DIY on bulb replacement on 2015 RDX

Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY on bulb replacement on 2015 RDX

Anyone know of a DIY on bulb replacement on a 2015 RDX? I searched youtube but did not find any.

Appreciate the help...

VT
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
What bulb are you looking to change?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
What bulb are you looking to change?
You mean there is more than one bulb?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

The low beam. Thinking of replacing the halogens with Cree LEDs. So I managed to unhook the wiring harness. I tried twisting the cover off, but it would not budge. Just wondering if there is another method to the madness...

Thanks!

VT
Old 01-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check owners manual pgs. 287/288
The following users liked this post:
vhtan00 (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by joebxr
read the manual? Do you really such extreme measures are required?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by joebxr
Thanks joebxr. I guess I need better leverage to twist the cover (for the low beam). I tried to twisting it, but it was extremely tight and would not budge.

VT
Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Just want to give everyone an update. So, I order the following LED bulb from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOR4CFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOR4CFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI, the dust cover to the bulb is PIA to remove and an even bigger PIA to reinstall. Absolutely a poor design by Acura. First, the location of the low beam bulb is hidden under each front corner of the engine compartment. There's enough space to work on the passenger side front corner, but the other side is rather tight unless you want to move the battery. To remove the dust cover, it requires quite a bit leverage. Once the dust cover is removed, you will have to feel your way around the bulb opening as you will not be able to see it.

The item I bought above will require quite a bit of modification to the dust cover if you want it to work. I was going to attempt to do so if the new LED bulb made a big difference, but after I installed the new LED bulb, the projection was off the mark. The output was definitely much brighter, but with the light projection off skewed, I decided to reinstall the factory halogen bulbs.

As I was trying to put everything back together, I was having a difficult time trying to put the dust cover back to the original position. I tried it over and over again for over 30 minutes and the tabs would not align properly. Each time I twist it, one of the tabs will slide off the grove.

Anybody have got an advise on how to properly put it back in place? Appreciate your help...

TIA!

VT

Last edited by vhtan00; 03-22-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:43 AM
Cruisin'

Figured I'd reply in here rather than open up another thread, but my wife and I just picked up a 2013 RDX to replace her TSX, and I've already purchased a few things including Phillips Crystal Vision H11's. It's already been mentioned, but man are the dust covers almost impossible to remove while the headlight is mounted on. The passenger side has only enough room for me to turn the cover about 1/4 turn, after that the tabs are in an awkward position where I can't get enough leverage to fully rotate it after that. I didn't try the drivers side, but I just replaced the battery so, I don't think there will be any issues with that side.

I was looking online to see if perhaps there was something else that I wasn't doing in order to get the bulbs removed, but nothing came up. I did find directions on how to remove the front bumper, so I'll probably just do that and then remove the headlight assembly for much easier access. I'll try to post some pictures up once I'm done.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
yup. in the 2013-2015, the space is real tight...need small hands and you'll still get all cut up. I believe the inner high beam/drl light is a 9005? h11 are fog lights.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acura604
yup. in the 2013-2015, the space is real tight...need small hands and you'll still get all cut up. I believe the inner high beam/drl light is a 9005? h11 are fog lights.
Did the install a couple of weeks ago but removed the bumper in order to do so. I started with the passenger side (removed the headlight assembly first). I didn't realize that the dust cover doesn't screw on (I didn't even think about it). It only turns maybe like 1/4" at most. Once you've turned it that much counter-clockwise, just pull if off. It may take some force since the o-ring seal is on there pretty snug, but it should come off.

After I put the passenger side back on, the driver side I just had to remove the battery, but was able to replace the bulb without removing the assembly. That side took maybe 10 minutes altogether. After it was all said and done, it took me about 2-3hrs because of the bumper removal (wouldn't budge for sometime), and I had to re-wire the LED foglights because it was done by the prior owner, however the work was pretty shoddy.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:20 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sekngen
Did the install a couple of weeks ago but removed the bumper in order to do so. I started with the passenger side (removed the headlight assembly first). I didn't realize that the dust cover doesn't screw on (I didn't even think about it). It only turns maybe like 1/4" at most. Once you've turned it that much counter-clockwise, just pull if off. It may take some force since the o-ring seal is on there pretty snug, but it should come off.

After I put the passenger side back on, the driver side I just had to remove the battery, but was able to replace the bulb without removing the assembly. That side took maybe 10 minutes altogether. After it was all said and done, it took me about 2-3hrs because of the bumper removal (wouldn't budge for sometime), and I had to re-wire the LED foglights because it was done by the prior owner, however the work was pretty shoddy.
I'd be VERY appreciative if you could share details how you removed the headlight assembly. I want to switch out the parking lamps to Zevo but they are IMPOSSIBLE to get at!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtan00
Just want to give everyone an update. So, I order the following LED bulb from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI, the dust cover to the bulb is PIA to remove and an even bigger PIA to reinstall. Absolutely a poor design by Acura. First, the location of the low beam bulb is hidden under each front corner of the engine compartment. There's enough space to work on the passenger side front corner, but the other side is rather tight unless you want to move the battery. To remove the dust cover, it requires quite a bit leverage. Once the dust cover is removed, you will have to feel your way around the bulb opening as you will not be able to see it.

The item I bought above will require quite a bit of modification to the dust cover if you want it to work. I was going to attempt to do so if the new LED bulb made a big difference, but after I installed the new LED bulb, the projection was off the mark. The output was definitely much brighter, but with the light projection off skewed, I decided to reinstall the factory halogen bulbs.

As I was trying to put everything back together, I was having a difficult time trying to put the dust cover back to the original position. I tried it over and over again for over 30 minutes and the tabs would not align properly. Each time I twist it, one of the tabs will slide off the grove.

Anybody have got an advise on how to properly put it back in place? Appreciate your help...

TIA!

VT
Did the removal and install several time this weekend to trouble shoot a dim headlight problem. To remove the low beam cover, first disconnect the wire harness, then twist it CCW about 60 degrees. A ful quarter turn is not needed since the tab doesn't span 30 degrees over all. At this point, if the cover does not come off, it is because of the gasket sealing it in tight. It's a tough angle and of course easier with the removal of the battery connection but you can take a dull flat blade screwdriver and gently pry the cover off AFTER the 60-90 degrees CCW turn. The friction on the gasket is the only thing keeping it in. Don't keep turning CCW if it does not come off.

As far as putting it back in, push it in after aligning it. There should be a very small gap and once you turn in CW, the gap should close as the tab engages.