2G CL Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Woodgrain Upgrades! (Plus Steering Wheel How-To)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Woodgrain Upgrades! (Plus Steering Wheel How-To)

Ok, thanks the the help I got from the people in this thread things were a lot easier. My new steering wheel came with instructions but if yours does not, you might want to download the instructions found in that thread. Here are some pictures and some notes from my install to hopefully help others out...

Before install...

The horn and the SRS plug are beneath the steering wheel and look like this...

Now the instructions say to disconnect the battery and wait 3 minutes. This might have to do with the SRS computer. I don't have the code to my radio (for now) so I left it connected. However, after everything was done, my SRS light it on and does not go off. As soon as I get my code, I will disconnect the battery and see if it gets rid of the SRS light.

There is a Torx screw on each side holding the airbag in place. It takes a T-30 bit. I used an extension on my screwdriver to get a little more torque...

My steering wheel was new and came with two new Torx screws to use. If yours is used, you will probably need to reuse them so don't toss them like the instructions say. I imagine they only do this since it is what holds the airbag and the new screws have what appears to be a threadlock paste on them that, once broken, is not considered adequate by "safety standards". Here is what things look like with the airbag removed...

Now I don't know about yours but my steering wheel did NOT want to come off. It was on there GOOD! First, the center bolt was really tough. My instructions said it was 19mm but it clearly is not. It is 14mm. I used an impact wrench to make the job a hell of a lot easier and faster. I then had to use a gear puller to pry the steering wheel off. Now if you do this, the center screw part of the gear puller is going to be pushing into the hole. DO NOT DO THIS unless you have something for it to push against! You don't want to damage your threads inside! I found that a 5/16" washer was a perfect fit in there for the piece to push down against.

If you do any work on cars at all, you have a torque wrench around. The instructions say to torque the center bolt to 36 ft-lbs. Here is the final install of my new woodgrain parts...

Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM
about::blank

Nice job, looks great and good tips. Why did I think you had a Type - S??
Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Dunno man! Because I give a sh!t about my car and usually that's only CLS owners? hehe Ok, so I'm slamming CL owners and I am one. I could have gotten a CLS but I got a good deal on this one and it is just my daily driver. I like the woodgrain interior more as well. Just my preference. This is what I drive when I have the urge to go fast. ...

Thanks for the comments. I know its not the best "write up" in the world but I always feel better seeing pics before I try to do something. Hope it helps someone else out and make the job easier.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
nice, i have the wood grain accents too... im waiting to install the dash vents and gauge bezel, looks like you just need that to complete the look.

oh and i need the steering wheel too, lol.

did you clean the vents before putting the woodgrain on it? i know your supposed to use a solution to get any armor all off.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CleanCL
nice, i have the wood grain accents too... im waiting to install the dash vents and gauge bezel, looks like you just need that to complete the look.

oh and i need the steering wheel too, lol.

did you clean the vents before putting the woodgrain on it? i know your supposed to use a solution to get any armor all off.
Yeah, I really considered the woodgrain around the gauges but all the pics I saw were in the CLS which has the white gauges. Looks NICE! Didn't quite know if I would like it or not given the woodgrain at the top of the steering wheel. I may still do it. Would like to see pics of it first though. Post one when you do it!

As for cleaning the vents, YES! A must! I cleaned them fairly well with a little soap and water and made sure they were dry. Nope! Not good enough. Damn sticky stuff on the back of the accents did not want to stick. I didn't have any alcohol around so I squirted a bit of brake cleaner on a rag and went over the areas that would be in contact with the tape. Brake cleaner > ALL! hehehe
Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for the tip. looks very clean in the black car, better than i thought it would. i have the beige so the woodgrain is my only option.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Damn, I must admit, that looks I have always liked the woodgrain in the CL-p on ebony int. I think it looks a lot nicer than the black marble stuff. Nice job man. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Thanks man! I appreciate all the kind words! I probably won't do any performance mods especially given it is a CL and the extended warranty but I do have some more appearance mods in the works.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Now the instructions say to disconnect the battery and wait 3 minutes. This might have to do with the SRS computer. I don't have the code to my radio (for now) so I left it connected. However, after everything was done, my SRS light it on and does not go off. As soon as I get my code, I will disconnect the battery and see if it gets rid of the SRS light.
Just an update, (I'm surprised more people don't know about this or perhaps they just don't read other threads and share). I found this today...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=reset+light

Instead of using a bent paperclip, it is easier to just use a wire. Also, just to make it clearer, the yellow plug with the two green wires is not the one you are jumping. It is the smaller plug above it.

This didn't read correctly to me the first time I read it but after reading again, it made more sense. Just thought I would point this out in case someone else doesn't catch it. Easily reset the SRS light myself. Quick and painless. In fact, it is so much easier than pulling the battery that I would recommend doing it this way anyway!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
that looks really classy. nice job on the intall and step by step pic instructions.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Racer

Very nice the red woodgrain really matches with with the black good step by step and great visual
Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Hey thanks!! I am still considering whether or not I want to get the woodgrain trim for the dash gauges. I think it looks great against the white CLS gauges but not sure how I would like it with black gauges. I will be posting a how-to for both iPod and Bluetooth install with the stock Bose system so look for that soon. Thanks again for the comments.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Hey thanks!! I am still considering whether or not I want to get the woodgrain trim for the dash gauges. I think it looks great against the white CLS gauges but not sure how I would like it with black gauges. I will be posting a how-to for both iPod and Bluetooth install with the stock Bose system so look for that soon. Thanks again for the comments.

to be honest with you, that looks perfect. Dont go overboard. BTW, where did you get the wheel from and how much?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by o2cls
to be honest with you, that looks perfect. Dont go overboard. BTW, where did you get the wheel from and how much?
Thanks man. Yeah, I am certainly not into those aftermarket kits. They look horrible. Sometimes "less is more". That's why I'm considering not even bothering with the (OEM of course!) gauge trim.

Got the wheel brand new from this guy (Acura dealership)...

http://stores.ebay.com/Acura-of-Esco...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

...for $360. Not cheap, granted, but a hell of a let better deal than retail.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
yea, mines worn pretty bad.........time for the upgrade!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Instructor

I would consider selling you my old one, bro. However, I'm keeping it packed away for the day I sell the car. I'll most likely get more money for the woodgrain wheel on ebay at that time as opposed to letting it go with the car. Same goes for the shifter knob. They really are more than just looks IMO. Feels classier too. Nice and smooth.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Trust Me I'm Better!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What would the Stealership charge for something like this? Also how come the pics don't work anymore??
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Trilight. :-(

I saw this and wanted to let you guys know that Trilight passed away Aug. 10, 2006. His Acura CL hydroplaned and was struck on the drivers side by a van. I'm so sorry you guys found out so late, but I read on some posts that you didn't know why his pictures weren't working anymore and didn't want you to think he ditched conversations. He was a very close friend of mine for more than a decade.

Please be careful when driving!!!! :-)
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
GIMBAP

Originally Posted by lillithchick
I saw this and wanted to let you guys know that Trilight passed away Aug. 10, 2006. His Acura CL hydroplaned and was struck on the drivers side by a van. I'm so sorry you guys found out so late, but I read on some posts that you didn't know why his pictures weren't working anymore and didn't want you to think he ditched conversations. He was a very close friend of mine for more than a decade.

Please be careful when driving!!!! :-)

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. It's kinda getting scary. I mean automakers are increasing the horsepower but people driving habits (common sense) are getting worse especially here in Vegas.

Drive safely everybody!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
yea I got the steering wheel a few months ago right when i got the car and I tackled it myself.

here's a picture I dug up that should hopefully be of some help.

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF0264.jpg

I did everything and then the steering wheel was off by like degree so I had to un-do the main center bolt and re-tighten at the correct angle.

It IS splined, BUT there is a bit of movement and if u are always LOOKING to make 1000000% sure you got it right. you may notice it's not perfect, and have to go back in there and straighten things out literally.