RonJon CL-S 6 speed, 286hp to the wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
RonJon CL-S 6 speed, 286hp to the wheels!

Had this video in my computer, decided to upload it:

Brief history:
Had the AEM FIC-6 to tne the 6 lbs of boost, ended up tuning it to the dyno graph shown below at 300hp top the wheels, car was fucking faster than ever. only thing was that after 3 days or 1 drive cycle, the O2 numbers were all whacky and the cars own ECU retuned everything and messed it all up. So we couldn't figure out how to tune the J32 ECU and ended up just adjusting the FPR and monitoring the wideband numbers which to this day have been perfect and steady. Also had the blwoer completely rebuilt by the original manufacturer in Magnuson, so it was basically new. Also had the slipping belt replaced and tightened, no more slipping and a new clutch (OEM). Everything was updated, car runs like a gem now at 286 hp to the wheels.
I walked on an S5 who actually had the jump on me off the line, and clocked in at about 5.2 seconds 0-60 with one of those dyno aps for the iphone. I know with more traction and with a better hook up from some poly engine mounts, I could dip into 4.9 maaaaaaybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bejx3W-T0MI

Last edited by rondog; 01-31-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Lookin good!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Sweet man. I wish I could get those types of numbers on my TSX.

Maybe one day....
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
nice! Can't wait to get mine tuned/dynoed. I think i'm going to pick up a emanage blue. Is the 6psi the original pulley that comes with the s/c? By the way, i'll get that $ to you this week.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gnuts
nice! Can't wait to get mine tuned/dynoed. I think i'm going to pick up a emanage blue. Is the 6psi the original pulley that comes with the s/c? By the way, i'll get that $ to you this week.
I don't know what came with your blower, but the original one from comptech comes with 3 lbs of boost. Then there;s the 6 lb high boost pully for the alternator. I had one of the same size made for the blower end of the shaft, so I would be able to go back to 3 lbs for whatever reason.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
Those numbers are on 6psi?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ron you ever gunna sell that thing my roomate wants it n thanks for the post you should also post it in the cl video thread
Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Those numbers are on 6psi?
Yeah, but 6 psi on the shaft pulley, not the alternator pulley if that makes a difference.

Originally Posted by cleptosis
ron you ever gunna sell that thing my roomate wants it n thanks for the post you should also post it in the cl video thread
Sell the car? I doubt it, it's worth more to me than KBB value or any new car out right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
09 Accord Coupe 6 Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are impressive numbers. On a side note, strap or no strap, I would NOT be standing around IN FRONT of any car with my hands in my pocket looking clueless while it's being revved to 100 + mph!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05 NHB
Those are impressive numbers. On a side note, strap or no strap, I would NOT be standing around IN FRONT of any car with my hands in my pocket looking clueless while it's being revved to 100 + mph!
I know, but after 10 dyno runs a day, all year round, you kinda get used to it, lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice numbers, love that whine. Is your imrc disconnected?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
nice numbers

we need to get some radius rod bushings made. see how much the wheel walks towards the end of the vid.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CL-Future
Nice numbers, love that whine. Is your imrc disconnected?
Thanks. For sure it's disconnected.

Originally Posted by Rajca
nice numbers

we need to get some radius rod bushings made. see how much the wheel walks towards the end of the vid.
Yeah, they strapped that shit down real hard, I thought something was wrong, but they told me before the run, don't worry about the strapping or the wheel movement.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Did you replace the leather on the colored parts of the wheel or is that some kind of paint/coating?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Did you replace the leather on the colored parts of the wheel or is that some kind of paint/coating?
Actually, its a custom wrapped steering wheel with hard material painted SSM on top and bottom. No more preforated leather, just straight ebony.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Just for reference, do you have a full exhaust as well? Too bad you couldn't tune to get the imrc working.....that's probably quite a bit of hp right there.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Just for reference, do you have a full exhaust as well? Too bad you couldn't tune to get the imrc working.....that's probably quite a bit of hp right there.
No exhasut, just a high flow cat (which sounds a little raspy, wish I could go back) and OEM exhasut. Not feeling like trying to squeeze out any more hp at this point, car feels plenty strong. And the IMRC shouldn't be connected with 6 lbs of boost, thats what all the members superchargers and my mechanic say. In order to achieve a decent mixture of A/F on the wideband gauge.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Lives in Boost

Originally Posted by rondog
No exhasut, just a high flow cat (which sounds a little raspy, wish I could go back) and OEM exhasut. Not feeling like trying to squeeze out any more hp at this point, car feels plenty strong. And the IMRC shouldn't be connected with 6 lbs of boost, thats what all the members superchargers and my mechanic say. In order to achieve a decent mixture of A/F on the wideband gauge.
Trust me, you'll get the itch for more power soon lol. Either way I'm glad you were able to get the FIC working properly. Did you have any issues with the crank sensor or getting it to rev past 3000rpms initially?

I want to do so much more to my car but aren't sure if I want to dump anymore money in it.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice pull!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Trust me, you'll get the itch for more power soon lol. Either way I'm glad you were able to get the FIC working properly. Did you have any issues with the crank sensor or getting it to rev past 3000rpms initially?

I want to do so much more to my car but aren't sure if I want to dump anymore money in it.

Actually I didn't get the FIC working, so I just took it out and it's for sale $320 takes it.

No issues since. I won't get the itch, any more power is useless, the car can't hook up and things will start to break if I add any more power. I had the itch and got to where I am now.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Getting the IMRC to work with isnt going to be worth the headache that retuning would require.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Lives in Boost

Getting the IMRC to work with isnt going to be worth the headache that retuning would require.
Depends on if that 20hp on the table is worth going after
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Can we be sure that its 20hp on boost? I havent seen anyone get the IMRC working with a good tune and a supercharger.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Lives in Boost

I would say so https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=IMRC . Not to mention those who aren't boosted even feel a power loss when their IMRC isn't working properly (broken teeth, bad fuse etc)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Looking at whats being said in that thread, it seems that if you run the standard boost pulley, you can leave the IMRC connected:

Originally Posted by hemhaw
Supercharged....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...uly6dyno-1.jpg

The difference between the 2 traces = reconnecting the IMRC and a half turn on the FPR. The IMRC made the biggest difference. I had disconnected it on other's advice, but apparently that was a bad idea!

Note the AFR trace, with the characteristic dip at vtec. The rest of the trace is so close to 12, that I wasn't going to mess with this.

I could probably eek out a few more ponies, but I'm very pleased with these numbers, given that it is low boost and no fiddlin' around.

This is SC/I/H/manifold spacer...
But if you go with the HBP, you should disconnect it.

Originally Posted by mrsteve
The opening of the IMRC adds a significant amount of air into the intake. With the supercharger many of us were experiencing "ping" right around 5,000rpm where the motor starts to run lean. When it runs lean and begins to knock the ECU starts to kill timing. So any potential gains due to the increased air with the IMRC connected is negated by the ECU interfering by playing with timing.

Disconnecting the IMRC limits the amount of air entering the intake but the AFR stays flat (for the most part) and there's no interference by the ECU playing with timing due to knock. Eliminating the knock also saves the motor.
Originally Posted by mrsteve
There really are no benefits of leaving the IMRC connected once you are boosted.

The "resonance" effect created by the dual stage intake manifold is relying on vacuum. Once we introduce positive atmospheric pressure into the manifold the resonance effect is greatly reduced or eliminated all together.

It's based on the Helmholtz resonance theory. Although back in 1860 I don't think he knew it would be applied to a Honda J32A2.
And I think this shows alot:

Down low, without the IMRC it makes more power, and up top its only slightly lower.

What isnt said, unless I missed it, is whether or not he kept the butterflies closed or if he left them open.

Another thing that leaves me with another question is this:

Originally Posted by ThinJim
You guys are confusing the topic and IMO believe inadvertantly giving wrong information. Steve, you mention 5000 rpm, thats vtec changeover, the IMRC happens at 3800rpm. I know you know this, but I got a little confused by some of the posts. ALthough there is a quick lean spot at 3800rpm while under boost, it's not prevalent all the time. I experimented with various boost levels and at 4.5 lbs does not create enough of a significant lean to cause det, at the higher levels, yes, one quick bang of det but not severe, but added up over time could cause a failure. I'd think the guys with the stock pulley on the SC will not have a problem, don't forget, I also had the SC and ran it with the stock pulley. the guys with the high boost pulley's only alternative without emanage is to up the fuel pressure, but then your fat all across the rpm range.

Yes, the computer does compensate with vtec changover and probabley IMRC engagement as well. However, the adjustment to the IMRC seems to be enough for up to 4.5 -5psi. The puter was mapped for atmosphere engagement of the IMRCand theres always a little fudgefactor.

As for the IMRC not making a difference, I beg to differ. At 6psi I saw roughly 20hp difference between being open and closed. It causes a ramming effect and if it's not open, you lose that ram effect.

If you want to monitor knock, go here http://www.linkecu.com/products/Anci...ices/KnockLink
simple to install and is better than listening for it, the motor wot gets loud
Does he mean the IMRC is connected and fully operational or is it disconnected and the butterflies are stuck closed/open?

Thinjim went on to say in another post that the motor does detonate alot.

That thread just leaves me with more questions regarding the tuning and setup that they were running. But ultimately, if you trust your tuner enough to properly tune the car with the IMRC and HBP, then go for it. Just post up results so we can see a before and after and see if its worth the trouble.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Lives in Boost

haha, not sure the point of all the other quotes. Bottom line is there's 20hp on the table proven by before and after dyno's. But it's all up to the driver on whether the additional tuning is worth it to them. I know it will be to me when/if I decide on the FIC vs the EMS
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor

the problem is tuning, who can successfully crack the j32 ecu, I don't know of anybody who has done it problem free and has proof of it. The j32 ecu re-tunes anything you try to use top override it.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 PM

haha, not sure the point of all the other quotes. Bottom line is there's 20hp on the table proven by before and after dyno's. But it's all up to the driver on whether the additional tuning is worth it to them. I know it will be to me when/if I decide on the FIC vs the EMS
The reason for that was because there were alot of questions regarding the claims one way or the other.

Mr Steve said on the HBP, keep it disconnected. Thinjim said you can connect it, just up the fuel.

Look at the dyno graph. Run 4 (blue) was with the IMRC disconnected. Run 3 was with it connected. I dont see a 20hp difference. At most, I see a 10hp/5tq difference around 5000rpm. Hell, look at the dip right when the IMRC opens.

As I said in the other post:

But ultimately, if you trust your tuner enough to properly tune the car with the IMRC and HBP, then go for it. Just post up results so we can see a before and after and see if its worth the trouble.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll tell you, when I drove home from queens after that 300 hp dyno pull and the tune, there was not a car that could hang with me short of a ferarri, I mean, I wasn't used to the speed and the brakes were working overtime to slow me down. had to literally predict when to use the brakes to slow down without warping the rotors. There's a pretty noticeable difference between 286 and 300 to the wheels, thats like what, $360 to the crank? But I don't believe it's worth the potential problems and peace of mind.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll tell you, when I drove home from queens after that 300 hp dyno pull and the tune, there was not a car that could hang with me short of a ferarri, I mean, I wasn't used to the speed and the brakes were working overtime to slow me down. had to literally predict when to use the brakes to slow down without warping the rotors. There's a pretty noticeable difference between 286 and 300 to the wheels, thats like what, $360 to the crank? But I don't believe it's worth the potential problems and peace of mind.
Sure as fuck wasn't. That led to my first CLs engine blowing up. Though I'm certain at what I was trapping I would have been pushing over 300whp, but I may have had a few more mods then you.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I have been wondering about the IMRC also. I bought my ported IM and runners from the p2r race accord and the IMRC connection hole is welded closed and the air assist valves on the runners are welded.

I was told that "I don't want the butterfly. I will lose hp with it. It only works on stock car. Once you start modifying the engine and changing the air flow patterns you no longer need to worry about the butterflies. All it does is provide less airflow for partial throttle at low rpm's. It isn't meant to be a wide open throttle restrictor".

I asked about losing torque at low rpm and was told "only torque you will lose is below 2500 rpm at very low throttle. Not enough to notice".

Not sure yet what to do about it.
I was also wondering if tuning is pretty much required if I leave it with no IMRC. Can't afford ems and swapping auto engine harness right now.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM

I dont think removing the IMRC would throw a code, but you could always toss a resistor on or just leave the motor in place and remove the cable.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
it wont throw a code. i forgot to reconnect mine and it didnt throw a code. but felt slower. so i was like wtf is wrong with the car. then i found out i forgot to connect the imrc
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rajca
it wont throw a code. i forgot to reconnect mine and it didnt throw a code. but felt slower. so i was like wtf is wrong with the car. then i found out i forgot to connect the imrc
The reason it felt much slower is because the butterflies were closed when you got to the higher RPMs. Im curious if youd actually feel a difference if you left them open.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Lives in Boost

The reason for that was because there were alot of questions regarding the claims one way or the other.

Mr Steve said on the HBP, keep it disconnected. Thinjim said you can connect it, just up the fuel.

Look at the dyno graph. Run 4 (blue) was with the IMRC disconnected. Run 3 was with it connected. I dont see a 20hp difference. At most, I see a 10hp/5tq difference around 5000rpm. Hell, look at the dip right when the IMRC opens.

As I said in the other post:
Meh, allout posted a dyno of 319whp with the IMRC connected and that was on 91 octane, so I dont see what the debate is. I think it's pretty obvious there's a 20hp difference seeing as though I'm around 300 and ronjon just hit 300 and neither of us have the IMRC connected.

I think the only thing debatable is the extra tuning involved. For me, 20hp would be worth it, but as ron said the car is enough for him as is. When I get tuned I think i'll try to squeeze the extra 20 out
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Meh, allout posted a dyno of 319whp with the IMRC connected and that was on 91 octane, so I dont see what the debate is. I think it's pretty obvious there's a 20hp difference seeing as though I'm around 300 and ronjon just hit 300 and neither of us have the IMRC connected.

I think the only thing debatable is the extra tuning involved. For me, 20hp would be worth it, but as ron said the car is enough for him as is. When I get tuned I think i'll try to squeeze the extra 20 out
I didnt see that graph, do you have a link? Is there a before/after or just the one run at 319whp?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Lives in Boost

The reason it felt much slower is because the butterflies were closed when you got to the higher RPMs. Im curious if youd actually feel a difference if you left them open.
I'm actually considering doing this to ease the headache of tuning. I'm not sure if I'd get the benefits of how the IMRC actually achieves its gains though and I think there'd be some low end power loss but since the power has already been bumped due to the FI I dont think it'll be a huge negative.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Lives in Boost

I didnt see that graph, do you have a link? Is there a before/after or just the one run at 319whp?
Looks like just one at 319 https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-dynograph-gallery-51/hbp-emanage-489188/
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM

I'm actually considering doing this to ease the headache of tuning. I'm not sure if I'd get the benefits of how the IMRC actually achieves its gains though and I think there'd be some low end power loss but since the power has already been bumped due to the FI I dont think it'll be a huge negative.
Well, if you do end up tuning with the IMRC functioning, please post a before and after graph. Im curious to see how big a difference it makes through the whole RPM range. Youre tuning on the emanage, right?

Thanks for the link too.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Lives in Boost

I hear you. When I was first boosted my car pulled so hard it almost scared me. I'm sure Civic can relate since he's putting down similar numbers. But I think I've gotten used to the power. I can't argue with you about the peace of mind though, you dont want to mess with a good thing. The only thing about tuning with the FPR (turning up the fuel psi) is that you're running much richer. I can smell fuel sometimes when I first start up my car. I'd like to get better gas mileage and more power though the next time I take her in.

Quick Reply: RonJon CL-S 6 speed, 286hp to the wheels!