If your USB says "Unsupported", don't use Quick Format

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your USB says "Unsupported", don't use Quick Format

I had this problem, I tried using my old USB stick and using a micro SD card with a USB reader, neither worked. The USB stick was originally formatted in Mac, and the SD card as NTSF. I read through the forum and realized that I needed to use FAT32.

I formated the devices as FAT32, and still the display read the infamous "Unsupported" I tried a few more times, using different kind of allocation blocks, but still nothing worked.

And then I noticed that the "Quick Format" checkbox was checked.

I unchecked the checkbox, and reformatted both storages. I loaded the music onto them, and inserted them to the car.

Loaded!!!!

Thought I'd share my experience for whoever is having trouble as well
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bubolrdx
I had this problem, I tried using my old USB stick and using a micro SD card with a USB reader, neither worked. The USB stick was originally formatted in Mac, and the SD card as NTSF. I read through the forum and realized that I needed to use FAT32.

I formated the devices as FAT32, and still the display read the infamous "Unsupported" I tried a few more times, using different kind of allocation blocks, but still nothing worked.

And then I noticed that the "Quick Format" checkbox was checked.

I unchecked the checkbox, and reformatted both storages. I loaded the music onto them, and inserted them to the car.

Loaded!!!!

Thought I'd share my experience for whoever is having trouble as well
Thx bubolrdx! I've read so many concerns/complaints regarding this topic. Can't wait to try it once I buy my rdx in the coming weeks. Have you been able to save the songs from your thumb drive unto your built in hard drive?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
8th Gear

Hi Ambessa,
Due to copyright laws, we can't copy mp3 on to the HDD. The HDD is only for ripping music off of CDs/DVD-As from the disc player! You will need to leave the usb plugged in
Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Thank you for posting this... I have a 128gb USB stick and a 64gb sd card - none of these worked in my 2016 mdx USB. I tried with both NTFS and exFAT. Seeing your post, I am going to do a full format using FAT32 from command prompt and give it a try.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
6th Gear

Worked

Regarding my above post... I got both the 128gb usb stick and 64gb sd card working in my MDX by quick formatting (didnt have to full format) them in FAT32 format using HP USB Disk format utility.
The following users liked this post:
ses717 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jawadshaik
Regarding my above post... I got both the 128gb usb stick and 64gb sd card working in my MDX by quick formatting (didnt have to full format) them in FAT32 format using HP USB Disk format utility.
Yes, only the HP USB Disk Format utility worked for me. Quick google search I was able to find and download it and use it. Very frustrating but solution worked for my 2010 TL with Nav system.

Thanks jaw!

Steve S.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Instructor

I switched from an 8GB USB stick to a 16GB because I was running out of space and guess what? I now get the "unsupported" message.
I reformatted the 16GB stick with 32kb allocation and that seems to work fine.
Looks like Acuras are finicky with the format type...

Last edited by Sylvain; 12-13-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:29 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Does it matter if the USB has a lock? I had this issue in my TL and now I have to use my iPod which is fine but I'd rather leave the USB in the car. I'll check the formatting. I got a bunch of flash drives from Acura from a buddy and they work flawlessly in the wife's RDX. No lock on them though. Just wish they had more memory. Can't complain, they were free.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bubolrdx
Hi Ambessa,
Due to copyright laws, we can't copy mp3 on to the HDD. The HDD is only for ripping music off of CDs/DVD-As from the disc player! You will need to leave the usb plugged in
I don't know who keeps putting this information out, but I don't believe it to be true. If it is true there are some manufacturers who are in a lot of trouble. My neighbor's Chrysler product (now 2 years old) allows for transfer from USB or mp3 to the harddrive. I believe some of GM products do, too. I think the problem is that acura is behind the curve in technology on this and has been for a long time.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think the problem we have with some USB sticks is the Acura systems doesn't have an OS (operating systems) to read/interpret any extra "bits/bytes" if you format anything other than FAT32. Anything above a FAT32 (exFAT, NTFS, NTFS5) has extra "bits" along with the regular data/music used for security and file management for the OS. FAT32 is just data/music only with no security "bits". Since our entertainment system doesn't have an OS, it just get confused with the extra data "bits" (unsupported message). Some of the fancy USB drives might have built-in security and a FAT32 format doesn't work no matter how many times you try.

I use the Silicon Power Touch 830 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Amazon, $43. I've had it for almost 2 years, extremely small size, and I leave it plugged in my MDX 24/7. I just copy/paste my entire iTunes music library from my computer onto this drive and it worked just like that. I later organized with playlist and grouping artist/songs together because all folders were sorted by date instead of by name by the Acura system.

LINK:
Amazon.com: Silicon Power Touch 830 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Silver (SP064GBUF2830V1S): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Silicon Power Touch 830 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Silver (SP064GBUF2830V1S): Computers & Accessories
Old 12-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had this issue in my 2014 RDX, as well as my 2014 Mazda 3.

In both cases I found that yes, it must be formatted in FAT32, and I had to download a utility program to format the larger USB stick. There are other ones out there other than the HP utility.

I have all my MP3's in separate album folders on my PC. Just dragging the folders to the USB drive works, but it makes the search function take a lot longer. After just placing all the files in one root folder makes searching much faster. This was true for both of my vehicles. Takes a lot longer to set up, but once done, it makes it much faster in the vehicle, as it doesn't have to scan folder after folder to pull all the tag information.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2014RDX
...I have all my MP3's in separate album folders on my PC. Just dragging the folders to the USB drive works, but it makes the search function take a lot longer. After just placing all the files in one root folder makes searching much faster. This was true for both of my vehicles. Takes a lot longer to set up, but once done, it makes it much faster in the vehicle, as it doesn't have to scan folder after folder to pull all the tag information.
Interesting. Does that mean that albums/artists are no longer together though? (which is why I found the folders convenient)
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you search through by folder, keep the folder system. If you search through by artist or album, it's faster keeping them all in the root folder. Since there is really no permanent memory for the root files, the vehicle has to load the information every time you start the car.

I have so many files on there (close to 60GB) that it takes forever to scan through by folder to find what I want, that's why I reverted to searching by artist or album.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2014RDX
If you search through by folder, keep the folder system. If you search through by artist or album, it's faster keeping them all in the root folder. Since there is really no permanent memory for the root files, the vehicle has to load the information every time you start the car. (...)
On my RDX, I see only search by folder (while on a USB key). Please tell me how I can search by album or artist...
Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked up my 2016 RDX AWD Advance, and I connect my phone to the car via Bluetooth, however, I am unable to navigate the phone's folder structure. I can only advance to the next song, or go back to a previous song. Is this normal behavior?

My phone is a Motorola Droid Turbo.

Also, I plugged it in via the USB connector, but got the Unsupported error message. Is this a problem with plugging in phones into the car's USB port?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Masta120
Just picked up my 2016 RDX AWD Advance, and I connect my phone to the car via Bluetooth, however, I am unable to navigate the phone's folder structure. I can only advance to the next song, or go back to a previous song. Is this normal behavior?

My phone is a Motorola Droid Turbo.

Also, I plugged it in via the USB connector, but got the Unsupported error message. Is this a problem with plugging in phones into the car's USB port?
The Acura system only reads FAT32 file format when plugged into the USB connection. The Motorola Droid must have a different file format and the Acura system isn't smart enough to know how to read it. You might be stuck using bluetooth streaming or copy/paste music files to an USB stick in FAT32 format.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by snorf
I don't know who keeps putting this information out, but I don't believe it to be true. If it is true there are some manufacturers who are in a lot of trouble. My neighbor's Chrysler product (now 2 years old) allows for transfer from USB or mp3 to the harddrive. I believe some of GM products do, too. I think the problem is that acura is behind the curve in technology on this and has been for a long time.
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but there is some truth about this... I believe the systems are manufactured by Pioneer... it was the same thing with the Pioneer aftermarket units; you can't copy from MP3 to the internal HDD. Of course this is not by law, but Pioneer chose to do so.

There's not much behind the technology, it is just a matter of copying files...
Ripping CD to the HDD is actually harder to achieve than copying files from USB to HDD as it requires encoding lol
​​​​​​
Back to the subject, what is the USB format specified by the owner manual?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

MDX - USB Unsupported

Thanks to the Acuraziner that posted re-formatting the thumb drive. My thumb drive had the FAT32 format already, however, I re-ran the FAT32 format with un-checking the quick format and holy music melodies are back on my MDX.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried a bit of trial and error to get mp3 files to work.
I found:
Quick format to FAT32 worked.
FAT32 format file size is limited to 3.8 GB per folder.
Make as many folders as you like, under 3.8 GB worth of content and label them accordingly to genre or whatever.
Content has to be mp3 format only.
I use a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive (a really short usb stick that's impossible to break off with my big hands in the tray)
I don't know if a USB 3.0 will work, it should, but why? The 2.0 works and is less expensive.
I have a LOT of music on the flash drive...... more than 5 hours worth, and lots of room for more on it.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if anyone has experienced this...but I have a USB drive plugged in to the RDX and for the most part it works great.

I disconnected it from the car to add more songs to it (new folders, etc.), and plugged it in again. But, for some reason the car doesn't see the newly added folders or files. I tried to do a SCAN again (both by folder and by track), but still no difference.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to get the car to pick up changes on the USB drive?
Old 09-28-2019, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear

unsupported 2015 ACURA MDX

Similar issue ... trying to connect my ANDROID phone in the USB port. I get "unsupported" ... I have no issues when placing a flash drive with music. But I'm trying to connect my phone to Use Android Auto.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kajun58
Similar issue ... trying to connect my ANDROID phone in the USB port. I get "unsupported" ... I have no issues when placing a flash drive with music. But I'm trying to connect my phone to Use Android Auto.
The RDX does not support Android Auto.