2014 Tech rear subwoofer access

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile 2014 Tech rear subwoofer access

Hi Group, has anyone removed the carpeted plastic panel on the passenger side of the cargo area to gain access to the subwoofer? It looks to me like you have to remove the hard plastic panels above that panel before it can be removed. Is that true? Are these panels hard to remove and re-install? The little chrome cargo hold-down latches on the carpeted panel seem to be attached or screwed to something very solid behind, but I can't see any screws.
I'd also like to upgrade the 2 small speakers that are kinda in their own little pods up close to the ceiling back there, has anyone upgraded these? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Hey sorry for the late reply. I have removed the panel where the sbn is when I installed an aftermarket sub ( needed to tap into the factory sub wires). From what I remember, you have to remove the plastic covers underneath the chrome hold down latches to gain access to the screws. You also have to remove the bottom tray and spare tire and from there, if I am not mistaken you can pop the entire panel out. It's been awhile. I have not replaced any speakers as I installed the aftermarket sub and ano in my wife's 2016.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Racer

Thanks very much. So did you put an enclosure with sub in the rear cargo area?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Racer

Also, was it not feasible to upgrade the sub speaker itself and install it where the factory sub is, and put in an amp somewhere? (I think I recall you saying you somehow managed to put the amp in where the spare is). I'd love to get more bass back there but I can't put a sub enclosure in the rear cargo space, I need all that space for work stuff. I even considered flipping the spare upside down (cutting off the u-shaped mounting bracket) and mounting a new sub speaker in the flat panel that covers it...but that's just not gonna be to feasible either....
Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Yes I added a sub and box in the rear cargo area. Amp is mounted to the box so it doesn't take up space. It's not worth trying to swap in a different sub where the factory one is. Won't work. If the tire mount wasn't in the way I probably would have went with a box that fits under the rear cargo tray.
The following users liked this post:
Skidoor (01-27-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Yes I added a sub and box in the rear cargo area. Amp is mounted to the box so it doesn't take up space. It's not worth trying to swap in a different sub where the factory one is. Won't work. If the tire mount wasn't in the way I probably would have went with a box that fits under the rear cargo tray.
is it possible for you to post a couple pics of what the setup looks like? I posted in the audio and tech forum about being interested in swapping out the stock sub for an aftermarket and was also told that I would need to get a custom box made.

space was one of the reasons I also bought the 16 rdx but if it means I gotta take up some space back there to get better sound, I might just have to do it