Slipping transmission 2001 CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slipping transmission 2001 CL-S

I have a 2001 CL-S with a 5 speed automatic and 46,000 miles. Today my transmission started slipping getting progressively worse over about 10 miles. While going up a hill the motor revved to 4000 and 5000 rpm without the car accelerating. I coasted over the top and idled down the hill and pulled off at the next exit and shut off the motor. After restarting it ran better but didn't feel wholly normal. I drove home slowly and parked it. Total miles driven about 20. I had accelerated hard up a steep freeway on ramp right before this happened. Right after that I felt the transmission starting to slip and it got worse fast. I have read threads on the transmission and seen posts about flushing the transmission and checking the solenoids and changing filters and rebuilding the transmission. I'm looking for specific recommendations for my car. What would you do with this car. It is in very good condition. I have budget for a rebuild or replacement but I don't want to over spend on a old car, however I would like to keep it. This car was bought by my father and given to me by my mother. I've had it two years and got it with 25,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

One last thing, when I turned off the motor at home I heard a sound like rotating metal on metal for a couple of seconds as the motor came to a stop.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

I took it in to a transmission shop around the corner where they do lots of Hondas and Acuras. I asked about doing a flush and cleaning service but the guy said that the fluid was so burnt that he felt that the clutch plates were damaged. He quoted me $2,974 for doing a rebuild with a kit and a torque converter and shift kit.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by MLeonard
I took it in to a transmission shop around the corner where they do lots of Hondas and Acuras. I asked about doing a flush and cleaning service but the guy said that the fluid was so burnt that he felt that the clutch plates were damaged. He quoted me $2,974 for doing a rebuild with a kit and a torque converter and shift kit.

Parts to rebuild cost around $1000 (if no hard parts are broken) so they want $1900 for rebuild and removal / install labor, seems a little high. Does that include any warranty? Make sure to use only Honda fluid, and use an upgraded TCC along with the shift kit. If you rebuild with a shift kit you will need to adjust the A-B solenoid for proper shifting (most shops do not do this).
Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the tips. Yes they quoted $1,975 for labor. I'll have to ask about warranty.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM
10th Gear

I got the car back with the rebuilt transmission. I've had it almost 2 weeks now. They added the upgraded TCC. It's better then before the problem happened. It shifts solidly now. It doesn't feel like it's slipping. It's getting the power down and accelerates faster. It seems that the problem was caused by the torque converter plates slipping and creating debris that clogged up the oil flow and burned out the clutch plates. I'm considering going back and having an external oil cooler and filter installed.