RDX AWD gas mileage in city driving

Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX AWD gas mileage in city driving

I bought a new 2017 RDX AWD couple of days back. I've been driving mostly city roads at speeds below 50 mph. Average mileage A shows 13.5 mpg most of the time. Does it mean I won't get 19 mpg per Acura specs ? I wanted to know how much mileage others here are getting in their RDX AWD. ANy help is greatly appreciated !

Thaks
NP
Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
My 2016 RDX now has 44231 KM (27,400 miles). In summer driving in the city I average about 19 MPG, and I am far from gentle with accelerator. In our Ontario winters I will get about 15.7 MPG in the city.

On the highway my very best was 28.8, and the average of my 5 best tank fulls was 27.8 MPG.

I use 91 octane gas, and have the transmission in sport mode whenever I drive in heavier traffic.

The mileage hasn't really changed since the first few months of ownership, so I can't really agree when some people say it will get better after it is broken in. I also can't confirm if using the 91 octane is responsible for the decent mileage because I have never used anything else.

This data was obtained from a spreadsheet where I have recorded every single fill-up since purchasing the RDX. That is 105 fill-ups to date.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by loves2drive
Average mileage A shows 13.5 mpg most of the time.
Trip "A" and trip "B" can be programmed to reset automatically at various times. For example I have Trip A reset automatically at every fill-up, while Trip B is reset at the same time my maintenance minder is reset, or in other words at every oil change.

So without knowing when your Trip A was last reset, we can't really predict what your average gas mileage will be. Have you added gas since your purchase or are you still on the original tank?. The engine could have been idling a long time while the salesman did the feature demonstrations at the time you picked it up.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for detailed info RDX-rick.

I have almost half tank of fuel left before my first fill up. I am planning to use the Acura recommended 91 octane gas. I was wondering if it is showing low average mileage due to brand new engine. If I the low mileage issue persists I would need to take it to Acura service and get it checked out.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Trip "A" and trip "B" can be programmed to reset automatically at various times. For example I have Trip A reset automatically at every fill-up, while Trip B is reset at the same time my maintenance minder is reset, or in other words at every oil change.

So without knowing when your Trip A was last reset, we can't really predict what your average gas mileage will be. Have you added gas since your purchase or are you still on the original tank?. The engine could have been idling a long time while the salesman did the feature demonstrations at the time you picked it up.
Oh ok ! I guess it has to do with trip meters. I was wondering why there' A at the end of "Average Mileage" The sales person ran the engine for about 10 minutes whie explaning the touch screen menus. After I reached home I spent a few minutes exploring the menus. I guess Average mileage is reduced if the engine ran idling. Thanks !

Search this Thread