Civic Si vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Civic Si vs TSX

Me and a friend of mine just went to Honda/Acura Day at Englishtown Raceway Park and decided to run one another after the event. We went to the track to race but we got there late and couldnt register to race.. figures! We did a couple rolls from 2nd gear and 3rd.. He has an 09 Civic Si Sedan with just an injen intake while im running my 04 TSX with I/H/E/Kpro on a street tune.

Side note: If any one of you decide to do a roll with an Si, just make sure he's not in 2nd gear and in Vtec.. they pull pretty hard and will give you a run. Another thing thats weird is that when we both take off in 2nd we are pretty much even thru the gears but when i ran him from 3rd gear while he was in 2nd gear, he'll get the jump but i end up catching him by the end of 4th.

Here are the vids on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO41Fxbnd1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKCVMN_H8kY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wcC5Zc35MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSIo7_4LP8

Here we were both in 2nd gear at 3k rpms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH1OUEWHvtI
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Vids. Damn...The SI is quick and almost stock. Great bang for the buck. Mr. Stylez your TSX sounds pretty good. It makes me pine for a manual shift to go with my exhaust.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for those. Very inspiring. Wish I had a vid of me dogging my sister's fiance's brother in this old 944 turbo (53k miles)...I think I shattered his illusion that he had a fast car. He pulled away but barely and I had a passenger and my car is completely stock.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by TheManInBlack
Thanks for those. Very inspiring. Wish I had a vid of me dogging my sister's fiance's brother in this old 944 turbo (53k miles)...I think I shattered his illusion that he had a fast car. He pulled away but barely and I had a passenger and my car is completely stock.
Yea.. top end the TSX needs a better breathing but where it shines is down low. If i had an 06+ i'd probably pull alil harder up top. Out of vtec and the Si is a dog. So 2nd gear 40mph+ rolls near vtec with an Si will be a challange. 3rd gear rolls at 40 or 50mph and we'll walk them.. well should anyway. Plus they are lighter with more aggressive gearing.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Racer

Plus they are lighter with more aggressive gearing.
Good old power/weight ratio is the big problem with the TSX.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Modding newbie

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
Side note: If any one of you decide to do a roll with an Si, just make sure he's not in 2nd gear and in Vtec.. they pull pretty hard and will give you a run. Another thing thats weird is that when we both take off in 2nd we are pretty much even thru the gears but when i ran him from 3rd gear while he was in 2nd gear, he'll get the jump but i end up catching him by the end of 4th.
Last time I checked the end of 4th is about 110 MPH and you were on public roads. Not to mention the idiocy involved with street racing, which is exactly what you did, why would you drive that fast on a road clearly not designed for those speeds? Granted I don't always agree with the speed limit, but 100+ is unsafe on any public road, no matter who you are.

If you weren't going that fast, then you weren't at the end of 4th and shouldn't say you were.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Special-K

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Last time I checked the end of 4th is about 110 MPH and you were on public roads. Not to mention the idiocy involved with street racing, which is exactly what you did, why would you drive that fast on a road clearly not designed for those speeds? Granted I don't always agree with the speed limit, but 100+ is unsafe on any public road, no matter who you are.

If you weren't going that fast, then you weren't at the end of 4th and shouldn't say you were.
I understand your concern but did you actually watch the videos? I try not to race on public roads and only do when i know there are stretches of clear road and the reason why i tried taking it to "the track" (stated above). If you look at the background there are no driveways, traffic lights, stores, nor houses. In one of the vids there were a few stores that i didnt know was there (must've just built them), but it was late in the evening and they were closed. I know that area pretty well and those were the spots that are never congested. Sorry for hurting anyones feelings with my race vids. Kinda.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Modding newbie

I understand your concern but did you actually watch the videos? I try not to race on public roads and only do when i know there are stretches of clear road and the reason why i tried taking it to "the track" (stated above).
Yes I watched the videos. You may try to not race on public roads, but you falied miserably at it and even got a video of yourself failing so miserably at it, repeatedly. Really, you did a pretty good job of it despite your best efforts to not do it. You don't try to avoid something like that, you just avoid it or you don't. The simple fact that you're trying to defend street racing shows that you don't know how to handle a vehicle. Professional race car drivers know exactly how stupid street racing is, don't do it, and will be more than happy to tell you to not do it too. Really, ask one. Real life isn't the fast and the furious, 100% of those stunts were done on closed circuit tracks and none were done in vehicles any of us here could ever get a the garage.
Don't street race under any conditions. If you miss track day, then you missed it. Don't take the track to the street.

If you look at the background there are no driveways, traffic lights, stores, nor houses. In one of the vids there were a few stores that i didnt know was there (must've just built them), but it was late in the evening and they were closed. I know that area pretty well and those were the spots that are never congested.
I looked in the background. I noticed a few buildings that I guess were those few stores that you didn't know were there. Wait a second, you didn't know they were there? I thought you said you only street race when you know the road is clear. If you didn't know there was a store, you certainly didn't know if the road was clear or not. An evening store clerk going home after a long day of restocking the store and taking care of a dropped bag of flour is definitely not a clear road. That's what the track is for. It really is clear and you don't have to worry about that clerk on her way home.
Is the store clerk too much of a stretch for you? Well then consider the stray dog, or the not stray dog that got out and doesn't know that the road isn't safe. Do you have any idea how much damage a dog does at 100 mph? Just a hint, it's not twice the damage at 50, it's way more. Are there deer in your area? Looks like there could be. A deer will total a car at 30 mph. Imagine that same deer at 100. Do you know how much more damage that becomes when the vehicle flying out of control is 5 feet from your vehicle? They'll be picking pieces of you (and all your buddies) out of the ditches and off the roof of that new store you found for months and it'll be on camera since you were video taping the whole thing. Just some good 'ole boys having a good time right? Untill you hit that pothole the farmer carved into the road when he forgot to lift his plow before going across the street a week ago.

My point is simple, all public roads have too many unknown factors to make them viable targets for racing. Keep the racing on the track. I'd love to see some good track vid's, but nothing pisses me off more than someone street racing on a road that looks just like the one my sister and her 4 kids live on.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Yes I watched the videos. You may try to not race on public roads, but you falied miserably at it and even got a video of yourself failing so miserably at it, repeatedly. Really, you did a pretty good job of it despite your best efforts to not do it. You don't try to avoid something like that, you just avoid it or you don't. The simple fact that you're trying to defend street racing shows that you don't know how to handle a vehicle. Professional race car drivers know exactly how stupid street racing is, don't do it, and will be more than happy to tell you to not do it too. Really, ask one. Real life isn't the fast and the furious, 100% of those stunts were done on closed circuit tracks and none were done in vehicles any of us here could ever get a the garage.
Don't street race under any conditions. If you miss track day, then you missed it. Don't take the track to the street.

I looked in the background. I noticed a few buildings that I guess were those few stores that you didn't know were there. Wait a second, you didn't know they were there? I thought you said you only street race when you know the road is clear. If you didn't know there was a store, you certainly didn't know if the road was clear or not. An evening store clerk going home after a long day of restocking the store and taking care of a dropped bag of flour is definitely not a clear road. That's what the track is for. It really is clear and you don't have to worry about that clerk on her way home.
Is the store clerk too much of a stretch for you? Well then consider the stray dog, or the not stray dog that got out and doesn't know that the road isn't safe. Do you have any idea how much damage a dog does at 100 mph? Just a hint, it's not twice the damage at 50, it's way more. Are there deer in your area? Looks like there could be. A deer will total a car at 30 mph. Imagine that same deer at 100. Do you know how much more damage that becomes when the vehicle flying out of control is 5 feet from your vehicle? They'll be picking pieces of you (and all your buddies) out of the ditches and off the roof of that new store you found for months and it'll be on camera since you were video taping the whole thing. Just some good 'ole boys having a good time right? Untill you hit that pothole the farmer carved into the road when he forgot to lift his plow before going across the street a week ago.

My point is simple, all public roads have too many unknown factors to make them viable targets for racing. Keep the racing on the track. I'd love to see some good track vid's, but nothing pisses me off more than someone street racing on a road that looks just like the one my sister and her 4 kids live on.
Haha.. "comp rage?" I see your concern. Im not gonna go back and forth with you. I guess your persistant in trying to put me in my place or whatever you trying to do. I mentioned that the stores must've been new because I dont remember them being there in that section so i guess you just cant read. You just made up so many scenarios that i think you should've been a director. I dont care what pisses you off or not. If you dont like it you dont like it. Your not gonna stop anything from happening again so why even bother? Best thing you could've done is said nothing and kept it moving. Sorry your pissed but next time it happens you wont be on my mind while doing so.

BTW.. there were no houses on that "road" not "street" i ran on and the speed limit on that road was 60mph. I wouldnt want to live on that "road" anyway.. nothing there but one small section of stores and no homes! No reason to reply just keep it moving.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you were supposed to win, but for some reason i think you should have pulled more because you have k-pro and a tune
Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
you were supposed to win, but for some reason i think you should have pulled more because you have k-pro and a tune
Its more about where you start a roll from. I started closer to his sweet spot so thats what helped him stay close. Its only street tune which frees up HP but not full potential. If i start anywhere near 4K rpms i pull 3 cars instantly. I was surprised he stayed that close as well. And to think i stay with my friends 298 HP G35 until 4th gear when he starts to slowly pull away. With a Dyno tune I should be able to improve my top end but for now i mainly just have a strong low/mid range.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Got your mom in

Its more about where you start a roll from. I started closer to his sweet spot so thats what helped him stay close. Its only street tune which frees up HP but not full potential. If i start anywhere near 4K rpms i pull 3 cars instantly. I was surprised he stayed that close as well. And to think i stay with my friends 298 HP G35 until 4th gear when he starts to slowly pull away. With a Dyno tune I should be able to improve my top end but for now i mainly just have a strong low/mid range.

that's right those SI's and that second gear is fierce I know u have slot more power to free up. Get ur dyno tune and you should be happy with the result. Nice pulls btw. Try and take it easy in the streets though
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
nice vids. i wish i would've found you a couple weeks ago when i was in NJ and looking for someone to run with
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by SG81
nice vids. i wish i would've found you a couple weeks ago when i was in NJ and looking for someone to run with
Next time your ever around send me a message .
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Special-K

that's right those SI's and that second gear is fierce I know u have slot more power to free up. Get ur dyno tune and you should be happy with the result. Nice pulls btw. Try and take it easy in the streets though
04 TSX cams aren't all that good to begin with. If I had 06+ TSX cams i'd probably see better gains uptop. And 115K miles to boot!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
great vids man! i raced a si coupe before n i beat it, i got a short head start though btw how much did the kpro cost u?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Got your mom in

its a little under a 1k
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Special-K

its a little under a 1k
Its a few hundred "over" a 1K.. It'll end up running you around 1200 depending.. or more
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Dktran31
great vids man! i raced a si coupe before n i beat it, i got a short head start though btw how much did the kpro cost u?
I've raced a few Si coupes and 4doors and beat them as well. I need a full tune to help out with top end because i think its lagging up top. Its top end that im lacking it seems. Mid range/down low is very nice though.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

sick videos i wish i had some engine work on my car... bone stock driving it is soo boring haha but hey the car hopefully last me a long time since i never messed around with the motor
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Nice vids!! HyTech y0!!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 AM
4th Gear

bad idea posting about street racing. that is all.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
6th Gear

i agree. street racing is NOT SAFE. it was done this time, it shouldnt be done again... period!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by als'tsx
i agree. street racing is NOT SAFE. it was done this time, it shouldnt be done again... period!
But it will!..
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. I went from an 08 Si sedan with H&R suspension and wheels to an 04 6spd TSX(that now only has Neuspeed suspension) and noticed a considerable difference in performance.The Si was much quicker at the track,but the TSX is much quicker around town.Different power bands has alot to do with it.I still appreciate having a more grown up vehicle.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Employee #13

slowest races ever lol

I would like that TSX if it wasn't lowered so much. nice vids anyway
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting videos. Neat to see how the "Type-R" or "Type-S" Accord performs next to the more overtly sporty Si. I'd like to do this at an autox or track.

ItchyToe has a point, impromptu racing like this is hazardous, no matter how the participants argue that it was reasonably safe. Some precautions help, like having someone run 1/4 or 1/2 mile ahead and radio back for obstructions, hazards, etc. But then ... precautions is what going to a formal track day or autocross is all about. The organizers have done the prep to all but guarantee safety and fun for all.

I know OP weighed the pros and cons, and knows the road, blah blah blah, but the point is that a public post like this can be interpreted by some dumb@55 as "see, it's easy and safe," and go out and get killed or (worse) kill someone else. Bad idea. We need to be clear here in Acurazine that there are safe, acceptable ways to enjoy your TSX, and test the boundaries of its performance, and little or no preparation or investment is necessary. (I.e. if you spent $2500 on your suspension, tune, intake, etc., then $150 for track day instruction or $35 for an autocross is a negligible expense. IMHO.)

I'm not trying to denigrate or insult OP, just want others to who read this thread to know there are safe and legal ways to do the same thing illustrated in the videos, ways that will not cost you your license or your (or others') life. Search for SCCA or NASA or Google for a local Honda/Acura car club.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice videos!! Too bad the TSX didn't come like yours from the factory. In stock form they just aren't that quick. If the TSX had come with a J30A4 6spd then I would have purchased that over my accord coupe. Have you taken your TSX to the track yet?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

I think i've see this on youtube before I came here. LOL interesting.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i ALMOST had a red one! damn it im jealous. wanna trade? lol
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the bump, I enjoyed watching, and must have missed this before. Knowing what your car can do is important; I, however, think that more people should practise braking.

BTW, the most dangerous thing I do while driving, is to actually stop where and when I'm supposed to, for stop signs, and for red lights, and not just because I've been teaching the kids to drive. And no, we don't try to piss people off, and don't brake suddenly when in traffic; hitting the backs of our cars just seems to come naturally to too many drivers, even if there is a bus in front of me.

So, I don't street race, but I watch out for, and seem to have no problem with, other people who do, probably because I've seen so many other bone-headed moves on the road that I know that speed isn't the problem - the drivers are.

But I do miss trips to Shannonville, and to Mosport. My son, however, turns 16 this year, and we've been going go-carting, instead, in preparation. It's really annoying, actually, that he can't pass me in the corners, but can walk by me on the straights...sort of like Civics and TSX's on the street - but the physics rule, so why bother, except that it's annoying!

Last edited by gdcwatt; 01-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 AM
5th Gear

nice..