Acura CL/Accord Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 AM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Acura CL/Accord Suspension help

Hi I tried to post on another honda forum yet they require you to wait 7 days after you register to make your first post. And I know this is an acura forum yet I understand the suspension between the Acura CL and honda accord is very similar. I recently bought a '99 accord coupe with 276k on it, I hope to make it over 300k but inexpensively. I've been told my ball joints need to be replaced and I've heard lots of creaks from the front suspension. Also I hear some clunking in the rear, no idea what it could be although I've removed everything loose in the car. I've done some research on these companies which sell on ebay, they have tons of good feedback plus parts are at a much better price than honda OEM parts sold on discount sites. I'm thinking of buying one of these kits and then buying Honda lower ball joints to press into these lower control arms. I don't know whether I'll need the rear sway bar end links replaced nor the front sway bar bushings. These kits seem to have almost the same things, although Detroit Axel does have a 10 year warranty... Can anyone comment on these kits and or give advice other than 'dont buy ebay parts'?

16 Pcs Kit Complete Front & Rear Suspension Parts for Acura CL TL Honda Accord

Brand New 12pc Complete Front Suspension Kit for Honda Accord - 4Cyl ONLY

10 DLZ Suspension Control Arm Ball joint Sway Bar Kit for 98-02 Honda Accord | eBay
Old 01-04-2017, 10:03 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I can't comment on their quality, but you usually get what you pay for. OEM can be overpriced, but brand name aftermarket replacements can be better. Moog makes some quality stuff. The moog endlinks are especially better and easier to remove. Energy Suspension makes poly sway bar bushings. It seems likely that your shocks are all worn, thus the clunking.
The following users liked this post:
Mercedes>BMW (01-04-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Avoid those kits like the plague. They are genuine garbage. You're correct to want OEM lower ball joints, however they press into the knuckle and not the control arm. You can usually find them on Honda dealer sites for around $17/ea., but you have to pay shipping and almost always a $5 handling fee. I'm sure there are other things you can buy from the dealer to make the flat rate cost worth it.

As for the upper control arms and outer tie rod ends, there are a few companies that offer great products and come in substantially cheaper than OEM. AC Delco's professional line and Lemforder. Lemforder can be difficult to come by as they are a German company, but AC Delco PRO parts are fantastic enough that I'd buy them if they were available.

As suggested, the sway bar bushings can just be Energy Suspension or Prothane that you can buy for $20 all day long. The end links are one area where the current MOOG offerings are okay, because they diameter of the shaft between the two joints is larger than on any other brand.

MOOG quality has gone down over the years. They've been able to coast on the fact that they built up a very good reputation and people on the internet regurgitate things without question. Some people have had success, but I and many other people have documented going into a parts store and buying two of the same MOOG parts and getting one USA-made part and one Taiwanese part under the same part number with VERY different quality. One pair of outer tie rods (obviously different numbers between L & R) were a different metal and one had a grease fitting where the other didn't.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
MOOG is junk!!! Save your self the time and aggravation and use Honda parts.