Various Suspension Setup Info and Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Luke 1:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various Suspension Setup Info and Pics

I did a search to try to find a main thread that would provide me information on different suspension setups and how they looked on people's TSXs, but the search didn't come up with anything. I believe that this would be a very helpful thread for people who are looking into doing some suspension modifications. Maybe this could be a thread that is kept at the top of the Tires, Wheels, & Suspension Forum. Here's what I think should be in each post if possible:

1. Your suspension Setup (springs, struts, coilovers, camber kit, etc...)
2. Your comments on how the setup works for you
3. How much you purchased it for and where
4. Pictures of the setup on your car (PLEASE TRY TO POST PICS)

If you can think of anything else, let me know and I'll revise this post.

btw. the reason for doing this is that I'm looking into purchasing a TSX in the spring of 2005 and I would like to purchase a nice setup before the car comes in so that I can install it right away.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Hondaholic

This thread is a good idea; I'm forever responding to threads about the A-Spec setup. This way, people can just refer to this thread.

I purchased the A-Spec suspension from Scott at Acura of Escondido. I found him through eBay; his user id is AofEParts. He was great to deal with, and he lists the suspension routinely for $590-600 plus shipping.

I paid $300 to have the dealer install it, and later I got an alignment. They were able to adjust the rear suspension carriage so that my rear camber is at -1.7 on both sides, which is just outside of the factory spec of -1.5. It's not enough off where I feel the need for a camber kit, but I'm watching the rear tire wear.

The TSX handles well from the factory, but in my opinion suffers from an excessive amount of roll in the corners as well as brake dive. I wanted a setup that would eliminate some of that without creating undue harshness, and the A-Spec setup has given that to me. The car feels quite a bit tighter now, but is still extremely comfortable to drive.

The A-Spec is not meant to be a track setup like coilovers; nor will it give the street-racer slammed look. It did come down over a 1", but my car seemed excessively high to begin with.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by virtualbong

If you can think of anything else, let me know and I'll revise this post.
1. Eibach Pro Kit, CompTech rear sway, Neuspeed front strut (no longer have)
2. Love it, rear sway is awesome, front strut makes steering feel better but its not crucial. Springs, I love the look, reduces roll, but the bounciness gets tiring after having them for a while.
3. Springs $150, Strut, $90, rear sway $100. DIY = priceless

Before:

After:
Old 12-10-2004, 06:29 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
1. TEIN TypeFLEX coilovers (lowered about 2"), stock sway bars, no camber kit (in case anyone wants to know, the rims are Volk GT-7 19x8 +40mm offset, tires are Falken GR-Beta FK-451 235/35/19)
2. I like to have the "touring car" look (big wheels, low stance), and the FLEX allows me to have it. With the kind of drop I have, I expect the ride to be bumpy, but it is NOT. Mainly because I can adjust the height without changing the stroke length, therefore the ride is still very comfortable (stiff but still comfortable). On the handling side, it improves dramatically but the car still understeers (maybe time for a larger rear sway bar).
3. TEIN - $1,250; Volk and tires - $3,000; DIY - priceless
4. (I need new pictures)

Old 04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is great guys. I wish more people would use it!

vwong---love that car brotha! I got the same color and want the same rims......but I don't wanna bite!.....but it looks too good not to! What state are you in? If it aint WA I may get the same rims. Oh yeah---put them new pics on your site.

virtualbong-you should have people add their wheels specs and make sure to include the offsets.

I hope more people post here. I will once I modify
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CJams
This thread is great guys. I wish more people would use it!

vwong---love that car brotha! I got the same color and want the same rims......but I don't wanna bite!.....but it looks too good not to! What state are you in? If it aint WA I may get the same rims. Oh yeah---put them new pics on your site.

virtualbong-you should have people add their wheels specs and make sure to include the offsets.

I hope more people post here. I will once I modify
I'm also wondering why people don't post here. I just installed my Neuspeed Koni Yellows and Neuspeed Sports this past weekend, so I'll have pics up soon of this setup.

Maybe the mods can make this a sticky, but since there's really no interest they may not...though it would be a great resource.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by xizor
1. Eibach Pro Kit, CompTech rear sway, Neuspeed front strut (no longer have)
2. Love it, rear sway is awesome, front strut makes steering feel better but its not crucial. Springs, I love the look, reduces roll, but the bounciness gets tiring after having them for a while.
3. Springs $150, Strut, $90, rear sway $100. DIY = priceless
links broken

Before:

After:
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

1. Tein SS, Ingalls Camber Kit
2. Absolutely love the low drop, looks incredible, rides very well. much better than springs w/ oem shocks.
3. ~$900 from MrHeelToe

OEM:

After:
Old 04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Automobile Aficionado

very good thread idea

*sticky*
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Got Milk???

1. Eibach Prokit springs on stock shocks w/ SPC rear camber kit installed.
2. This setup in terms of height is perfert for daily driving, no kissing any bumps or scratches. Ride is nearly stock, slightly bouncy when going at high speed over bumps.
3. Purchased the Eibach Prokit $160 and SPC camber kit $105 from forum members.
4. My car is the one on the right side, the SSM to the left is Vwong's car. This will give you a good comparison and perspective to the degree of lowering.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ingalls or SPC camber kit?

Which is better?
Advantages/Disadvantages
Old 04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
Ingalls or SPC camber kit?

Which is better?
Advantages/Disadvantages

Ingalls are easier to install (bolt-on) and can adjust both camber and toe, but downside is, ingalls are skinnier than SPC. It replaces the lower arms.

SPC are beefier but needs special tools (pickle fork tools) to remove the stock upper arm ball joint when u do installation, which I found wasnt that difficult at all. Just need some nerve to really slam on the pickle fork to disengage the oem upper arm.

-K
Old 04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Teh seX

1. Buddy Club Racing Spec Coilovers.. no camber kit yet
2. I love these coilovers, ride is not harsh at all on softest setting.. but once you stiffen the ride it gets bumpy but i love it
3. 1300 or so from street image in baldwin park california.

I'm not sure how many inches i dropped it.. but ill eventually need to raise it once i get rims and oem kit..

front corner shot:

Name:  DSC04407.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  127.3 KB

rear camber shot:

Name:  DSC04415.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  72.6 KB

rear corner shot:

Name:  DSC04420.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  101.4 KB
Old 04-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BlackTSXer.........looks real nice my friend! You better get that camber kit put on before you get those expensive rims and tires put on! You can see the negativity in the pics. But it looks good non-the less!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Professional Newbie

1. Tein SS, Ingalls Camber Kit
2. Absolutely love the low drop, looks incredible, rides very well. much better than springs w/ oem shocks.
3. ~$900 from MrHeelToe
I am doing suspension in a couple months and had thought to do Pro-Kit with Konis....do you think your ride is closer to stock than that?

i am looking for a drop, but want the most comfortable one
Old 04-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by BlackTSXer
2. I love these coilovers, ride is not harsh at all on softest setting.. but once you stiffen the ride it gets bumpy but i love it

I'm not sure how many inches i dropped it.. but ill eventually need to raise it once i get rims and oem kit..

front corner shot:

rear camber shot:

rear corner shot:

Holy negative camber, you're on a race against Vwong with that camber Personally I dont think you'd need to raise the car after getting the body kit and new shoes, they look awesome

edit: what is the camber in the front after drop, looks like around -1.0, not very bad at all. that looks like a 2" drop to me

-K
Old 04-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I am doing suspension in a couple months and had thought to do Pro-Kit with Konis....do you think your ride is closer to stock than that?

I didn't have Koni's so I couldn't compare. I think the SS is a better deal IMO b/c of the adjustable height. The spring rates are linear and stiffer, so there might be more comfortable ones out there like the Tanabe's
Old 04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Instructor

No need for aftermarket wheels, no one will look at them 'cause they'll be looking at that purdy shine you've got going. NICE!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Got Milk???

I didn't have Koni's so I couldn't compare. I think the SS is a better deal IMO b/c of the adjustable height. The spring rates are linear and stiffer, so there might be more comfortable ones out there like the Tanabe's
Tein SS springs are "linear"? Is it because of the adjustable height feature, that's why they cannot use "progressive" springs? Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea, but I thought most aftermarket springs are progressive and they give better performance?

-K
Old 04-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by kaikai114
Tein SS springs are "linear"? Is it because of the adjustable height feature, that's why they cannot use "progressive" springs? Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea, but I thought most aftermarket springs are progressive and they give better performance?

-K
correct progressive spring would not make sense for a coilover b/c of the adjustability. most "springs" are progressive, like the eibach pro kit I had before. they're not better for performance, I imagine nearly all race cars use linear springs. they are however better for comfort as the spring rate can be very different through a progressive spring, but is always the safe for a linear one.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Got Milk???

correct progressive spring would not make sense for a coilover b/c of the adjustability. most "springs" are progressive, like the eibach pro kit I had before. they're not better for performance, I imagine nearly all race cars use linear springs. they are however better for comfort as the spring rate can be very different through a progressive spring, but is always the safe for a linear one.
Linear springs, don't they sag with additional weight on it? How do coilovers prevent itself from dropping lower with additional weight? With progressive springs stopping to compress after a certain degree, what is the advantage and disadvantage compared with Linear springs like in most coilovers?

-K
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
TSX LOVER

Can anyone post pic of TSX with comptech spring (the one that lowers F1.6 R1.4)? thx
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Linear springs, don't they sag with additional weight on it? How do coilovers prevent itself from dropping lower with additional weight? With progressive springs stopping to compress after a certain degree, what is the advantage and disadvantage compared with Linear springs like in most coilovers?

-K
All springs - linear or progressive sag with additional weight. Even if the softer portion of the progressive rate spring completely compresses w/ the vehicles base weight, if you add driver and passengers into the car, the vehicle continues to sag lower b/c the stiffer portion of the progressive rate spring will continue to compress w/ added weight just like on a linear rate spring.

The main advantage for progressive rate springs is improved ride quality over small bumps. Due to the initial softer spring rate, the ride feels softer. As the softer coils become fully compressed, the stiffer coils take over which increases roll stiffness. Therefore, a progressive rate spring will lean a bit more on initial turn in, but will firm up after the initial soft portion.

I used to like progressive rate springs. Now, after driving for years on linear rate Eibach race springs, I like stiff linear rate springs better. They're really not all that much stiffer and they offer a more consistent feel. I also don't like the initial softness on turn-in that happens w/ progressive springs. Linear rate springs have a more direct response to on turn-in.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dondon
Can anyone post pic of TSX with comptech spring (the one that lowers F1.6 R1.4)? thx
Just check out xizor's Pro-kit drop. Those Comptech 110-160 springs you are referring to are made by Eibach and provide the exact same amt of lowering as Eibach's Pro-kit springs.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:46 PM
TSX LOVER

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Just check out xizor's Pro-kit drop. Those Comptech 110-160 springs you are referring to are made by Eibach and provide the exact same amt of lowering as Eibach's Pro-kit springs.
so the height, the ride quality, everything is same as pro kit?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would post my Tein setup, but the ride height looks exactly the same as my Neuspeed and Eibach setup.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM

If you want stock comfort, the Neuspeed Sport Springs matched with Neuspeed Konis are DAMN CLOSE! I put it on this past weekend and it seriously feels awesome. I purposely went through slight bumps on the road and it doesn't sound or feel harsh whatosever. The drop is amazing too! Neuspeed has them at 1.5" Front and 1" Rear but the front is definitely more than 1.5". With the shocks at stock height, there is only a finger gap now. And the rear with the shocks set at one ring down, its a 1.5 wheel gap now. So it looks absolutely amazing. I'll be taking pics tomorrow and posting tomorrow night for everyone to see.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Professional Newbie

awesome virtualbong, you understand how the roads around here can be so its nice to hear a first hand account. I'm just in an interesting situation because I am really not that interested in getting suspension for performance reasons...I just need to get rid of that awful wheel gap!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dondon
so the height, the ride quality, everything is same as pro kit?
Yup.

Granted, no one has put a TSX w/ Pro-kit springs next to a TSX w/ Comptech 110-160s for comparison, but we have confirmation from Comptech that the springs are mfg by Eibach. Comptech also had those springs rated at a different height, but they had to adjust their specs when people were finding that their cars were being lowered more than advertised. So, guess what they changed the specs to? You already know: 1.6" F and 1.4" R which exactly match the specs for Eibach's Pro-kit.

I think it is very safe to assume that these springs are identical in lowering, performance, and ride quality.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTso
I would post my Tein setup, but the ride height looks exactly the same as my Neuspeed and Eibach setup.
Aww c'mon Johnny. Let's see some new pics. I'm also interested in your overall impressions (ride, handling, clearance or bottoming issues, etc.).
Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 PM

awesome virtualbong, you understand how the roads around here can be so its nice to hear a first hand account. I'm just in an interesting situation because I am really not that interested in getting suspension for performance reasons...I just need to get rid of that awful wheel gap!
Maybe you can just get springs for now and lower your car. It would make your Inspyres look MUCH nicer. I'll even lend a hand if you need it.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

madmanmax3000 = Boston, MA
virtualbong = Boston, MA

Hmmmnnnn... I think you should see if Virtual will give you a ride to see how you like the set up.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well since I'm getting the same shock/spring/camber stuff as him within the next few weeks, he'd better let me come check out his ride.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by rmpage
Well since I'm getting the same shock/spring/camber stuff as him within the next few weeks, he'd better let me come check out his ride.
We've got the Mass Meet coming up in a few weeks, but if you wanted to get together to do a little photo shoot, I'd be up for that as well.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
No need for aftermarket wheels, no one will look at them 'cause they'll be looking at that purdy shine you've got going. NICE!!!

Thanks! but lately winds in so cal have been making my car look way toooo dusty.. a minute or two after i wash my car dust is all over it, even while im wiping it down with the absorber ..

and yes i just might be in a race with vwong for that neg camber title.. haha .. but i love the stance.. i already have the rear camber kit but have been riding neg camber for months now and i sorta like it. wear has not been bad at all on the rear tires. i have 17000 miles and i havent even rotated my tires yet.. will this week though..
Old 04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Got Milk???

All springs - linear or progressive sag with additional weight. Even if the softer portion of the progressive rate spring completely compresses w/ the vehicles base weight, if you add driver and passengers into the car, the vehicle continues to sag lower b/c the stiffer portion of the progressive rate spring will continue to compress w/ added weight just like on a linear rate spring.

The main advantage for progressive rate springs is improved ride quality over small bumps. Due to the initial softer spring rate, the ride feels softer. As the softer coils become fully compressed, the stiffer coils take over which increases roll stiffness. Therefore, a progressive rate spring will lean a bit more on initial turn in, but will firm up after the initial soft portion.

I used to like progressive rate springs. Now, after driving for years on linear rate Eibach race springs, I like stiff linear rate springs better. They're really not all that much stiffer and they offer a more consistent feel. I also don't like the initial softness on turn-in that happens w/ progressive springs. Linear rate springs have a more direct response to on turn-in.
I get it now, thanks for that info Alterzgo edit: I forgot to ask, is Eibach Sportsline linear or progressive?

Dondon, scroll up and you'll find plenty of cars lowered on Eibach Prokit dropping 1.6"F & 1.4"R identical to the new Comptech Springs.

-K
Old 04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Got Milk???

Thanks! but lately winds in so cal have been making my car look way toooo dusty.. a minute or two after i wash my car dust is all over it, even while im wiping it down with the absorber ..

and yes i just might be in a race with vwong for that neg camber title.. haha .. but i love the stance.. i already have the rear camber kit but have been riding neg camber for months now and i sorta like it. wear has not been bad at all on the rear tires. i have 17000 miles and i havent even rotated my tires yet.. will this week though..

Where in Socal are you from? Last time I saw a Black tsx flying by on the 57 freeway southbound, and it looked friggin wicked with approx 2" drop stock tsx wheels. And also in Arcadia @ this Gym Club next to a 76 gas station, same black tsx w/ stock wheels with similar drop, not sure if it's the same car though

-K
Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I get it now, thanks for that info Alterzgo edit: I forgot to ask, is Eibach Sportsline linear or progressive?

-K
No problem.

Sportlines are progressive as well. However, per JTso, the spring rate of the sportlines are significantly heavier than the Pro-kits. This is necessary to keep a Sportline equipped car from bottoming out.

FWIW, if someone is interested in a good linear rate spring for the TSX, al8818 indicated that he liked H&R springs the best. However, he also cautioned that they have the highest spring rate so they give a firm ride.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Got Milk???

No problem.

Sportlines are progressive as well. However, per JTso, the spring rate of the sportlines are significantly heavier than the Pro-kits. This is necessary to keep a Sportline equipped car from bottoming out.

FWIW, if someone is interested in a good linear rate spring for the TSX, al8818 indicated that he liked H&R springs the best. However, he also cautioned that they have the highest spring rate so they give a firm ride.
How about Comptech Springs, how are they ranked in terms of spring rates? They have one of the longest springs for that amount of drop, why is that?

-K
Old 04-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Neuspeed Koni Yellow Shocks & Neuspeed Sport Springs

So far, they handle great on acceleration, stopping and handling.

About $800 for everything

Quick Reply: Various Suspension Setup Info and Pics