New working theory on transmission (and engine mount) failure...throttle anyone?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM
140,000 miles young

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New working theory on transmission (and engine mount) failure...throttle anyone?

I have a new (to me at least as of two days ago) theory as this why this car and others break trannys.

Or in my case, the passenger-side motor mount, twice, in the last three years, even with the Ingalls Stiffy engine damper I have had installed for the last year.

My theory is this - the throttle is wayyyyy to sensitive right at open and close. As in, your engine is spinning at 3000+ rpm, and then you slam the throttle closed by lifting your foot to brake instead of easing off the gas pedal and allowing the engine to slowly transition from adding power to taking it off with engine braking.

My thought is that if you aren't smooth, the throttle slams closed and the engine rotates and puts stress on other components. In my case I'm lucky, got a strong tranny, and I break motor mounts.

I talked to a lady at a gas station who happened to be putting washer fluid in her 01 accord v6. mentioned something, and we get to talking about her tranny being replaced and so i asked about the symptoms and stuff. Sounded like I might be right.

The motor either brakes the mount hanging off the front, or the tranny hanging off the back.

I have a bright idea about changing the round throttle cable cam for an oval one and see if that makes the on/off transition smoother.

I welcome your thoughts!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
not to discredit your theory, but the torque of the engine rocking back and fourth destroys motor mounts, because of poorly designed mounts.

check other makes and models of cars, their motor mounts are designed to be STOUT with less HP than our cars.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
140,000 miles young

Originally Posted by justnspace
not to discredit your theory, but the torque of the engine rocking back and fourth destroys motor mounts, because of poorly designed mounts.

check other makes and models of cars, their motor mounts are designed to be STOUT with less HP than our cars.
Your point is totally valid, in fact I was going to mention the amount of torque the engine makes at such and such an rpm as possibly a factor, but I didn't want to get into it.

And yes, the mounts are shit I am poly filling them as they break. But, it does point to the amount of stress on the components attached to the block when rough shifts happen.

Oh thats the other thing, my tranny loves to shift from 2 to 3 righttttt as I'm trying to close the throttle. When that happens, wholy hell it sounds like a gun went off as the tranny slams the change home and you can feel it. Makes you feel sick lol hence why I don't drive the thing unless its in manual mode anymore. I'll choose when to shift, thank you very much lol.

#wishesitwasadamn6speed
Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM
10th Gear

I hear you on #wishesitwasadamn6speed