that all Acuras have such smooth shifting. It's unfortunate that your Acura does not shift smoothly, but that does not mean that all Acuras do not shift smoothly. I don't know whether I am lucky or you are unlucky, but I doubt that either of us can make blanket statements about Acuras and Toyotas based on our limited experiences.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vbgregg
It's not reasonable to extrapolate to every Acura and Toyota based on the few that you have owned. We have both an RDX and a TL (and have had Toyotas before that), and both of our Acuras have "buttery smooth" shifting, but it would not be right for me to claim that all Acuras have such smooth shifting. It's unfortunate that your Acura does not shift smoothly, but that does not mean that all Acuras do not shift smoothly. I don't know whether I am lucky or you are unlucky, but I doubt that either of us can make blanket statements about Acuras and Toyotas based on our limited experiences.
Totally agree with you. I have owned a number of Honda products and a number two Toyotas. Each of the Hondas shifted hard and they Toyotas were far smoother. I occasionally drive Hondas and Toyotas that belong to friends and it has been my experience with each of those that the Hondas shift hard and the Toyotas shift smooth. I frequently rent cars when traveling and I have never rented anything that shifts as hard as Hondas either. Perhaps it's just my experience, but that's all I can relate to.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vbgregg
It's all subjective. I have a close friend with a 6 cyl accord who thinks it shifts almost seamlessly (he says he can't feel it). I often drive his car and I think it shifts as hard or harder than our RDX. I think Hondas have always shifted hard. I'm not suggesting that's good or bad, but merely a characteristic of Honda transmissions for years.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, you are right about it being subjective. We had a 6 cylinder Toyota Camry before our Acuras and it always seemed to shift smoothly as well (in my opinion). It did not seem any better or worse than our current cars, but maybe I was not sensitive to what you are talking about. It's possible that if I became tuned in to what you are talking about, I would notice it every time (and that it would bug me from that time forward).