03 CL-S 6-MT Won't start, clicking noise. Starts when I move it forward

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Ura
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 CL-S 6-MT Won't start, clicking noise. Starts when I move it forward

My car is up there in mileage, 201,500 and counting. Over the last 3-4 months, it's had an intermittent starting problem - turn the key, all lights come on, fuel pump engages, turn to start and click, no start. Sometimes I'll just take out the key, give it a sec and it starts right up, no hesitation, strong crank. A couple of times, it's been some corrosion or not so tight negative terminal, which once tightened, it's starts right up.

Of late though, it's been harder and harder to start when this issue comes up. Now, after being away and coming back this morning, it wouldn't start at all even after finiggling with all the cables, terminals, cleaning and jiggling the keys. Finally I found some info online that the starter/solenoid may be in a "bad position". So I went back out, pushed the car forward about a foot, got back in and it started right up. At lunch time, I had to do the same thing again.

What exactly is the issue and the correct fix? Also, I'm due for a timing belt change (other one was at 95k miles). Could I have a bigger issue, say with crankshaft? The car seems louder of late. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
remove starter
check bendex if teeth are missing replace it
have someone crank engine by hand using a socket on the PS pump
watch flywheel and make sure all teeth are present, if not, you got some work as the trans has to come out and you might as well do the clutch and everything else
Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Ura
4th Gear

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
remove starter
check bendex if teeth are missing replace it
have someone crank engine by hand using a socket on the PS pump
watch flywheel and make sure all teeth are present, if not, you got some work as the trans has to come out and you might as well do the clutch and everything else
Thanks Y, so you don't think it's a starter issue? Solenoid?
FYI, later in the afternoon after work, the car started and a couple of times after that without any pushing, but it doesn't rev up then level off as normal. It simply starts directly in idling rpm.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
it could also be the solenoid is not engaging, they do make repair kits or you can get another aucra starter. I would stay away from aftermarket.. imho, based upon what you described in the first post I would think teeth are missing off of the starter motor
Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Ura
4th Gear

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
it could also be the solenoid is not engaging, they do make repair kits or you can get another aucra starter. I would stay away from aftermarket.. imho, based upon what you described in the first post I would think teeth are missing off of the starter motor
Just now it started normally and drove to work. I'll definitely look into a new starter. I've had the car since 2K miles and it may be about time anyhow, thanks.