2G CL Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comptech Icebox Filter Alternative!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just curious cause im gonna put a K&N in my icebox soon too
Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Your welcome Steve, anytime I can help, just let me know.

Philgates, as you can see in the 2nd picture on the first page of this thread is that the filter diameters are a tad bit different.

You need to install it when the weather is not cool/cold... Basically Steve had the issue of not being able to get the filter on very easliy, he wanted to know about the clamp, and also a question about the icebox screws in general... the dealership stripped 1 of his screws out when installing the icebox, so i told him how to fix it.

My experience... You can use alittle K&N filter oil to oil up the piping so it slides on easier.. or you can use a very small screw driver to easily help the filter along onto the piping... alittle heat works well too, if you have a heat gun or hair dryer you can warm up the mouth of the filter alittle so it is easier to work with.
I removed the clamp by UNSCREWING it completely. then after installing the fitler I placed it around the neck of the filter and slightly tightened it...

Smitty
Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Oh ok so its just tight getting the filter on! Thats not to bad to deal with. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:27 AM
5th Gear

At a philly meet today someone mentioned the comptech alternative and I just ordered my K&N filter for my icebox. Never felt warm and fuzzy about the foam. Thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 08:00 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I just cleaned my ICEBOX foam filter a couple of weeks ago after driving 31K miles on it, and it looked no different than the one Smitty showed in this thread. The spot is indicative of where the excess oil sits as it sinks to the lowest part of the filter. AND, the guide pin is there for a purpose. It is off center because the filter (K&N or otherwise) does not - by design - sit perpendicular to the back of the box ... it has to sit at a slight angle - slightly turned to the left (counter clockwise). Upon install, you're suppose to have the pin (if looking straight down from the front of the car) on the right side of the filter so the filter fits into the box properly.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
I just cleaned my ICEBOX foam filter a couple of weeks ago after driving 31K miles on it, and it looked no different than the one Smitty showed in this thread. The spot is indicative of where the excess oil sits as it sinks to the lowest part of the filter. AND, the guide pin is there for a purpose. It is off center because the filter (K&N or otherwise) does not - by design - sit perpendicular to the back of the box ... it has to sit at a slight angle - slightly turned to the left (counter clockwise). Upon install, you're suppose to have the pin (if looking straight down from the front of the car) on the right side of the filter so the filter fits into the box properly.

Well the K&N fits properly regardless of the pin or not.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:12 AM
an adult perspective

and I'll consider the comments below before listening to anything from the peanut gallery.

Originally Posted by Jens H.
Well alternatives are nice and good .As far as that pin on the foam filter it will work .............as long as you rotate the filter ot the correct position .I used to run UNI foam filters on my bikes (literally for years) never had a problem .I see the foam filters here a lot have not seen any that have experienced any problems .KN is good stuff too but the cotton filter is fragile and must be cleaned very carefully and dried or else holes can develop that negate the worth of the filter .The foamies are a quick cleanup .
I found the comment about having to clean up the filter every 3000 miles interesting .I thought you guys were looking to extract the last iota of performance these cars can offer so it makes sense to keep the filter as clean as possible after all a clean filter works better than a dirty one .

Jens
Old 08-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

and I'll consider the comments below before listening to anything from the peanut gallery.
Feel free to, but much of the alternative information is not based on inexperience.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:21 PM
an adult perspective

Here we go again ...

I just cleaned my ICEBOX foam filter a couple of weeks ago after driving 31K miles on it, and it looked no different than the one Smitty showed in this thread. The spot is indicative of where the excess oil sits as it sinks to the lowest part of the filter.
Yup, no experience there. Mine looks exactly like Smitty's did with an additional 29k miles on it.

AND, the guide pin is there for a purpose. It is off center because the filter (K&N or otherwise) does not - by design - sit perpendicular to the back of the box ... it has to sit at a slight angle - slightly turned to the left (counter clockwise). Upon install, you're suppose to have the pin (if looking straight down from the front of the car) on the right side of the filter so the filter fits into the box properly.
Smitty commented in his first post that the guide pin served no purpose. Somebody else mentioned that they had to cut off the guide pin to make the flter fit the box. All I tried to indicate was that it did. Please advise how this could be considered confrontational, accusatory, or derogatory to any member and/or their particular belief that the K&N is better than the Comptech Foam unit. I would opine that in those 2 specific cases, it was totally due to inexperience that led them to that conclusion/course of action.

As far as alternative information .. if it wasn't for that, we'd all be driving stock CL's, and wouldn't be enjoying them 1/2 as much as we do now. However, alternative information (K&N offers an option f/u/w the ICEBOX), opinion (the POS foam filter) and factual inaccruacies (the guide pin serves no purpose) often become blurred over time when not understood in their proper context.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Smitty's reason for saying the guide pin serves no purpose was only to prove the K&N filter would work without a similar guide pin. The K&N filter lines up fine and as long as you aren't mildly retarded, you can clean and install it just fine.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Dude, don't fuck with Y2K3CL-S.

He knows his shit.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

I'm not "fucking" with him and I do not doubt his knowledge. I'm sure Comptech put that guide pin on the filter for some reason, but the fact that the K&N filter lacks a similar guide pin doesn't hinder the performance of this particular alternative filter.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Smitty commented in his first post that the guide pin served no purpose.

As far as alternative information .. if it wasn't for that, we'd all be driving stock CL's, and wouldn't be enjoying them 1/2 as much as we do now. However, alternative information (K&N offers an option f/u/w the ICEBOX), opinion (the POS foam filter) and factual inaccruacies (the guide pin serves no purpose) often become blurred over time when not understood in their proper context.
The post you quoted by Jens never mentioned the guid pin. It was just related to Jens experience with both the Unifilter and K&N. The guide pin is irrelevant to what I stated.

That said, IMO, the filter choice is more of a personal one than anything else. I prefer K&N, mostly because of my past useage and availability of the cleaning kits. The model chosen fits fine in the IceBox and has been on duty for quite some time.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:29 PM
an adult perspective

Seems to me that the second sentence of Jens' post specifically mentions the guide pin - before he went into his narrative about foam filters in general:

"Originally Posted by Jens H.
Well alternatives are nice and good .As far as that pin on the foam filter it will work .............as long as you rotate the filter ot the correct position."

And for the 'n'th time, I have not, did not, and will not attack/criticize/condem etc anybody's choice of the K&N filter over the Comptech ... I might even do it myself one of these days if I have some reason to believe that it will provide some measurable improvements in an area that is important to me - which right now is continuing to get over 30 mpg highway. The only points I was trying to make (since it seems to have been completely missed) were that 1) after 31k miles my foam filter looked no different than Smitty's did after 2k miles, and 2) the problems those people had with the pin (actually referred to as an "alignment post" by Comptech) on the filter fitting into the "alignment groove" on the bottom of the box were probably due to the fact that they did not correctly position the filter before they clamped the filter to the adapter elbow. Per Comptech's instructions:

Step #4 - Filter installation
- prepare filter
- assemble filter, clamp, elbow, bellows, clamps, extension, bellows loosely in that order
- bellows to throttle body
- Place filter in Icebox with alignment post in alignment groove (and they even show a bloody picture of it!) Obviously, if you didn't attempt to rotate the filter - as Jens most definitely did say - you've have problems securing the top of the assembly to the bottom part.

For the life of me, I absolutely fail to understand how anybody in their right mind can be taking anything that I have said as a personal affront! This forum is supposed to be about an exchange of information ... not an exchange of information as long as your opinion isn't any different than mine!
Old 08-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Seems to me that the second sentence of Jens' post specifically mentions the guide pin - before he went into his narrative about foam filters in

For the life of me, I absolutely fail to understand how anybody in their right mind can be taking anything that I have said as a personal affront! This forum is supposed to be about an exchange of information ... not an exchange of information as long as your opinion isn't any different than mine!
That's what happens when you skim through.

I dunno though, I don't know what affront you are referring to. I thought it was a discussion myself.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Anyway, if someone chooses to swap filters they do not need to worry about the pin. It will work fine without it.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:33 PM
an adult perspective

agreed .... and hopefully ended.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

So, Im a newbie. I bought a 2001 Cl-type s yesterday. completely stock (except for some fairly cheesy rims). I have to say that I am very pleased so far, but... Can someone give me the 411 on a cold air intake system. Does it affect the factory warranty? how does it affect the car's performance, and why do you all seem to have the Icebox system? (i.e. why is it so good?) Also, i looked up the install directions on line and it looks like a project, is it manageable?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by ray01cls
So, Im a newbie. I bought a 2001 Cl-type s yesterday. completely stock (except for some fairly cheesy rims). I have to say that I am very pleased so far, but... Can someone give me the 411 on a cold air intake system. Does it affect the factory warranty? how does it affect the car's performance, and why do you all seem to have the Icebox system? (i.e. why is it so good?) Also, i looked up the install directions on line and it looks like a project, is it manageable?
Welcome to the CL Club Newb

as for the icebox intake and warranty implications, it depends on the dealership you go with. I installed my icebox intake myself, and it didn't affect my warranty at all. I go to Cerritos Acura here in So cal. But again, it depends on your dealership. I've been going to this dealership for 7 years, and I know quite a few people there so they are cool with me.

As for why so many of us have this intake, it's probably because Comptech's parts so so well manufactured. They perform 10 times better than stock. And with Comptech (usually) there is no second guessing fitment issues. The gains are rated to be a little bit higher than the AEM intake; However, it's been hard to prove that on the dyno so far. But overall, the Icebox intake is the best out there for the CL/CL-S. But this also depends on personal taste. If you like the sleeper look and sound, go with the Icebox, if you like the loud,raspy sound of the AEM, then that's the one for you. The icebox has a nice deep hum to it at WOT; whereas, the AEM is loud at 5k rpm when VTEC kicks in.

As for installation, i installed mine myself, it wasn't that hard to be honest. Prior to that I had never performed any engine work myself, and I found this install to be easy. I must admit, I took it very slow because I didn't want to make any mistakes. But it wasn't difficult. If you have general tools and the patience, it's a fun install.

Good luck to ya!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are only two choices for your CL-S unless you do something custom. Icebox and AEM CAI and its split pretty evenly.

Here is alink to a thread for my install. If you have basic hands on skills it should be no problem for you to install it yourself
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152282

Here is another thread where members have listed their likes for both CAI's
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152282

Welcome to the board :blaze:
Old 01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

So has anyone tried to look for an AEM dryflow filter that can replace both Comptechs foam filter and K&N's coton gauze filter?

It seems that AEMs sizes are much more limited at this moment. I purchased an AEM dryflow filter to put it where the icebox ram CAI elbow goes instead of inside the icebox since I could not find an AEM filter that would fit properly like the K&N filter.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum...
The icebox that you guys are talking about here, is it for CL-s 6 speed? or just regular cl-s?....

I"ve noticed that the icebox part# is different for the CL-S 6 speed?, and in that case, will the K&N Filter fit into the 6-speed icebox?..

Thanks for your help

(03 Cl-S 6 speed)...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

The K&N filter will fit as long as the Comptech foam filter part numbers are the same for both kits.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
You know i was thinkin that there was probbaly a k&n that would fit, but didn't bother researchin the sizes. glad to see that someone took the time to.

i might just try that out cuz honestly i dont like the pos foam filter, i think that comptech could have done a better job ont eh filter. but they did say that the foam filter lasts longer but i dunno.
After having my Foam Filter on for 100K+ miles, I must say I retract my original statement.

The foam filter, albeit discolored from much use, is still going strong and I've noticed that it's done a great job at stopping the large and smaller particles. It's starting to show some serious wear with a small tear at one of the seams but overall still holds up very well.

I never tried the K&N in my icebox, don't know if I will either. The one thing though between the foam and k&n filter i've noticed, the foam filter takes longer to dry when cleaning it.