Power rear hatch DIY?

Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power rear hatch DIY?

Is it possible to make a non tech rear hatch into a power hatch. Just looking to install a button on the hatch, nothing in the front seat or even on the fob.
Thoughts? Anyone ever done this?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Anything's possible but a powered door or hatch involves a lot more than a motor and lifting rod. There are sensors in the loop to be sure the hatch stops and reverses if it hits something (handy when it prevents an arm being severed on the way down or the hatch blasting through the garage door if you've forgotten to open it) plus sensors and servos to unlatch the hatch and to assure it is properly latched and prevent operation when the vehicle is moving or in gear etc.

Anyway, a junkyard will be your friend if you decide to move forward with the project. You can probably find everything necessary (different rear inner panel where the motor is housed and lifting rod exits, different inner hatch cover (probably easier just to get a whole new hatch so you get everything already installed), motor, wiring....) without a huge investment.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will consider the options you have presented. I do not why, but for some reason I just want a power hatch. Even considering trading my RDX for a Q5 to get one.
Cheers

Search this Thread