Transmission Class Action Settlement Website - Transmission Letter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh...my VIN is not covered, yet it was covered under the Acura recall..??. Whatever, I still have 35K miles to go in the 100K warranty.

As others said, 9K miles extra is 9K miles extra you wouldn't have had before.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
C'MON

HUH?:confused:

i just finnish reading all the post. i'm just trying understand what going on? i have an 02 cl-s w/99150 miles on it. so acura/honda is replacing your tranny for free?the (goodwill replace) i think my tranny is going out. every once in while, i'll be going home after work at 45 mph. all the sudden, it felt like i lost rpm. anybody know what's up wit that? thanks !!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my VIN isnt covered either...

is it really THAT hard for acura engineers to come up with something that works? i mean, wouldn't they be loosing LESS money if they didnt have to replace peoples transmissions, sometimes even 2 or 3 times AFTER the first replacement?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Instructor

What are the conditions for VINs to "qualify" for this? Wouldn't it be all TL/CLs that were affected in the initial recall?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weixin
every once in while, i'll be going home after work at 45 mph. all the sudden, it felt like i lost rpm. anybody know what's up wit that? thanks !!

This isn't a sign of the transmision going, the car doesn't know which gear you want to be in and it's downshifting/upshifting when you let off the gas pedal a bit. If you feel an abrupt jerk from the car, that's when you know the tranny may be going.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got the letter in the mail today. I still think it's garbage. The consumer's aren't reaping any benefit from this lawsuit.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 AM
10th Gear

Fingers crossed

Took my 2002 TL-S into dealership (limping) at 102k. I also received the letter explaining the "proposed" settlement. Advisor first offered a new tranny at labor, then at cost of taxes on materials. Accepted that offer. Got a loaner (06 TL) for a week as it would take at least that long for them to get the new tranny.

Loaner has given me the new car fever. I'm sure that was part of their plan. If I can get a steep enough discount on the loaner (4,800 miles on it) I will trade. I think I should get at least $11k on the trade and dealer cost on the new car.

What do you experienced negotiators think about that potential deal? I know I could sell my car for $1k more but with some work. What would be a good deal right now on a 06 TL/Nav with 5k miles? BTW, I'm in the Atlanta GA area.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Am I the only one??

Back when I owned my CL-S, Acura automatically extended my warrany on the tranny to 100,000 miles, after my 50,000 mile warranty was extended. I did not take any action to initiate it. Nor did I purchase any extended warranty.

Good thing too as I had it replaced under warranty at 98,000 miles. Talk about cutting it close.

From what I read here, it sounds like not everyone got this??
Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Everyone who has 109k Miles & over - OPT OUT

There is no recourse for you unless you elect to opt out.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Just got the letter in the mail today. I still think it's garbage. The consumer's aren't reaping any benefit from this lawsuit.

Almost another year of coverage? On a another note-Honda's losing a lot of $ on this..i don't see BMW or Hummer giving extended factory warranties on their far from reliable products. Thats not including the $8000 "free" maintence fee's included with the ultimate mechanic's machine
Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 AM
sabbas

i dunno....i say just drain the tranny fluid b4 the warrenty expires...burn out your tranny and refill with old fluid. just a suggestion...
Old 11-12-2006, 03:09 AM
SOLD

Hey Ladies and Gentleman, time for a sneaky lawyer talk session! The goal of this letter is to create the perception that something is being done large scale to resolve this transmission problem. This is true, but not to the extent it seems. Yes that is a great step extending the tranny warranty to 93 months/9k miles. It gives people the belief that their needs are being addresed. Do not be fooled though, this is H/A giving up an inch and getting a mile in return. This settlement means that they will replace trannies for the said extension, but will not have any liability for transmissions that fail after 109k/93mo. An extension like this is just a drop in the ocean - for the extra trannies H/A DOES replace, think of all the 109k+ trannies they WONT have to replace.

This situation is like at least one Michael Jackson case where him and the boy's family settles out of court for an "undisclosed" amount! Everyone knows he did it, but doesn't want to see him go to prison. So he never admits wrongdoing, doesn't have a blemish on his record, and just pays. Family is happy, Michael is happy. Win/Win right? Wrong, while Michael gives up pocket change, this boy is probably permanently psychologically damaged. Don't let Michael...I mean H/A get away this time. I am willing to bet that if enough people do not give into the pressure to take this, a better deal can be had with more ownership being taken on H/A part. If those lawyers are going to get paid a hefty commission, they better put in work! Of the three groups involved here (customers, lawyers, H/A) we are currently getting the shortest stick. We should be getting the best part of this deal! Accountability, damn it!

On that note, I just recently took my car for a maintenance look/oil change. I have had reoccuring symptoms I believed were related to an o2 sensor and possibly the ecu or the communication between them. I ruled out my VTEC controller through testing. Symptoms experienced included check engine/VSA lights coming on, tranny shifting very jerky, and an early rev limiter at 5500rpm. So I ask them to check these things (TC Performance, featured in tuner mags, quality people). Mechanic took it for a ride, came back and felt I needed a new tranny. Sure enough, I had check engine codes for tranny. I am setting up an appt with Flatirons Acura on Monday. For the record I have 88k and first tranny was replaced at 62k. This is an oppurtune time for the current offered warranty as I will get a replacement tranny, which should help me skate by until I can pick up a 6MT CLS for serious mods. Well, this is my
Old 11-12-2006, 03:47 AM
SOLD

Well then they need to fix the problem instead putting a bandade on it thinking it's going to heal.
Sure, a replacement tranny is "less susceptible" to have issues, I want little to no issues. No car is perfect but, more could be done here by H/A. It seems with all the R&D they put into this issue, they have never completely resolved the root cause! If they want to keep giving replacement trannies that have a 50/50 chance of failing, let them. Maybe after the mechanics are blue in the face from tranny work, and decide to start a mutiny, H/A will realize a permanent resolution is needed. Accepting this settlement only gives H/A reassurance that business can be handled like this in the future. This is a negative for any current/future H/A consumer. Once settlements are said, shits shall not be sued! This extension will be a benefit only to H/A, lawyers involved, and a small minority of owners.

BTW yes I do believe if a specific number is reached with this settlement, H/A will be much more reluctant to replace "goodwill" trannies that are out of warranty. They may even stop completely, being that they would be almost completly legally covered by the settlement.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by HBaJ
For those that say 9 months/9,000 miles is nothing, take it for whats it worth..most other companies just leave u out to dry. If you can mention to me an auto manufacturer that not only extended their powertrain warranty, but then re-extended it for a cars that have been out of production of about 3 years, or has even gone to any extent for this kind of customer care please let me know and that'll be my next purchase..but for now its Honda/Acura all the way.
funny you should say that....becuase no other auto manufacturer is having tne problems with transmissions that Honda/Acura are having.

I have driven a total of 9 cars in my life.

1 GM had trans issues but the guy who rebuilt it did it right and it lasted
2. A '98 accord LX V6 that ate THREE transmissions within 11K
3. My current car a CL type S that will need a new trans shortly

so the american cars that are junk have better transmission IMHO than Honda/Acura does.......
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
funny you should say that....becuase no other auto manufacturer is having tne problems with transmissions that Honda/Acura are having.

so the american cars that are junk have better transmission IMHO than Honda/Acura does.......

Oh i know for a fact that american transmission's are better, handsdown- i think GM and BMW had a partnership on building them I heard last year. What I'm saying however, is that other manufacturers don't go this far out of their way for customer care on faulty products..not JUST transmission but electrical and other problems as well.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Almost another year of coverage? On a another note-Honda's losing a lot of $ on this..i don't see BMW or Hummer giving extended factory warranties on their far from reliable products. Thats not including the $8000 "free" maintence fee's included with the ultimate mechanic's machine
I'm already over 113,xxx...where am I going to benefit?

There are a lot of guys on here with over 109,000 miles...how would they benefit from this?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:55 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

Well I have owned 10 cars in my life and I have transmission problems with 3 of them not including my 2001 type S. Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, BMW 528 and my father had problems with his Jeep Cherokee. So there are other manufacturers that aren't doing anything about there transmission problems because I know for a fact Jeep and Chrysler were having many customers with failed transmissions and they didn't even do what Honda is doing. That being said I have been lucky so far with my Type S with 61,000 miles on it but I know that it could go anytime I wish they would give more than an extra 9months and 9000 miles but I will accept that. For guys over those numbers you have nothing to lose so you should opt out.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM
SOLD

Smart decisions from different points of view...

- If you currently have over 109k miles, you have NOTHING to lose by opting out, except your rights to a replacement after 109k. Actually you have nothing to GAIN by accepting this. I believe they should cover up to 125k. Push them further with the numbers, hold them accountable (refer to my previous posts).

- If you currently have under 100k miles, you are covered under the previous warranty still.

- The only people that should worry are ones within a couple thousand miles of 100k. You have a tough decision to make here. Do you go for this and gain an extra 10k miles, only to have future pivelages nearly forfeited? OR do you opt out, hoping litigation will eventually bring a more favorable deal? (Which is highly likely, since this is the second time a major step has been taken. Also, because of the importance of customer perception to H/A). Keep in mind IF a decision was made by these folks to opt out, and a future resolution (i.e 125k/105mo) settlement was reached, you may be entitled to reimbursement for having to replace a tranny during that time.

As previously stated, I am sure that once something is put in legal documents (like if this settlement was accepted), you will have a MUCH harder time finding "nice guy" delaerships for tranny replacements out of warranty.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
SOLD

One question I wish would be explained - Why does Honda build some of the best production car manual trannies around, and some of the worst production car auto trannies?

BTW- Evethough it seems too many people have tranny problems,in Consumer Reports the worst rating the CL tranny ever received was 15% of users reporting issues. That is still only 1 in 6 people...
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

There are a lot of guys on here with over 109,000 miles...how would they benefit from this?
You werent going to do much benefitting 13k miles ago either haha..goodwill replacements were only sponsored by certain dealers anyways, u might have ran out of luck already
Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

I recently bought a extended warranty and now Acura giving out 9 months/9,000 miles for free!! Can I get my refund?

2001 Acura CLS - 108XXX miles
Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
10th Gear

I just bought a 02 TL over the weekend. I was unaware of the transmission problems. It makes quite a bit of noise when accelerating. I think it may be the transmission. If so, other than contacting my local Acura/Honda dealer about recalls, what else should I do? I checked the Honda settlement site, and my car is under the settlement. I have 84K miles on it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Sucks

I have 142k on mine. Had the tranny replaced at around 109. Havent had any problems with replacement, but since they covered my first transmission, they said there is no Warranty.

Does anyone know if they are putting anytype of warranty on the replacement transmission?

Its a load of crap if they dont offer any type of warranty on the replacement....There are 1000's of posts showing that the replacement is also faulty...

Any Ideas?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Initial D

Originally Posted by NightRider
Smart decisions from different points of view...

- If you currently have over 109k miles, you have NOTHING to lose by opting out, except your rights to a replacement after 109k. Actually you have nothing to GAIN by accepting this. I believe they should cover up to 125k. Push them further with the numbers, hold them accountable (refer to my previous posts).

- If you currently have under 100k miles, you are covered under the previous warranty still.

- The only people that should worry are ones within a couple thousand miles of 100k. You have a tough decision to make here. Do you go for this and gain an extra 10k miles, only to have future pivelages nearly forfeited? OR do you opt out, hoping litigation will eventually bring a more favorable deal? (Which is highly likely, since this is the second time a major step has been taken. Also, because of the importance of customer perception to H/A). Keep in mind IF a decision was made by these folks to opt out, and a future resolution (i.e 125k/105mo) settlement was reached, you may be entitled to reimbursement for having to replace a tranny during that time.

As previously stated, I am sure that once something is put in legal documents (like if this settlement was accepted), you will have a MUCH harder time finding "nice guy" delaerships for tranny replacements out of warranty.
I agree with most you wrote here.
But Acura dealership is solely responsible for selling and servicing Acura cars, dealership is a different division and get paid internally for servicing a transmission under warranty. I am not sure about dealership will get paid for goodwill repair but the goodwill amount allowed is there already, whether certain model has warranty extension or not. It is just service manager's individual decision on whether out-of-warranty repair should get a share of that goodwill $, does not matter how warranty extension is achieved (from Honda or from settlement)

Dealerships care less about the law suit: they got paid handsomely no matter how long the warranty is, goodwill repair $ functions just as before. I don't think they will give owners hassle just because the law suit.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
www.grounded4life.org

is this in effect now cause my tranny is going n my 7yrs is up as of 4/30 so im trying to do what ever i can to get mine fixed
Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

About tranny

Whats up, 1st tiem here, my fisrt post due to purchasing a tl-s 2002 with a little over 100k, not even 101k yet. My question is that my car can be still on warranty until 109k due to law suit going on right now.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

I think the REAL reason for the all the tranny failures on the TL is the fact that like me, the majority of TL owners love to have a luxury car they can romp on all day long. There is a reason my pops toyota camry has 260,000 miles on it with no major work done, and my TL tranny is not going to last, its because I haul ass every chance I get!!!!! 109K miles is a good deal on free replacement. If your car has more than that, and you can't help rompin on it, I would sell asap and just get new tl. my 2cents.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Initial D

Those are over 109K, not only you are not going to gain anything, but you are going to permanently lose the right sue Honda and the possility of a more reasonable settlement if you do not opt out.

Honda benefits big time from this settlement, use a small amount to buy off ALL potential future law suits and getting a huge liability off its balance sheet. Talk about wipe the slate clean on a bad transmission design: no need to pour R&D $ to find a solution, no more worrying about giving out a meaningful extension that leads to bigger expense, no more future bad PR on this tranny due because there won't be any law suit.
Honda , lawyers . Owners
Opt out this ridiculous law suit, these lawyers do not represent me.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
'07 November = STI

so.. my bro has a '99 acura TL with 87K miles on it.. can he get a free tranny at the dealer right now? ... im so lost right now.. i HATE lawyer talk! he doesnt even have an extended warranty.. is it more like a recall?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by oulaw29
I think the REAL reason for the all the tranny failures on the TL is the fact that like me, the majority of TL owners love to have a luxury car they can romp on all day long. There is a reason my pops toyota camry has 260,000 miles on it with no major work done, and my TL tranny is not going to last, its because I haul ass every chance I get!!!!! 109K miles is a good deal on free replacement. If your car has more than that, and you can't help rompin on it, I would sell asap and just get new tl. my 2cents.
what u say is true.. but at the same time.. its not.. haha.. cause Toyota Transmissions dont have problems.. PRERIOD.. its not right to compare honda/acura trannies to Toyotas.. I have 3 Acuras in the Family.. and 2 Toyotas.. my automatic '99 Toyota Tacoma is at 170,000 miles with a perfect transmission .. and we have a automatic '99 TL @ 87,000 miles with a horrible clunking transmission... and a automatic '98 3.0CL with a horrible transmission.. and a automatic '99 2.3CL with a horrible transmission.. (maybe i should move on to manual.. haha)

i dont drive fast.. and neither does my brother.. ALSO! washington weather is pretty cool all year round.. so there really isnt any excuse for trannies to poop out at around 90K..

Honda/Acura Engines are GREAT! but.. the Transmission is SO CRAPPY...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

You should be fine, the earlier replacements were garbage though..
What date qualifies as an "earlier replacement?" How can we tell if our replacement is a "newer one" or one of the "earlier replacements?"
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

im kind of in the same boat as your brother legendary. i have a a 99 tl with 84k and do not have an extended warranty. i just recently bought the car this past Sept. so i'm trying to figure out how does this proposed warranty extension apply to me.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:39 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topper1296
What date qualifies as an "earlier replacement?" How can we tell if our replacement is a "newer one" or one of the "earlier replacements?"
if your transmission was replaced before february of 2005 then you have an older one most likely. no one has reported a failure of the 2/05 revised trannies yet. although it's still early in the game even the other revisions had plenty of failures as they drove off the lot.

SSTS
Old 11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

question about settlement...

i recently purchased an '02 tl with 103,xxx on it...

i am not sure if the original owner bought the extended warranty...

if i go to an acura dealereship am i covered until the 109,000?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 432 Likes on 244 Posts
I read the letter, and the $ expected by the lawyers to me seems a little excessive for what this is. my opinion is that this is one of those "mogan and moran, for the people" type law companies. The abulance chaser type, which I totally hate.

I would really like the 9k miles extra, as i have 81k on mine, but I might opt out just because I don't like these vampires.

As far as others saying GM have great trannies, ya the tranny is great compared with the rest of the car. My grand cherokee needed about $9000 of fixing to make it to 100k miles. Nobody really gets to worry about tranny in those cars, the rest of the car doesn't make it 1/2 as far.

I don't understand why some of you feel cheated by honda that the tranny breaks. ok ya it's a car stuff goes bad, and news flash, your car has 100k miles on it, it's not "new". I think the fact that they pushed the powertrain warranty to 100k miles to me means seems like honda is trying to stand behind their clients.

I do wish that my car will last for many years and miles to come, but if it breaks, I'll deal with it, I won't sue honda for it. How many people do you hear of that sue GM because their lovely H2 broke down after 100k miles!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PhilB81
How many people do you hear of that sue GM because their lovely H2 broke down after 100k miles!
NONE!

They'll get rid of it before it ever hits 100k.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:55 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
What if I live in Canada? When I went to that website, and entered my VIN, it says I am not covered. So does that mean Canadian cars are not covered?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:48 AM
'01 CLS w/NAVI

I put in my VIN and it says I am covered.

I have a 2001 CL-S with 92K (bought Jan 2005 no ext warranty) ....and I'm not sure what I need to do after reading this
Old 11-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Originally Posted by bigkahuna
I put in my VIN and it says I am covered.

I have a 2001 CL-S with 92K (bought Jan 2005 no ext warranty) ....and I'm not sure what I need to do after reading this

Your best bet is to see what the car is worth to you, selling wise or keeping it. The trannies aren't that bad, on this board it seems like they are because well this is a forum board where you discuss problems. I think it was 1 in 6 have issues. It would be in your best interests to wait though, until the courts decide what to do further which I assume will swing into H/A's favor. Then you will get to 109k miles and decide again whats best for you and your CL .
Old 11-25-2006, 11:54 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CL'er 1st & 2nd Gen's
They stated the mediator

I'd have rather had a mechanic. This guy might not been under a car or changed his own oil in his life.
As many judges as I deal with at my job (plenty) most of them came from old money and have never done a whole lot for themselves.

Quick Reply: Transmission Class Action Settlement Website - Transmission Letter