2G CL Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

INSTALLING NEW GAUGES! ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Old 07-19-2001, 05:05 PM
i like chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INSTALLING NEW GAUGES! ONCE AND FOR ALL!

ok, i see this question all the time so here you go.

first, take off all the molding around the steering column. there are screws underneath. easy.

next, the cruise button and the dimmer need to come out. use the smallest flathead you have and pry it between the molding and the button housing. there are 2 prongs on the top and bottom of these housings that bend in and clip when it is installed so you need to work at getting these to bend in to pull the housing out. unplug them.

next, there are 4 screws for the black frame housing that covers the plexi, 2 on top and 2 you will find in those openings where you took out the switches. you will need a long philips head to get these out.

slide the housing over the wheel (put the wheel all the way down).

to get the gauge cluster out, remove all the screws holding it in, and also remove the steel frame on the top of it. you cant get it out without removing this stupid little frame. there are 3 or 4 plugs on top of the cluster that you need to unplug, and dont worry you dont need to mark them they only fit their respective holes.

next remove the plexi from the cluster by removing the clips that hold it on. very easy.

once the cluster is out and the plexi is off, install the gauges by removing the screws on the old gauges. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE NEEDLES, THEY DONT COME OFF... YOU WILL BREAK YOUR NEEDLE ROD CLEAN OFF.

slide the gauge hole over the long part of the needle, then bend the gauge down and slide it over the back of the needle. BE CAREFUL!

VERY IMPORTANT STEP: remove the 4 bulbs in the back of the cluster directly behind the gauges. this is 2 fold. one you dont need these anymore and the lights will have a blue plastic around them that you can use for really neat interior lighting! (wow!) also, these lights might be bright enough to shine thru the new gauges, im not sure, but better safe than sorry!

there are 2 wires out of the transformer for the indiglos. a power and a ground. but first put everything back except the black housing piece that goes in front of the plexi. make sure your new gauge wires are off to the right and can be pulled through the hole where the dimmer switch goes.

there are 3 wires that run into the back of the dimmer harness. run the power into either red wire (both work) that goes into the back of the dimmer harness, and the black into the black wire on the harness.

put everything back, wash your hands, and take a bow, you now have bootylicious gauges.

have a nice day!
Old 07-19-2001, 09:34 PM
Hum........what next??

Originally posted by rmstoico:
<STRONG>VERY IMPORTANT STEP: remove the 4 bulbs in the back of the cluster directly behind the gauges.............you dont need these anymore ..........</STRONG>
I would consider that an option. If you don't leave 1 or 2 of the bulbs (in the center area), you will not be able to easily read your odometer & tripmeter at night. This may or may not matter to you, so just use your own jugement. Plus, it's real easy to change your mind and just put them back in, just don't use one of those center bulb holes to run your gauges wires thru.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: CL-Z ]
Old 07-19-2001, 09:41 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally posted by CL-Z:
<STRONG>

I would consider that an option. If you don't leave 1 or 2 of the bulbs (in the center area), you will not be able to easily read your odometer & tripmeter at night. This may or may not matter to you, so just use your own jugement. Plus, it's real easy to change your mind and just put them back in, just don't use one of those center bulb holes to run your gauges wires thru.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: CL-Z ]</STRONG>
Good point I only left one in and i can barely see the odometer. Kinda a pain but its a pain to pull the whole dash apart again so i guess im just going to leave it
Old 07-19-2001, 09:50 PM
Hum........what next??

Originally posted by 1StGenCL:
<STRONG>

Good point I only left one in and i can barely see the odometer. Kinda a pain but its a pain to pull the whole dash apart again so i guess im just going to leave it </STRONG>
Yeah, I left all the bulbs out on my old Civic and could not see the meters at all (I never ended up putting mine back in either). This time I decided to leave the two center bulbs in and I can see the meters just fine.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

So would it be ok to leave all 4 of them in? Just curios since I haven't done the install yet.... Thanks!
Old 07-19-2001, 09:54 PM
Instructor

It's definitely ok to leave all four.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool.

Don't you just love this forumn? Not only do you get an idea of what to do to your car, not to mention resources of where the find the stuff, instructions how how to do the install, but you also get quick knowlegable answers from people that have the experience in doing the same this. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-19-2001, 11:24 PM
i like chicken

there are more than 4 bulbs. if you remove only the ones behind the gauges you replaced, the other bulbs will still light up the other areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2001, 07:07 AM
10th Gear

hey rmstico.....how much is it for the indiglo gauges u have? I'm interested in buying it....read some other posts and found that u sell them...are they still in backorder? or can u sell some now?
Old 07-21-2001, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

one thing about running the wires through the dimmer is dont cut them all the way. they shoud still connect to the switch. my bad exparience was that i tapped the el-guage wires right into the red and black wire (withought running it back through the dimmer, and now the climate control buttons dont light up anymore.. and the odometer either.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:11 AM
i like chicken

1genCL
one thing about running the wires through the dimmer is dont cut them all the way.
they shoud still connect to the switch. my bad exparience was that i tapped the
el-guage wires right into the red and black wire (withought running it back through
the dimmer, and now the climate control buttons dont light up anymore.. and the
odometer either.
that will happen if the factory dimmer switch is not completely connected with the wire harness. with the extra wires from the gauges, it may go into the harness a little tougher, but once in you will have no problems. mine have been fine since i installed them in January.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Spidey

OK Where can I see the "White E-glo gauges and/or the "Indiglo Gauges" so I can decide which I like best? Anyone?....Anyone?.....Buehler?......Buehler?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Spidey
OK Where can I see the "White E-glo gauges and/or the "Indiglo Gauges" so I can decide which I like best? Anyone?....Anyone?.....Buehler?......Buehler?

You can see them back in July of 2001 when this thread was created.

Try a search
Old 10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Spidey

Thanks mrsteve! On my third search attempt I hit pay dirt. I found pix and instructions for the Indiglo Guages. I didn't find any pix for the E-glo guages. This may be a dumb question but are the "Indigo gauges" and the "E-glo gauges" one and the same thing, giving me only one choice?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear

Hi, I am new to this forum and to Acuras. I have an 1999 2.3cl and I am looking to purchase the indiglo gauges. I have all the information needed to install thanks to these great forums.
I am just curious as to one thing:
I want the gauges to come on when I turn my headlights on only, just like stock. Will I get this result when I hook into the dimmer switch? and if not, how could I accomplish this.
Many thanks in advance for any insight!