View Poll Results: How many miles do you have on your latest (PCM version replacement slushbox)?
0 to >1K miles
14.80%
1K to >5K miles
8.67%
5K to >10K miles
13.27%
10K to >20K miles
11.22%
20K to >40K miles
11.22%
40K to >60K miles
12.76%
60K to >70K miles
9.18%
70K to 100K miles
18.88%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Latest updated replacement tranny (the one with the PCM change)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2001 CL-S, and it has 65 k. I called the dealer yesterday for an inspection....did i make a bad move ? What should i expect from the dealership, treans seems fine, hard reverse engagement, 2-3 upshift harsh, and lound whinning...
Old 10-25-2004, 03:30 AM
9th Gear

blue paint on bolts = rebuilt tranny

Should you figure out how to force a New instead of Rebuilt, please post how you pulled it off.

The required controller replacement that comes with the rebuilt tranny softens the shift points taking a fair amount of the starch out of how the car drives.

oil jet uses the fill plug in the top of the case to spray the return line on 2nd gear since it turns blue when it gets too hot, which it's inclined to do. This recall is not optional.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Advanced

OK they installed the kit, and it seems the same, however my question is, what is the likelihood that after the service is done, that the trans will go bad again? I previously had a 97 CL 3.0 premium, and had to get rid of it as i got tired of replacing the transmission every year for the same problem. Is there an upgrade kit of somesort (aftermarket) that can be fitted ?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced

i also meant to say that the fill plug is normal, and it seems as though an extra "pod" was mounted next to it with a hose sticking out of it.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Cruisin'

2003 Acura CL (non type-s)
73,000 miles on 2nd trans, was replaced @ 64,000 miles on 6/11/04 no problems yet, (that i've noticed)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 PM
4th Gear

Well I am a victim as well. The tranny was running fine until we took the car in because of the recall. My gf drove the car home and it sat for a week. She took the car for a drive and after 20 miles it started slipping between shifts and then it would shift hard. Our car has 34k miles on it and I was like WTF. We had the car towed back to the Acura dealership. After reading all of these issues. I think it's getting traded in for sure.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got 80,000 on my 01. The tranny went at 58,000 and then a year later they recalled it for the oil jet. They said it was ok. I think I have felt a couple of rough shifts, but one thing for sure, Acura really screwed this tranny up...

They really do not have a fix since from 04 on, the TLs make their power at 5000 RPMs where the earlier models did so at 3500. The tranny was mismatched for the engine and so they decided to retune the engine and make tranny changes. Check the specs.. They went from a hot v6 with more low end torque than any other manufacturer to the only manufacturer that need to be at 5000 RPMs for max torque. Hell a v6 camry has 225 horsepower with 240 torque at 3600 rpms. Sure it might not run as fast as the TL overall, but it has more torque than a tl has and it makes it at 3600

They did it to save the trannies since they do not know how to properly test their products before getting them out in the field. I have had 3 acuras... I will not buy another one. I will just run this into the ground on untill it needs a nother tranny. I am hoping the tranny slips before 100k or the dam thing lasts a couple more years and then I will donate it....
Old 12-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

The first one went out at 38k.....the second one went out at 96k in August....I believe I'm gonna have to have beg, bitch, and complain if the tranny doesnt last to 196k.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 AM
4th Gear

The above is very disturbing. What's funny is I have been shopping for weeks now and not too many cars compare to my CL. I am still shopping though.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Draiden
Wytman,

Let me know if you have any luck with that letter. My 2nd tranny (2001 CL-S) just blew at 101,000 miles and I am fighting with them for a replacement. So far, the "best" they could (would) offer was to give me a rebuilt tranny for free but charge me for labor - $640. I told them that this was crap but have goeet no where so far.

This is not a good sign of coverage after the 100k mark...
Sorry I didn't see your note until now. This is likely irrelevant to you any more, but I figured I would reply anyway. I never heard anything from Acura at all. I called as well about the letter, they said they were reviewing my complaint and request and I have not gotten anything further. I have officially given up. I have 63k on my car now - I hate the transmission. I plan on getting it to 100k in a couple years, and then trading it in for something new from a non-Honda company.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Hey Wytman, you mentioned a $1700 estimate for the CL-S tranny? Would that basically be going from automatic to manual? (My apologies for utter lack of comprehension)
I got a quote from a junk yard for $1700 just to purchase the required parts for a conversion to a manual. The tranny was out of a '03 at the time. Junk yard was somewhere in Indiana. I figured I would be adding easily another grand to have it installed - and then I roll the dice that the tranny from the yard will last. In short, I decided against this because it simply was too expensive.

Eric
Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 PM
7th Gear

Add me to the Tranny Club. 2001 CL Type S.

Sporatic shift problems AFTER they did the recall work. All of a sudden the 2nd to 3rd jerking and reving with no power to the wheels starts. Also a whining sound from the tranny which quickly got worse.

My lease is up in 2 weeks. Dealer says a new tranny and computer are on order. Till then, driving a TSX (No bottomend power whatsoever). 2 Days and counting....

Calling the inspection people tomorrow, Acura can have their car back. Funny how the dealer NEVER could repicate the problem until AFTER the recall thing.

Now that the lease is about to expire, they are kissing my butt royally. Sorry Acura! Stand behind your product and I'll remain a loyal customer. Heck, just create a 6 speed that fits and HOOK it up for free, problem solved.

Very dissapointing reading all I have read in here about the loss of performance. If I choose to buy the car, I'm stuck with less power, a new tranny every year and a 1 week TSX rental.

Question for all. What other Acrua models have the tranny thing? CL and TL as far as I know?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:52 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

This is rather discouraging but here goes: I replaced my original tranny at about 29K. The replacement didn't last. I had the "replaced" tranny replaced this time put in carbon graphite clutches. It now...AGAIN...is having to be redone. I do not have an Acura warranty as mine was voided(rebuilt title)when I bought it. Here is the issue as I see it:

1) Rebuilding is just trying to improve what appears to be a faulty design and that can only go so far.
2) Acura doesn't really know what the issues really are as, from what I've been told, there have been some 14 different revisions to the tranny/TCU/PCM
3) Does the oil jet improve the situation? My wife's 2003 TL was recalled and had the oil jet installed(mine was not since it's Acura's ugly duckling).
I have heard from one person that their car improved with the oil jet. Does any one here have any input?
4) I really do hope that Scalbert with his "HOPE" systems is working on making a computer controller for us.

As for me:
Free-revving, hard shifts, VSA + D-5 flashing, can't take 400-450HP etc..
Back to the tranny shop.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Cruisin'

tranny

im at 80,000 miles on 1st tranny replacement, still nothing unusual
happening, slight rough shifting and no power is all i've noticed...
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Keepin' it Gangsta

You'd think after 3-4 replacements, they would just admit they fucked up and offer you a manual, or a more reliable auto (if they have one.) It seems like it would be more cost-effective for them too, I'm sure 3 auto tranny's cost more than whatever they put in to convert to a 6-speed.

Personally, as much as I love the Auto-Manual, I would be slightly relieved to have a tranny I don't have to pay so much attention to as far as abnormal behavior. Plus I do miss driving a stick from time to time.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

tranny #1 died Oct '04 24,000 miles
tranny #2 died Apr '05 29,500 miles

this is actually the fourth transmission in the car. on the last replacement, the unit put in was bad from the start! so, technically, i'm on #4. maddening!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
8th Gear

So what should I do? I have a 03 CL (purchased 10/02) with 30K on it. I have noticed on only a few occasions a sudden downshift when braking at about 30 mph, but my tranny fluid is a dirty brownish red color and that makes me nervous. I just found out about the recall, should I bring it in, or ride it out? Btw, I do have a timing belt recall as well so I probably won't have a choice in the matter, but if I did what should I do? I really don't want a rebuilt tranny if mine is operating fine.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Take it in and get it over with.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm at 45k on my 2nd transmission... with the updated PCM. The original transmission lasted to 48k.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

Replacement #2

I went into the dealer to have my front brakes replaced and was told that my transmission needs to be replaced (again). I replaced what I knew to be the first transmission at 45,000 miles and the car now has 54,000 miles. Dealer told me they had a bad batch of transmissions they were installing which I really don't buy. I didn't notice a loss of power when I had it replaced the first time, but I bought the car with 39,000 miles so it probably didn't come with the original transmission. Again, I have no complaints about the dealer (Bob Rohrman's Arlington Acura in Palatine, IL) as this is the third vehicle I've purchased and serviced there. Enterprise rent a car gave me a choice of a Cadillac, Infinity FX35, or a Stratus. Went with the Infinity which is one exotic looking station wagon, but a lot more appealing to drive or at least sit inside besides looking at it from the outside.

I'm beginning to think that this won't be the last replacement and my eyes are starting to wander when I pass new car dealerships. My boss who is somewhat of a gearhead tells me that it is pretty difficult to mate a 5 speed automatic transmission to a high horsepower vehicle with front wheel drive. My old Nissan Maxima was front drive and I understand the new models have comparable horsepower to my Type-S. I never had a problem with my Maxima except for the fact that it was boring. I may have to go back.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:35 PM
10th Gear

'03 CL Type S 28k miles = third transmission

Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM
10th Gear

99 TL-p w/ 1st replacement

now the new tranny has around 5K on it, so far it shifts ok between gears, i hope this one will last long...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Advanced

i am frankly scared of the car. it is truly not a dependable car and i tell you physically it is a great car. but mechanicly (tranny) it is the worst. I hope acura doesn't except thier consumers to continue to buy their cars. it is not like they are free or extremely cheap. plus the competition is no doing as bad as they are.

p.s. does that really work changing it to stickshift. and it that roughly the price?
i am a bit hesitant about doing that becuase i dont think they can match it up right
Old 10-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Advanced

the retail prices on it isn't that great either and people are not exactly running to by an acura cl. i just wish they could fix the tranny and do it right.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

possible law suit

I am about to file suit against american honda i have filed claims with acura client services. I have replaced my tranny four times and my engine light is on now which means that if I take it to the dealer they would have to change the tranny for the fifth time . The only problem is I am close to the 100,000 mile marker. I leased this vehicle. I have made contact with honda finance and told them that if they asborb the mileage I would be leasing the 2006 rl from them. In less then 3 hrs their reply was simply because of high mileage they are unable to do anything for me. i have done this the civil way now it is time to take legal action.

Is their any way I may contact ur lawfirm and speak to them concerning this matter. i live in new york and i am a paralegal and i am familair with proceedings in the court of law.

Let me know what can be done.

Originally Posted by pdxmac
Hey guys I pluckd this off of the Acur site. Sounds like thoe guys are having trouble finding enough people to lodge complaints...I emailed him, you should to.

-Our law firm has filed a lawsuit against American Honda Motor Co., Inc. regarding defective automatic transmissions. The complaint alleges that these transmission failures are a safety hazard because they can cause the vehicles to downshift abruptly and without warning, at any speed, and cause sudden deceleration, loss of power, wheel lock, loss of control, and collisions. The vehicles involved, at this time, include 2000 through 2003 Acura 3.2 CL (including Type S); 2000 through 2003 Acura 3.2 TL (including Type S); and 2000 through 2001 Honda Accord, Odyssey, and Prelude. We request that anyone who has experienced these or other problems with an automatic transmission in any of these vehicles, including but not limited to property damage or personal injury, contact us with details of your experiences at hondacomplaints@pkns.com
Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

I think my vehicle is classified under the lemon law statute for New York State. the statute reads as follows if the same problem cannot be repaired after four or more attempts,: or if your car is out of service to repair a problem for a total of thirty days during the warranty period; or if the manufacturer or its agent refuses to repair a substantial defect or condition within twenty days of reciept of notice sent by you to the manufacturer by certified mail, return reciept requested; then you may be entitled to either a comparable car or a refund of the purchase price, plus license and registraction fees, minus a mileage allowance only if the vehicle has been driven more than 12,000 miles. I have changed my tranny 4 times already. my engine light comes on right now as ui am writing to u so what do u guys think. Am i classfied under the lemon law statute.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:45 AM
3rd Gear

Damn trainee

Sup every1! first time @ this page and yes! a proud cl owner. I jst got my trainee replaced by the dealer and my car runs so much better than before, I jst can't believe that mines went @ 38k I used to owned a '02 v6 accord coupe and the same S@*T happened to me I jst wondering if HONDA-ACURA are doing something about this
Old 12-22-2005, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

i'm thinking of gettin a 02 cl-s... i have a 01 accord 4 cyl right now and i dunno if the risks of gettin this car is worth it? also, i was wondering is acura dealerships would consider deducting the money from a recall trans swap into puttin a manual transmission into it. in other words, allow me to pay the difference. the cl has about 90k and has had no problems, but the owner (my friend) drives it like a granny. he has taken it from cali to iowa 2 times thou but then he has seen LA traffic for a year that he's had it. i really would like that extra punch of a v6, but i dont want to join the club that many of u guys are a part of. i really feel for u guys with the problems thou, you don't buy honda's just for performace but the reliability that the name is associated with.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Careful with one of these with 90k. Get one with low milage for the 100k warranty, remember Acura will charge more than 2k for a tranny.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Cruisin'

Can someone point me in the right direction to file a massive class action lawsuit against Acura/Honda? I already emailed the "hondacomplaints". There are just way too many Acura and Honda owners that are having the same transmission problems as I am.
I am an orginial owner of a 2001 3.2CL and absolutely loved the car until I got my 2nd Tranny replaced a month ago and now my 3rd tranny a week ago. 1st one was free at 65k, 2nd one at 122k- they tried to make me pay $3,800 - talked them down to labor only at $1,200, but am trying to get that reimbursed, 3rd one - free since the 2nd one sucked. Look, I've always been a Honda owner and have NEVER had this many problems with a tranmission! I love my car!! but now, I'm bummed and I don't think I will ever consider it as reliable as a Honda should be! The fact that the company thinks the owner should absorb the costs for their rebuilt garbage is ridiculous! I'm wondering how many times I'm going to have it replaced while I own it?? SOMEONE HELP ME! Thanks for listening....
Old 01-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Tranny

Keturah what state do u live in.

find out out the lemon law staute in ur state or let me know what it is and i may be able to help
Old 01-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

may be we could help eachother on this one
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

tranny again........

Originally Posted by by 1
may be we could help eachother on this one
I live in Southern California. Check my other (longer) post. Another acura owner in SoCal successfully sued Honda Corp and received a nice settlement within 3 mos. I'm trying to get in touch with his particular lawyer. I'm going in for my 4th tranny replacement today. All I'm getting is rebuilt CRAP! ugh, sooo over it!!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by by 1
Keturah what state do u live in.

find out out the lemon law staute in ur state or let me know what it is and i may be able to help
By1
You can contact me directly at Keturahkat@hotmail.com.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by typeS_CLark
just wanted to share,
i've replaced my tranny at 47k miles and now it has gone out again at 94k miles, it's now in the shop getting replaced and they said that it has another 3 yr 36k mile warrant on the replacement. has anyone had any luck on getting a deal on trading it in? i think i'm done with my CL

hi, from your post you said that the tranny was being replaced again at 94kmiles,
they told you that you have another 3yr/36k warranty - meaning past the 100,000 mi. warranty? when i got mine done at 64,000 miles, they told me
its only warranted to the 100,000 miles, im now at 96k - on the 1st replacement and not experiencing problems yet.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced

if your intention is to get a replacement before hitting 100,000 just keep shifting between 2nd and 3rd, Also remember that replacement parts are warrantied for 2 yrs / 24,000 miles.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Well unfortunately i'm now among the horrible ass honda transmission club. I just got my car (02 cl-s) a little less than a month ago with 80k. I went on vacation this week and decided to drive it from DC to FL. Well everything was going well till thursday. Tranny started slipping and not shifting, all the usual lights came on (cel, vsa and(!)). Friday I was driving to the acura dealer in naples and the thing starts locking up in traffic so I almost get run over my an ml55. I get it there and they were actually all nice and good to me, unlike 3 dealers ive been to in my own area. Well they said we can get you a rental BUT you cant leave the state with it. Hows tht going to help me when I have to be at work on tuesday?? So I leave there and get the super dooper cool ass dodge stratus to drive for 2 days. Then I had to catch a plane to meet up with my parents who were driving back from their vacation in daytona. And in another week or 2 i get to fly back and hopefully my car will be right. Im hoping that they will help me out with the costs of flights since it wasnt my choice necessarily to leave it there but I had to. Car now has 84,666.0 miles on it (kinda ironic if you ask me) Im thinking I may just have to sell it and find something that dosent have these problems. Cause this isnt why I bought a Honda. This is my 3rd and definetly isnt the "charm" . Ok im done ranting to you guys now

randall
Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Dc Metro Area Tranny Issue

All:

I'm joining the sh1tty transmission club! I bought my 2001 Acura CL S Type W/Nav in November of 2005. The car was spotless! Looked beautiful. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the car was stickered at only $14,999 with 62,000 miles while I saw other NON S-Types without NAV still going for more some with higher mileage.

Well one day I start my new job and a guy says... "Hey man is that your CL"...I'm like yeah. He's like "I have one too, have you had any problems with the transmission". I'm like "No". Then he starts to tell me his horror story.

Do you know that FUCKNG tranny went up the SAME DAMN DAY!! At that point I was at 68,000.

They had it replaced within 3 days. And I agree with everyone else. That loaner car was a piece of shit. I think I had the car that is a step up from the while I see everyone else got a TSX, they gave me a TL. Not bad, but nowhere near as fast as my CL S-Type, and quite frankly I didn't feel like I was driving a nice luxury car when I drove it.

Anyway...I got my "new" tranny. They call it, "remanufactured" not "rebuilt". Which they swear means parts were changed out to correct the issue.

I don't know if I buy it. They also claimed they changed the computer.

I noticed most of these posts are from 2004. Has anyone had their tranny replaced DEC 2005 or LATER and still experienced another failed transmission??

If I go through a second or third transmission I will also solicit people to file a class action suit or to find some other sort of remedy.

The whole reason I bought this fCNKG car instead of that Volvo C70 droptop that I wanted so bad is because when I think Honda/Acura I think realiability. My Acura Integra has 195,000 miles on it. 1987. Still RAN STRONG before I traded it in for something newer. Now I get this 2001 Acura CL the flashship honda crap and I get tranny issues!

Damn I wish I had read about this before my purchase. But I'm not one to just take it in the ass. If I have as many problems as some of you guys, I will be getting another car from Acura, or some sort of monetary sum.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

Looks like I will be joining the club shortly. Mine started downshifting from 5th to 2nd this morning. I had to drive to work in manual mode and drive in 4th gear. 1st to 2nd gear in traffic is a jolt (anything under 4k rpm).

I called my local Acura Dealer they can't help me until Wednesday. So I have to drive on it for another two days, because they don't have any loaner cars available until then.

I purchased my 2001 CL 11 months ago with 54k miles on it, and just rolled over 90k. I hadn't had any tranny issues until now, just out of the blue this morning.

Now I get to live the horror stories I've read.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 AM
4th Gear

Has anyone had any recent tranny problems? I`ve just recently purchased a 2001 cl type s about a week ago w/ 55k + some. From reading all the posts I`m starting to regret purchasing this CL. I`ve owned a 99 tl and traded it in for the 01 cl type s, I hope I dind`t make the wrong choice.

Quick Reply: Latest updated replacement tranny (the one with the PCM change)