03 CL-S 6Speed P2R Intake, TB Spacers VS Stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
03 CL-S 6Speed P2R Intake, TB Spacers VS Stock

Green #s are the baseline run. Car has xs headers, and random tech cat. Best of 3.
Red #'s are after installing the throttle body spacer and gasket. Best of 3
Blue #'s are after installing 4 inch intake. Best of 3

Variables for this test include: Dynojet dyno. Temperature was 90 degrees and humid! Car was driven 1 hour to get to dyno. First pull 15 min later engine was HOT. 5 min cool down between pulls, with engine off. Numbers were VERY consistent, + - 1-2 hp at the most between pulls.

On the ride home the car felt much stronger on the highway. The gains were felt on the top end of each gear in vtec. Accelerating past 80 was much quicker. But the biggest difference is how the motor no longer drops out of vtec while switching gears in 1st 2nd 3rd wot runs. Overall car feels quick! First gear has lost more traction now . Parts look good and sound good. Not much change in noise. Highway cruising was still quiet, well until you punch it then it screams.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice results 6 speeds FTW

Anyways, if you did the mods all from scratch again, what order would you buy them in? All you need now is an aftermarket underdrive pulley...that should help quite a bit with your bolt ons.

Another quick question...if I get the XS headers do I need to get a new cat? I know I would replace the cheap ass bolts and get the oem gaskets, but...
Old 06-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
No SAE numbers?

From that I gather just the intake gets a 8HP/7TQ gain. That is on par with an Icebox & Aem/Injen CAI. Add the spacer & it's not much of a difference in power.
It's another option, but it's not superior to anything that out there.

Get the crank pulley & you'll see about 250 to the wheels, That's what I dyno.

Thanks for doing the dyno runs!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Great Numbers!

I think alot of people have been wanting the numbers from just installing the intake without the spacers though. The idea is to compare the performance of the P2R intake vs. AEM, Comptech, etc.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So we can see that the throttle body spacer adds 2.1 whp right?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Quarantuning

It was going to be a hassle to try and install just the intake alone. It wouldn't fit right. Trust me I went there with that in mind. Plus it would have taken more time and money. About the SAE numbers thought they were on the graph? Ohh well whats their purpose again? I think your right fuzzy about the performance #'s, but I think in different climate, with a cooler motor we could see more gains from these parts.
I was thinking about doing the stock size crank pulley next? I dont want an underdrive, I use my AC all the time and I'm slowly building a stereo system. Plus I dont care what anyone says underdrive pulleys can fuck with the bottom end over a long period of time. It also leaves the door open if I ever want to get a blower. So do you think I can hit 250 with the ss pulley? Also am I ready for a tune? Its gonna cost $250-300 to get it tuned they said over there, is that a good price? They had a Apexi Neo brand new that somebody bought and never used, they'd sell it to me for $300 if I got it tuned there. He did recommend I get the harness.

02CL-Type-S:If I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Biggest increase in power was felt from the exhaust mods for sure. I tell everyone that getting a new cat makes the header install so much easier. You dont have to worry about the dreaded header to cat bolts. I took it down all in one piece had a friend to help and it took us 1.5 hours start to finish.
CivicB18b1: Did you notice how much the torque increased with the spacer? On one pull it made almost 5 more!

I forgot to mention that while doing the test we noticed how much play my drivers side motor mount has. Should I try the engine dampners first? Or go straight for that innovative mount kit? Damn Mod bug has bit me in the ass.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Instructor

SlickShift Thanks for getting the dyno done. I already placed an order for the Intake and Spacer package with Excelerate. He said they should be shipping out within a couple weeks. Part of me was still a little skeptical. I'm feeling much better about the purchase.

I'm running a full exhaust setup; Headers, cat, cat-back. and underdrive pulleys, So with the results you got, I'm really excited to throw these on.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Quarantuning

Originally Posted by Nightpoison
SlickShift Thanks for getting the dyno done. I already placed an order for the Intake and Spacer package with Excelerate. He said they should be shipping out within a couple weeks. Part of me was still a little skeptical. I'm feeling much better about the purchase.

I'm running a full exhaust setup; Headers, cat, cat-back. and underdrive pulleys, So with the results you got, I'm really excited to throw these on.
Cool This is why I did it, to help out you fellow aziners. I have gotten so much info from this site, I really wanted to contribute. I could have popped those parts on from day one but I wanted to wait and do this test.

I really recommend these mods P2R is a great brand. We should support them. Sean from P2R was really cool and wanted me to be happy- bottom line. I got a chance to meet them and check out their cars when I went on vaca in FL. Happened to go to the races that weekend and thats how all this started.

By the way even though there isnt a huge market for these motors they will be producing lots more parts for us. I spoke to Sean recently and its gonna be a while till we see new stuff from them cause their k series stuff is in high demand. But we will see more go-fast parts for sure he said. Plus I get to be his guinea pig now.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing your dyno graph.
Now we need to get that car over 250 HP
Let me know when your ready
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerRev
I'm ready

lol
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
It was going to be a hassle to try and install just the intake alone. It wouldn't fit right. Trust me I went there with that in mind. Plus it would have taken more time and money. About the SAE numbers thought they were on the graph? Ohh well whats their purpose again? I think your right fuzzy about the performance #'s, but I think in different climate, with a cooler motor we could see more gains from these parts.
I was thinking about doing the stock size crank pulley next? I dont want an underdrive, I use my AC all the time and I'm slowly building a stereo system. Plus I dont care what anyone says underdrive pulleys can fuck with the bottom end over a long period of time. It also leaves the door open if I ever want to get a blower. So do you think I can hit 250 with the ss pulley? Also am I ready for a tune? Its gonna cost $250-300 to get it tuned they said over there, is that a good price? They had a Apexi Neo brand new that somebody bought and never used, they'd sell it to me for $300 if I got it tuned there. He did recommend I get the harness.

02CL-Type-S:If I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Biggest increase in power was felt from the exhaust mods for sure. I tell everyone that getting a new cat makes the header install so much easier. You dont have to worry about the dreaded header to cat bolts. I took it down all in one piece had a friend to help and it took us 1.5 hours start to finish.
CivicB18b1: Did you notice how much the torque increased with the spacer? On one pull it made almost 5 more!

I forgot to mention that while doing the test we noticed how much play my drivers side motor mount has. Should I try the engine dampners first? Or go straight for that innovative mount kit? Damn Mod bug has bit me in the ass.
I thought u can install the p2r spacers with aem CAI or INJEN or is it NOT possible ???
Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
140,000 miles young

It's possible but you have to shorten the intake where it goes into the throttle body.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
03 TL-S

Not sure if the CL has the same engine set-up as the TL, I'm assuming it does, but when I installed my P2R TB spacer there was no need to modify the CAI at all. I just replaced the vibramount with a shortened bolt, therefore making-up for the added length due to the TB spacer. Its works fine.

ps. I have an Injen
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks, i had a AEM
Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Quarantuning

Originally Posted by PowerRev
Thanks for sharing your dyno graph.
Now we need to get that car over 250 HP
I'm so ready right now! Just gotta get my $ up.

Dyno guru's please chime in.

How do my #'s look?
Am I ready for a tune?
Apexi Neo for $300 a good deal?
Is $250-300 too much for a tune?
Crank pulley next?
Plenums next? Well i'll do probably both.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The price seems about right for the Apexi Neo, mine was cheaper at the time, like $269.99-289.99, but that same site now has it at $306.

A couple of the places around here do dyno tunes for about $150-$200.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
I'm so ready right now! Just gotta get my $ up.

Dyno guru's please chime in.

How do my #'s look?
Am I ready for a tune?
Apexi Neo for $300 a good deal?
Is $250-300 too much for a tune?
Crank pulley next?
Plenums next? Well i'll do probably both.
I mean every area is different but I only paid $100 do tune my car but the normal price was $150 but since I promissed to bring my car back for future tuning along with other customers he hooked me up. I say $250-$300 is too much because the shop maxed tuned the car with the Neo in like 5 runs in under an hour. So if all you would be tuning with is the Neo I wouldnt pay that much for just A/F tuning but then again like I said every area is different so you may not have a choice.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Quarantuning

Thanks for the info, Sinister/ TCM. Just picked up some NRG dampers in the BM should help with the wheel hop. I decided that next up for me is the stock size crank pulley, I should jump on it now because UR stopped making them and excelerate will only have so many. Car runs great, so much more fun now!!!
BTW i have seen a slight increase in MPG too. When taking it easy of course
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
this gets me motivated, because the temps are the same as here, and im assuming he had headers and exhaust as well to pull off almost 250whp..
i gotta go soon...but after my exhaust is fixed and 4" intake is done