Front license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front license plate bracket

What are people doing about the front license plate bracket. Mine was already installed, which means a whole drilled right in the front. Not sure if it comes to the dealer like this or not. I sort of filled in the hole with touch-up paint for now. Anyway, what do other people do about this.

BTW, I realize that (California) state law requires a front license plate, but I've been here for twenty years, with a total of 9 cars in that time. Never installed a front license plate, never got a ticket (even though I've had my share of speeding and parking tickets).

Thanks,
Mike Todd
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Florida does not require a front plate and I have several from different new cars still in their plastic bags in my garage. Not sure why I did not get one with the RDX - maybe they only send them with cars destined for front plate states as a cost cutting measure.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Back in Georgia, only rear tags were required; but my brand new Volvo C70 convertible had a dealer tag installed on the front!!! Removed the offending bracket and put paint matched aluminum screws in the holes(rather than trying to 'patch') Drove it that way for 3.5 years.

Even though Texas is stumbling through some legal-ese loophole type nonsense, the state still requires a front tag. I've heard stories of folks not installing front tags for over 18 years; but My Darling got stopped FOUR days after we got here...you guessed it...for not having the front tag displayed. I have reluctantly installed one on each of our vehicles since.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
My RDX looks like it has screw holes underneath the front bumper for the license bracket to screw into.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

Just checked the bracket dealer gave me for the front plate... It doesn't even line up with the bottom holes..unless I'm missing something.... Also I don't see how it can be secured without a hole through the front. CA owners: how did you install the front plate holder??
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in California and the dealer had it installed already. I actually prefer not having. On my last car, VW GTI, they drilled into the front bumper 5 holes to install the plate. I paid to have holes filled and repainted. I think I will leave the plate on the RDX for now.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Anybody have a no drilling/no holes solution to this problem?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
On my TSX, I bought some plastic plugs (black, with quills, so they don't come out of the hole) at Autozone and some Acura touch-up paint. Painted the plugs, light sand, spray clearcoat. Then popped them in the holes. Just makes sure there is no flashing in the holes from when they drilled them, or the plugs won't sit flush.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bracket was also already pre-installed from the dealership and when I took it off the other day, I noticed that they also drilled through my front bumper. So I had to order a set of plugs from bumperplugs.com with the respective color match and now it's not that bad anymore. Those things were not cheap too but I just had to do it. Sigh
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
When we bought our RDX, we'd decided to get a black one. Then, we saw that the one in stock had the bracket screwed into the bumper. We then decided to go with a gray one that didn't have a bracket. Turns out the black one was a dealer trade. My dealer doesn't put the brackets on, since we're in Georgia, where there's no front tag mandate. But plenty of other dealers do, even though they're not necessary. Dealers who vandalize bumpers to simply advertise their shops are pathetic.

When I bought my 2003 CL, it had the bracket on. It bolted to the bottom of the bumper using bolts that were installed at the factory. When I took the bracket off, it it looked completely clean.

I don't know why it's so hard to design the brackets to be more like those on the CL. You shouldn't have to vandalize a car to comply with a common law.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 AM
10th Gear

Front plates suck. Required inTx
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by AnalogDE
My RDX looks like it has screw holes underneath the front bumper for the license bracket to screw into.
Same for mine
Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
can a current owner of a gen 2 RDX confirm how the front plate/plate bracke attachs to the front bumper? Is it just screwed into the plastic or are the actually screw recpticles behind the bumper (like my 04 S2000 had and likely how the rear attaches)?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

Fron plate ticket

Originally Posted by dedalus5550
BTW, I realize that (California) state law requires a front license plate, but I've been here for twenty years, with a total of 9 cars in that time. Never installed a front license plate, never got a ticket (even though I've had my share of speeding
And there are those of us who have gotten a ticket for no license plate on the front. Not on this car but in the past.
So now I am online to see how to mount the piece of plastic crap that was in my tire well. I found a couple of utubes on how to do it. I got my car from Florida. I notice the first generation came with a mount that didn't put holes in the bumper -- wonder why they ended that style?

Just posting to let Californians know that some cops do enforce the front plate law, although I've seen thousands (millions?) of vehicle not sporting the sporty front plates.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I took a 2013 front bracket, filed and trimmed to clear the contours of the 16+ bumper. I used two 90* brackets and screwed upwards into the bumper. The bottom mounting screws mount like the normal setup from the bottom. No screwing into the visible front face of the bumper. I like the middle carved line of the bumper better now that it shows.