Google Maps Audio Issue in 2017 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google Maps Audio Issue in 2017 RDX

I have a 2017 RDX AWD base model and use Google Maps on my iPhone 5 or iPad Air for navigation. Everything works great until I try to charge my iPhone or iPad while using Google Maps. As soon as Implug the power cord into the RDX's USB port, I lose the audio portion of Google Maps. When I unplug the power cord from the iPhone or iPad, the audio comes back. I find this very frustrating because I rely on the audio (turn right onto Grape street) while driving. Google maps drains the battery so if I'm driving for more than about 2 hours, I need to charge my device.

has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks much!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Turn on audio and switch to iPod. Or use a plugged-in USB charger, not the built-in USB port.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

CrimsonElan, can you be more specific? Not sure what you mean by "turn on audio and switch to iPod " nor am Imsure what a "plugged-in UBS charger" is. Guess it's apparent that I'm not very tech savy! Appreciate your help!
Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
What happens is... when you are connected to google maps via bluetooth and then plug it in, the bluetooth connection is no longer valid. you need to change the source of the audio from bluetooth to ipod connection to resume sound.

instead of plugging into the usb port on the car for charging purposes, if this becomes really annoying - simply buy one of those external phone chargers that you can just plug into the phone rather than use the vehicle usb port.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

I tried searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. I have a 2017 RDX base model. When my phone (iphone 6s) is connected via bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio directions don't work when using the maps app. When I disconnect bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio works.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the directions coming through the car speakers, that's not what I'm trying for...it doesn't come through the phone. The phone is not plugged in to any of the charging ports. Is there a setting I'm missing or does having the bluetooth enabled and connected disable the audio turn-by-turn directions from the phone?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Funeman_5
I tried searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. I have a 2017 RDX base model. When my phone (iphone 6s) is connected via bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio directions don't work when using the maps app. When I disconnect bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio works.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the directions coming through the car speakers, that's not what I'm trying for...it doesn't come through the phone. The phone is not plugged in to any of the charging ports. Is there a setting I'm missing or does having the bluetooth enabled and connected disable the audio turn-by-turn directions from the phone?
Your phone is apparently paired to the vehicle? If so, the reason the audio disappears from the phone is that it's trying to put the audio through the vehicle instead. Turn the Bluetooth off and it should work.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Funeman_5
. When my phone (iphone 6s) is connected via bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio directions don't work when using the maps app. When I disconnect bluetooth, the turn-by-turn audio works.

I understand what you are looking for. In the case of using the phone for navigation,It would be nice to get the voice prompts from the phone's speaker while listening to FM radio on the car stereo, but that is not the way it is designed.

Once the phone's Bluetooth is connected to a device, whether it is you car stereo, or a Bluetooth headset, all audio from the phone is directed to the device.

The reason is fairly obvious, for example if you were talking on a Bluetooth headset, you wouldn't want everyone else to overhear your conversation over the phones speaker. Or if you connected your phone to some good quality Bluetooth speakers to play music at a party, the sound quality would be terrible if it also continued playing from the phone's speaker.

You can prove this is happening simply by switching the RDX sound source to Bluetooth and you will hear the voice navigation prompts that are still coming from your phone.

You could also start playing music on your phone (mp3 or YouTube) and when you start the RDX and allow the Bluetooth to connect, your phone speaker will go silent. This will happen no matter what source you have selected on the RDX.

BTW, this happens to all phones, including Android and not just Iphones.