Can't FF or REW CDs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't FF or REW CDs??

I still have a large CD collection that I enjoy. It seems that my 2016 RDX Advance (with NAV) does NOT have a function that allows FF or REW within an individual track. I can only skip tracks or restart from the beginning. On the contrary, the RDX without NAV DOES have FF/REW capability. I checked the user manual and it appears to be the case. This makes no sense to me. Am I missing something??
Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 2013 RDX Tech. According to my manual, if you press and HOLD the Skip button, you can fast forward or fast reverse through a Disc. I don't know whether this applies to the 2016, since it have fewer buttons (replaced by a second screen). You might look for the Skip button (I don't know if it's a real button or a "screen" button), but that might work for you.

Gregg
Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vbgregg
I have a 2013 RDX Tech. According to my manual, if you press and HOLD the Skip button, you can fast forward or fast reverse through a Disc. I don't know whether this applies to the 2016, since it have fewer buttons (replaced by a second screen). You might look for the Skip button (I don't know if it's a real button or a "screen" button), but that might work for you.

Gregg
Good suggestion, I tried it... No luck - it just skips to the next track.

Wow, pretty lame if truly less functionality with higher end trim.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
that's a negative... on the screen below the navi screen, you need to put your finger and keep it on the FF or RW symbol. I tried it and it works fine in my 2017 elite.

now mind you, i'm using USB thumb drive for my MP3s...I have not tried the above on CDs.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acura604
that's a negative... on the screen below the navi screen, you need to put your finger and keep it on the FF or RW symbol. I tried it and it works fine in my 2017 elite.

now mind you, i'm using USB thumb drive for my MP3s...I have not tried the above on CDs.
Thanks for the info… good to know that the functionality in your case seems to be intact when using a USB interface. But with CDs, I've tried standing on my head while pushing AND holding the FF/REW button and nothing happens other than restarting said track or skipping forward to the next.

Another CD player annoyance – if I'm driving along and power off the audio system for a moment, turning it back on automatically restarts (from the beginning!!) the song that was in play at the time. So there is no "pause" button functionality with CDs on my Advance, and turning the system off temporarily doesn't function as a pause, but instead a "restart".

Pretty damn lame...
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
What, you can't FF or RW CDs???

If you turn off the sound system itself while playing a track on a CD, it restarts from the beginning of the track? Really, that's horrible...

You have a 6 disc CD changer, right?

I also don't know why Honda/Acura removed the volume knob, it's so silly!!!

Let me say Thank You for still using CDs, I have always had my CD changer loaded since I got my RDX (2007) in late February, it's an essential for me, and steering wheel audio controls are a MUST, in my opinion...

I do wish you luck in unraveling this one!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
What, you can't FF or RW CDs???

If you turn off the sound system itself while playing a track on a CD, it restarts from the beginning of the track? Really, that's horrible...

You have a 6 disc CD changer, right?

I also don't know why Honda/Acura removed the volume knob, it's so silly!!!

Let me say Thank You for still using CDs, I have always had my CD changer loaded since I got my RDX (2007) in late February, it's an essential for me, and steering wheel audio controls are a MUST, in my opinion...

I do wish you luck in unraveling this one!!!
My 2016 has a single slot CD player.

There IS a physical volume knob.

Love my CD collection and I'll continue to enjoy it because the ELS system really does shine with that medium.

I'm just frustrated with how primitive the touch screen is when it comes to CDs.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by zeusallmighty
My 2016 has a single slot CD player.

There IS a physical volume knob.

Love my CD collection and I'll continue to enjoy it because the ELS system really does shine with that medium.

I'm just frustrated with how primitive the touch screen is when it comes to CDs.
Single slot, one disc????

Ok, atleast they didn't do what they did to the Accord, no volume knob, it it now integrated into the touch screen....

So the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 preset buttons don't double as FF and RW?

In my 2007 Kia, the #1 was also used to FF, and #2 was used to RW, or something like that...

I hate how primitive the functionality is these days, very regressive...
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

I'm going to try this today while I copy some stuff over to the HDD.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Works fine in my 2017

https://youtu.be/03UFKu7oQ1Q
The following users liked this post:
zeusallmighty (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acura604
Works fine in my 2017

https://youtu.be/03UFKu7oQ1Q
Thanks for this... I went back and fooled around with the system for a bit again this evening. I think I figured out what has been happening...

After checking over the Audio settings, I realized that when I insert a CD, my system is currently set to automatically record it onto the the built-in HDD. That takes some time, depending on the number of tracks and the desired quality of recording. During this time, the FF/REW functions within a song are disabled. This is shown symbolically by the three small function tiles (Scan, Random, Repeat) being "grayed out" and inactive to touch. Once the CD has copied its content onto the HDD, those tiles light up, and I'm able to use the FF/REW function within any given track (!!).

So maybe I was just jumping the gun and trying to FF/REW within a song prior to the completion of CD -> HDD transfer. To test this out, I could change the HDD copy function to "Manual" (instead of "Auto"), which should prevent any delay in functionality. I haven't tried that yet...

Anyway, thanks to all for their thoughts in helping me clear this up. Looks like my system works just fine; I just wasn't understanding the background processes that were temporarily preventing me from using some of the functions. Please chime in if I've got this all wrong