Can Remote Start FOB affect bluetooth connection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Can Remote Start FOB affect bluetooth connection?

Is it at all possible that having the Acura Remote Start FOB in the car can affect Bluetooth connecting and disconnecting on a 2013 RDX Hands Free Link and iPhone SE with iOs 10.2.1 ? I know it's a stretch, but I have tried all the "fixes" I've read about to no avail. This phone connects and stays connected with my wife's 2015 TLX. Any thoughts? Could a certain iPhone app be causing this? Thank you.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The remote start FOB should not be transmitting anything unless the button is being pushed. If you have any concerns that this may be the cause, then why not just leave the FOB in the house and go for a test drive. You could also bring your FOB for a test drive in the 2015 TLX and confirm that it has no effect.

Have you tried any other phone in your 2013 RDX? Do all phones exhibit the same problem.

A Google search shows than many SE owners have had problems with Bluetooth. Many found the problem resolved after performing a hardware reset on their phones. Of course you will have to perform your own customization afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
TheFidge (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up problem solved

I think I have solved the Bluetooth issue! Most of what I've read said to delete the phone from the Hands Free Link (Acura), delete the Bluetooth connection from the phone, reboot the phone, restart the car, add the phone, etc.etc.etc. I don't think I've read anywhere to choose the "System Clear" option on the Acura menu? I tried that this AM, then added phone, paired, added voice tags, and the phone now seems to stay connected. In all honesty, I never really saw the 'System Clear' option on the menu. It is the last one on the bottom if you scroll through.

P.S. It was NOT my Remote start FOB.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
The remote start FOB should not be transmitting anything unless the button is being pushed. If you have any concerns that this may be the cause, then why not just leave the FOB in the house and go for a test drive. You could also bring your FOB for a test drive in the 2015 TLX and confirm that it has no effect.

Have you tried any other phone in your 2013 RDX? Do all phones exhibit the same problem.

A Google search shows than many SE owners have had problems with Bluetooth. Many found the problem resolved after performing a hardware reset on their phones. Of course you will have to perform your own customization afterwards.
Hi: I actually did try my wife's phone (same phone, iPhone SE with same iOs as mine) in the RDX and it DID stay connected. I also tried my phone in her 2015 TLX and it DID stay connected. That's what made it more odd. I think doing the "System Clear" in the RDX this morning did the trick though. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Since the phone worked in your Wife's car, it would appear the phone has no problem, and since her phone also worked in your RDX it looks like the problem is just in the communications between your phone and the RDX.

You have now reset one side of the communications link and hopefully that will resolve your problem. I have seen this solution solve the problem for others in the past. If it doesn't solve the problem I don't think you will have any choice but to reset the other half of the link (i.e. your phone).

Let us know if the problem is permanently resolved after you have a few days to test it.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

update on bluetooth issue

Well, it seems that when spending a longer time in the car, the 'system clear' did not fix the problem after all. Both my iPhone SE with iOs 10.2.1 AND my wife's same iPhone with the same iOs keep disconnecting and connecting. My wife reminded me that when I first got my iPhone SE with iOs 9 , it worked fine and always stayed connected. I dug out my iPhone 5C, which still has iOs 9.3.2 and swapped SIM cards, and went driving all over the place and the Bluetooth works just fine and did not disconnect at all. So, I guess the 2013 RDX HFL does not like Apple iOs 10. I wonder if a newer version of iOs 10 in the future will change this? In the meantime, does anyone know if you can "downgrade" iOs 10.2.1 back to 9.3.2 on an iPhone SE? From what I'm reading, it's a no-can-do, but I would be happy to hear otherwise from a knowledgeable source. Thank you
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, 10.2.1 resulted in my BMW that the lease just ended on to randomly disconnect during calls, and would randomly refuse to stream audio -- I didn't have either issue with iOS 10.1. Not sure if it is exactly your situation, but your not the only one out there having some BT issues with 10.2.1.

Unfortunately, you can't downgrade -- Apple's servers don't allow downgrades of the iOS once you've upgraded. But 10.3 is probably coming soon -- it's in Beta 4, so that might fix the issues.

I'm new here (CPO 2014 RDX Tech), so I don't know Acura's policy on TSBs and warranty since you have a 2013 you may be past your warranty date-- there is a TSB posted here for HFL static issues (15-051). Have you had that update? While static isn't the issue here, there might be other fixes from whatever firmware you have, and it looks like they'll install the latest HFL firmware when making that update (that's 2.02 at a minimum per the TSB as of Feb 2016).
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

OK- Thank you :-) I will post back if anything favorable develops