Yet Another Clutch Question

Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yet Another Clutch Question

But I don't think anyone has posted this one before...

Recently, the clutch on my 2004 TSX has started to slip. It’s only a matter of time until it will have to be replaced. In terms of stock vs. aftermarket replacement, I am undecided as to what direction I will pursue. I wish to remain TSX specific – if plausible, but I also want a mild increase in holding power. There are several aftermarket choices – I know, but what I’m really curious about in terms of a clutch assembly replacement for my 2004 is the clutch setup for the 2009 TSX 6MT. The press release for the 2009 indicate that its flywheel has been lightened somewhat. However, that’s all I know about it. I looked on Acura’s on-line parts guide and suspect that the bolt/bushing hardware is common between the two model years. However, the flywheel, friction and pressure disks are different and there is some additional shielding/covering for the overall assembly. Is there anyway to know for sure if this basic assembly can be back-fitted into a first-generation TSX? In addition, of the second-generation 6MT TSX’ers on this board, what are your impressions of the stock 6MT setup? – Just curious.

Regards,
Old 09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The only way you'll know if it fits is the actually try it on there.

And I would not concern myself for the TSX specific aspect of things. Don't let a "RSX" clutch turn you off. Its all the same crap

Marcus
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for an Exedy lightweight flywheel for the RSX (HF02) and a matching Exedy HD clutch (or commonly referred to as the stage 1)
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a quick update: At 104k miles, the stock clutch and flywheel were laid to rest. Currently, I’m currently at 106k miles and have been running the Exedy (HF02) Flywheel and HD clutch for approximately two months. The car is definitely quicker to rev and a lot more fun when getting on the gas.

Here are my impressions: Overall, drivability is pretty good vs. the old stock unit. During low speed (traffic) conditions, there is slightly increase in driveline rubber-banding, but it’s not too bad. Note: that this car also has the UR Pulleys. In addition, initial clutch take-up is slightly more vague than stock, but that’s okay too. It really gets tricky when starting uphill in wet slippery conditions. Also, this setup seems kinda soft during sudden acceleration from a standstill with the steering wheel locked to either side (the worn stock unit often slipped when doing this). However, boy is this car fun! The engine is way more responsive to throttle command. Seat of the pants, it feels substantially quicker off the line and highway response is good, but not as noticeable as in the low gears. Traction is more of an issue in 1st. It’s not uncommon to feel the tires start to break loose while in the middle of first and the rev limit comes up real quick, btw. However, this is all good stuff. I figure the next mods will be a header and upgrades to the suspension.

Thanks again for the advice.

-CB
Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cor6bro
Just a quick update: At 104k miles, the stock clutch and flywheel were laid to rest. Currently, I’m currently at 106k miles and have been running the Exedy (HF02) Flywheel and HD clutch for approximately two months. The car is definitely quicker to rev and a lot more fun when getting on the gas.

Here are my impressions: Overall, drivability is pretty good vs. the old stock unit. During low speed (traffic) conditions, there is slightly increase in driveline rubber-banding, but it’s not too bad. Note: that this car also has the UR Pulleys. In addition, initial clutch take-up is slightly more vague than stock, but that’s okay too. It really gets tricky when starting uphill in wet slippery conditions. Also, this setup seems kinda soft during sudden acceleration from a standstill with the steering wheel locked to either side (the worn stock unit often slipped when doing this). However, boy is this car fun! The engine is way more responsive to throttle command. Seat of the pants, it feels substantially quicker off the line and highway response is good, but not as noticeable as in the low gears. Traction is more of an issue in 1st. It’s not uncommon to feel the tires start to break loose while in the middle of first and the rev limit comes up real quick, btw. However, this is all good stuff. I figure the next mods will be a header and upgrades to the suspension.

Thanks again for the advice.

-CB
Where did you buy this clutch and flywheel and how much did you pay?