Transmission Class Action Settlement Website - Transmission Letter

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the used vehicle ads, the value of the 2G TL/ CLs are much lower than the same model Infinity or Lexus. Huge disparity between an 03 model and an 04. Even Consumer's Mag gave the tranny issues on 00-03 all black dots! Never seen those on late model Hondas before.

Haven't really any problems (yet) but going into my 4th year and thinking the glass tranny can go at anytime doesn't help.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had two replaced in my CL S and well they changed the ECU so it would not shift as agressively as it did with the original tranny. If you go to any mechanic worth their spit, they all say acura has tranny issues. All 5AT trannies have an issue and even they say to stay away from the brand for that reason. You know what they say once bitten twice shy.

I have an 05 now and while it seems to run ok I do not trust it to be one of those 150,000 mile cars. Price point does not always equal to great reliability...
Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Yeah, the value of 2G are much lower than infiniti and lexus. But I thought another reason for that is because the 2G, obviously, is an older generation. So obviously people could recognize it as an older car and so the price should be less? Anyway, I have seen the price for the G35 quite low either, but I have no idea why since it is this way as they have no accident or super high mileage.

Anyways, I havent encountered any tranny problem so far even though my car already has close to 120,000km on it (touchwood). In fact, it has been one of the most reliable cars I have driven so far besides the other Camry our family has. However, due to its age (4 years older than the TL), its engine becomes more apparent now and squeaks and squats are audible most of the time. So anyways, I hope that my TL can be problem-free for the rest of its life!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by oulaw29
I think the REAL reason for the all the tranny failures on the TL is the fact that like me, the majority of TL owners love to have a luxury car they can romp on all day long. There is a reason my pops toyota camry has 260,000 miles on it with no major work done, and my TL tranny is not going to last, its because I haul ass every chance I get!!!!! 109K miles is a good deal on free replacement. If your car has more than that, and you can't help rompin on it, I would sell asap and just get new tl. my 2cents.
No, I don't think that's it. I romp on all my cars the same, but the only one that needed a new tranny was the TL.

Personally, I think the tranny in the TL is undersized. Look at my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for example. If you look under the car, the tranny is much bigger than the TL's tranny. The GTP's tranny as a capacity of something like 13 quarts of fluid. When you drain the tranny, it will drain a little more than 8 quarts. You don't have to do the stupid drain/fill/drain/fill when servicing the tranny. It even uses plain ol' Dexron-III to boot. The GTP's tranny also has a replaceable filter element. I don't remember the TL tranny having a filter of any kind. Just magnet on the end of the bolt. The GTP's tranny has a much bigger magnet that is about the size of a credit-card affixed in the pan.

I currently have about 140,000 miles on the GTP, and I never had any shavings or anything on the magnet ,and the tranny is still running fine. Just needed a new pressure regulator at 130,000 miles. My tL on the other started smoking itself at 32k miles, and finally destroyed it's tranny at 60,000 miles.

I romp on the GTP a hell of a lot more than I did the TL, and the GTP makes 280 pound ft of torque. I remember when Motor Trend supercharged an Accord V6, and dynoed it to still have less torque, and they destroyed the TC in the tranny, saying that wasn't designed to handle that kind of power. I think this is where Acura's problem is. For all we know, they could've take a tranny that was mated to a 4 banger, and massaged it, changed a few parts, etc, and used it in their V6 applications in the Accord, TL, etc.

Meanwhile, you'll find the GM tranny design bolted to an LS2 corvette engine. Likewise even Infiniti pulled the automatic tranny from the V8 powered Q45, and dropped it into the V6 powered G35.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
www.grounded4life.org

do we have to wait till after dec. 28 for this extended warrenty to go into effect or can we go to acura now n have them fix or transmissions cause my warrenty was up as of 4/30 n my trans is going
Old 11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I bought my TLs CPO with 5K miles on it back in June 2003 and I got my original tranny replaced at 45K miles. I have the 7yr/100K warranty and they supposedly put in the newer designed tranny with smoother gear components, wider tranny fluid channels and a new control module under warranty.

It's shifts perfectly and no signs of trouble and it shifts way better than my original tranny. I would say I went from 20% confidence to about 90% now with driving on my tranny for a while now.

I put my VIN in and it said I am not covered, even though I had a failure? Weird. I agree with the folks that say at least Honda/Acura is doing something for folks whereas other companies would say...tough shit...deal with it. It is surprising that a quality company like H/A would ever design a tranny like this without extensive testing? If the TL ever becomes real wheel drive, I'll buy a new one. Next ride will be Lexus or Infiniti for sure.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
yay! for SRS xtension

CANADIAN CARS...are they covered under this?...i doubt it...
ALSO, I dont believe the break downs are caused by "romping" on it. In SS mode going from 2>3 i can eliminate the jerk by shifting just under 3000rpm. My worst shifts are 3>4 and 3>2 they are unstoppable, but 4>3 and 2>3 I can control well. it MUST be due to the condition the tranny is in while driving. maybe the trannies in theory work but when the flow of coolant slows the gears just cant take the heat. i want to aid the tranny but not much can be done apparently except for a tranny cooler which some have agreed will do nothing. I bet its more than 1 in 6....
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Ljushock
I agree with you if you dont have a cl or tl why are you poking around with us
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

My tranny just went out Mon got loaner pick up car Wed. found Trans is a rebuilt changed ecu shifts sloppy have 65000 miles on it bought 2000 july -24 and now I dont want it because of fear breaking down some were bad area, I never owned a car so long in my life it was the best till now
I think they should let us trade these cars in with higher value, give us list price on ours and discount the new ( tl S)
Old 12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johntypes
My tranny just went out Mon got loaner pick up car Wed. found Trans is a rebuilt changed ecu shifts sloppy have 65000 miles on it bought 2000 july -24 and now I dont want it because of fear breaking down some were bad area, I never owned a car so long in my life it was the best till now
I think they should let us trade these cars in with higher value, give us list price on ours and discount the new ( tl S)
i think they should let us trade in at RETAIL value. that would sound like a much better settlement than this 9 months bullshit
Old 12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
4th Gear

How about the Acura owner in Canada?

Hey how about us live north of the border..Canada? Does it cover the Acura here, I wonder? I checked the VIN on my 03 Acura 3.2 TL Type S on second transmission, it does not cover.

Shoulod I call Honda Canada to ask for that? It is pure discrimination against Canadian.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:59 PM
8th Gear

My tranny just went out last week at 103K and I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer on a goodwill replacement. They made it sound promising but who knows since this class action is going on...they might just have me pay and get reimbursed if the settlement goes through. I'm hoping for the goodwill replacement...find out tomorrow!

You guys tell me.......if they do the goodwill replacement should I push for a loaner car????? I have access to another car but I won't mind checking out what they have since it has been an inconvenience for me!? Thoughts?

Billy
2001 TL w/ 103,040 miles
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 AM
SOLD

If they were to give you a goodwill replacement, don't worry about a loaner especially if you have another car. Just be glad if in the end you do not have any out of pocket costs
Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NightRider
If they were to give you a goodwill replacement, don't worry about a loaner especially if you have another car. Just be glad if in the end you do not have any out of pocket costs

I'm thinking the same thing!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
8th Gear

[QUOTE=BillyKidd]My tranny just went out last week at 103K and I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer on a goodwill replacement. They made it sound promising but who knows since this class action is going on...they might just have me pay and get reimbursed if the settlement goes through. I'm hoping for the goodwill replacement...find out tomorrow!

Just got word back and thumbs up !!!! They're going to cover the tranny and get it back up and working!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
4th Gear

Question

So new poster here....went on here to find some news about the tranny stuff because mine just started slipping like a week ago and now I think it's pretty well F'd. And I just turned over 100K miles, so I was worried I wouldn't be covered, but that settlement goes to 109K now, right?

I just had the transmission fluid flushed about 1-2 months ago, prior to that I had NO transmission issues, and now it starts slipping/dropping gears. I'm thinking I shouldnt have changed the fluid, but it was pretty ugly looking. Will Acura give me $hit because I didn't have the fluid flushed by the dealership?

And BTW, I'll be the first to admit I run it hard once in a while
Old 12-15-2006, 12:30 AM
8th Gear

~

Originally Posted by Flossin
I just had the transmission fluid flushed about 1-2 months ago, prior to that I had NO transmission issues, and now it starts slipping/dropping gears. I'm thinking I shouldnt have changed the fluid, but it was pretty ugly looking. Will Acura give me $hit because I didn't have the fluid flushed by the dealership?

And BTW, I'll be the first to admit I run it hard once in a while

Flossin,
I bought my car about 9 months ago and I didn't have any service records and the dealer was still cool about taking care of it for free. I started out by calling customer service at Honda Corporate and opened a case file. I made sure I wasn't a big jerk about it and just said I hoped they would replace it for free as a goodwill gester for a loyal Honda/Acura customer. Then I called the dealer and took my car in to have them verify it was the tranny. The dealer told me it's better if the customer calls Honda Corp. to open the case....usually pulls more weight then the dealer calling and trying to pass it through as free. My

Good Luck!

I'm with ya!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BillyKidd
Flossin,
I bought my car about 9 months ago and I didn't have any service records and the dealer was still cool about taking care of it for free. I started out by calling customer service at Honda Corporate and opened a case file. I made sure I wasn't a big jerk about it and just said I hoped they would replace it for free as a goodwill gester for a loyal Honda/Acura customer. Then I called the dealer and took my car in to have them verify it was the tranny. The dealer told me it's better if the customer calls Honda Corp. to open the case....usually pulls more weight then the dealer calling and trying to pass it through as free. My

Good Luck!

I'm with ya!!!!

What number did you call? I called their 800 number (1-800-382-2238) and was told that they had no information on the settlement and referred me back to the lawyers handling the case. I already have all that information, but I need to know if they're going to replace/repair my tranny or do I have to wait until this settlement is finalized? How do I "open the case" with Honda?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 AM
8th Gear

What number did you call? I called their 800 number (1-800-382-2238) and was told that they had no information on the settlement and referred me back to the lawyers handling the case. I already have all that information, but I need to know if they're going to replace/repair my tranny or do I have to wait until this settlement is finalized? How do I "open the case" with Honda?

I called the same number and told them my transmission just failed and I was approximatly 3k over the 100k warranty. I asked them if there was some type of goodwill jester they could offer since it was so close to warranty. That's when they said they'd open a case and start documenting everything. I didn't say a word about the settlement since the court date isn't until the 28th of December. The big question they asked me was "Why do you think Acura/Honda should fix your tranny for free?" I kept my cool and told them they make a quality car and was just hoping they would stand behind their quality. They'll ask you to take the car to the dealer and have it checked out to make sure it's the tranny. When I took it to the dealer, I told them I opened a case with corporate and they (the dealer) said it usually helps if the car owner opens a case....makes it easier for them to work with corp.

Hope that helps!

The car is running very smooth!

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BillyKidd
I called the same number and told them my transmission just failed and I was approximatly 3k over the 100k warranty. I asked them if there was some type of goodwill jester they could offer since it was so close to warranty. That's when they said they'd open a case and start documenting everything. I didn't say a word about the settlement since the court date isn't until the 28th of December. The big question they asked me was "Why do you think Acura/Honda should fix your tranny for free?" I kept my cool and told them they make a quality car and was just hoping they would stand behind their quality. They'll ask you to take the car to the dealer and have it checked out to make sure it's the tranny. When I took it to the dealer, I told them I opened a case with corporate and they (the dealer) said it usually helps if the car owner opens a case....makes it easier for them to work with corp.

Hope that helps!

The car is running very smooth!

Good luck!

Maybe we should just start our own thread between us

So I called again and talked to someone else who was a lot more helpful than the other person I talked to on Monday. Basically, since I had already brought my car back to the dealership for the recall notice (when they allegedly fixed the issue they were having with the 2nd-3rd gear shift) and I'm over 100K miles, they said they wont be able to help me out and I have to pay for a new transmission myself. Kind of the answer I was expecting, but I hope that settlement is finalized and they'll extend the warranty out to 109K and I'll be coverered (I hope). They didn't have any information on the settlement, and referred me back to the lawyers again.

So I think that our cases are different because I had already brought it back to the dealership and had something fixed they were having problems with and now the problems im having with the transmission are (supposedly) nothing to do with the engineering and/or mechanical problems that initiated this lawsuit to begin with. I guess I either have to wait for the settlement to be finalized, or bring it in to the dealership and cross my fingers, which I don't want to do. 9 days is a long time to wait.....
Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Got DEP???

So I called again and talked to someone else who was a lot more helpful than the other person I talked to on Monday. Basically, since I had already brought my car back to the dealership for the recall notice (when they allegedly fixed the issue they were having with the 2nd-3rd gear shift) and I'm over 100K miles, they said they wont be able to help me out and I have to pay for a new transmission myself. Kind of the answer I was expecting, but I hope that settlement is finalized and they'll extend the warranty out to 109K and I'll be coverered (I hope). They didn't have any information on the settlement, and referred me back to the lawyers again.

So I think that our cases are different because I had already brought it back to the dealership and had something fixed they were having problems with and now the problems im having with the transmission are (supposedly) nothing to do with the engineering and/or mechanical problems that initiated this lawsuit to begin with. I guess I either have to wait for the settlement to be finalized, or bring it in to the dealership and cross my fingers, which I don't want to do. 9 days is a long time to wait.....
First... That was :theghey:

Second, what is the issue that you are having?
I am on my third transmission in my car. Acura covered all replacements. They know they have a bad product here and that is why they extended the warranty.
My last tranny was replaced at 98,850 miles.
You said that you just went past 100,000 miles. You can easily have it replaced when you bring in the margin of error given to these odometers. Do a search and find out what the exact number is. I can't remember, but for some reason I think it was over .03 percent (don't quote me, I'm not sure). Of course, you can only argue that if you were just over (within 3k) miles of the 100k mark.
You should definitely persue this with Acura. You could get them to do a goodwill replacement. If one dealership tells you No, go to another and try with them.
Here is a post in the "Transmission Recall Q & A" forum:

Originally Posted by Belushi
My '01 CL-S was just over the warranty at 102K miles and Scanlon Acura in Ft Myers, FL authorized a goodwill transmission replacement based on the 2nd gear slippage and often violent, jerky accelerations. Took a couple days and over the weekend and was given an '06 TSX loaner free of charge.

I have only put about 200 miles on since the replacement. I noticed at once much smoother shifts and the ability to cruise at certain RPMs without any jerking. The vehicle still has some hard upshifts and downshifts, but I have been told that is an Acura thing.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:36 AM
8th Gear

I think almost all TL/CL's had the recall on the trasmission for second gear but that shouldn't give them the right not to fix the transmission. My car had the recall done and they still fixed it! Just like Redsly said, they should replace it as a goodwill replacement. I would call your local dealer as well and see what they say about a goodwill replacement!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

yep

Great news. Got a brand new tranny on Thursday, free of charge. Had to drive this POS Dodge Caliber for a few days, but I got my baby back and I hadnt realized how much I missed her. I stuck my penis in the tailpipe and she felt as good as new. holler
Old 01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
C'MON

LOL i should get my back tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 AM
8th Gear

Nice work Flossin! Not sure about the tail pipe thing but it's all good! Looks like we would have been covered any way since the December 28th settlement came back in our favor. Honda/Acura probably knew it was coming so they just repaired them free of charge anyway!? I'll take it!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
10th Gear

Can someone tell me what the results of the settlement were.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by RayshaunHayes
Can someone tell me what the results of the settlement were.
Warranty extended to 7yr 9mo or 109,000 miles. Whoopee!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
yay! for SRS xtension

Does This Affect Canadians!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey

tranny is still holdin up
Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan
I just bought a used 01 cl-s with 60k on the odo and it doesn't slip should i do anything?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 PM
SOLD

^ Yes, drive it and enjoy it, because it will start to slip soon...too soon...

WHOOPEE is right, we just gave up most of our rights and privelages regarding this settlement. I hope the 100k-109k people are happy, because they are the only ones who benefit from this. Hope my tranny goes out again before 109k
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Instructor

So, I got a letter informing me of the settlement and reacall but nothing has been sent to me about it being final. My transmission just went out at 108000 miles.
The settlement letter I got said to contact honda OR acura. Only acura would do my recall and the closest is 3 hours away. Can I take it to Honda? Does Acura pay for towing? All I need to do is call an acura dealership?
I am going to call anyways But I just thought I would ask the board a few questions. I do think its a crappy settlement and if true will get my tranny replaced and sell my car for to much to a spoiled rich kid. I really love this car though not another one in this city.
I feel a 5000 dollar weight being lifted off of my shoulders from thinking I would have to be paying until its settled, but its settled right? Right?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

When do we find out if its approved?

Do you know if we're going to get the 9 yr/ 103k warranty?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 AM
WS4 RSS4

Originally Posted by Dan
what was the original warranty..how much yr's miles does this settlemeant give us more??..does all acura's mentioned in the letter get the extended warranty or do we have to go down to acrua an ask and apply for it.?? im lost a bit..does that mean if you have a 2001 cl you have 5 months of coverage left since its already almost apirl..?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

My soon to be fiance's transmission finally went out on her this past sat.

Here's the situation, we bought the 54K 01 CL here in Chicago and drove it down to Atlanta this past November. Since we've bought it, the car's been a perfect angel until last sat.

Anyhow, she takes the vehicle to an Acura dealer down there and they give her a TSX to drive around until this thursday when the car's supposed to be ready.

Here;s the question, we were told that at 68K miles her car's covered to 100K and that each car has a unique transmission with its own vin # thats assigned to it so it'd have to be shipped from the factory.

Anyone every heard of this? Is that how it works?
Secondly, do they put a new transmission that replaces the old one or just the same ol style tranny hoping and praying it doesn't go out either?

I hope the answer isn't the latter bc if it is...then its time to sell this car. I cannot imagine having to pay thousands of dollars to replace the trans for a factory defect on Acura's part especially if they were supposed to have fixed it in the first place if that makes sense
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

mine was a rebuilt trans. with the same old promblem at xmas time it went out with 66,000 miles they also gave me a TSX, they changed the ecu which I am not happy with ,car is much slower and very mushie when shifting ,good luck
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 AM
SOLD

Acura tried the oil jet thing, thing changing pcm/ecu stuff, still have failures.They are using bandaids to fix war wounds basically. Fatal design flaws. Warranty is up to 109k I believe, almost time to sell my auto...
Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
9th Gear

Hmmmm...

So since my CLS is a 2001 that was probably bought in 2000 (7 years ago). Does that mean my tranny warranty is up? even though my car only has 81k miles on it?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sweetacura21
So since my CLS is a 2001 that was probably bought in 2000 (7 years ago). Does that mean my tranny warranty is up? even though my car only has 81k miles on it?
Better not...I payed for my extended warranty...so I better have it until 109,000 miles.
I will raise so much hell if that is the case.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 AM
9th Gear

FYI

Took my '01 CLS(purchased new in 06/2000) into Dealership on Thursday(10/02), with increasing occasions of tranny shift slip and certain non-engagement issues. I did the prescribed homework before, by running the VIN # and bringing down the maintenance records.

Acura/Honda over-nighted the reman. tranny and under the settlement warranty, replaced the pressure regulator(FP - 16740-PGK-A01RB), ECU(FP - 37820-PGE-315RM), Warranty A/T KI(FP - 06200-PGF-090RM), 5 QTS ATF-Z1. The prescribed work was done and picked up the CLS on Saturday(10/05). Honda/Acura will only issue reman. trannies under the settlement warranty and this warranty covers the "new" tranny up to 109,000 miles.

In the end, the experience cost me just to fill up the tank of the free loaner TL, while the work was done. 0 out-of-pocket cost for the tranny work.

I will say for us, as much as my wife loves the CLS and has been her utmost favorite, we will be trading up to something else sometime next year. The loaner TL we had, didn't hold a candle to our '01 CLS and since we have drove the RL, that vehicle would be the top choice for replacement from Acura to replace the CLS. She does have her eye on other makes also, so we'll see which it will be.

I hope this tranny experience is useful to all...

Quick Reply: Transmission Class Action Settlement Website - Transmission Letter