Intermittent Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Power Steering

2005 Acura TSX

I replaced the bearing and seals in the power steering pump following the Honda/Acura service manual and online videos. Everything was put back just as the manual specifies. When I first started up the car, it was like there was no power steering at all. I drove around trying to cycle the wheel lock to lock. After about 30 mins of running errands around town, the power steering kicked in. Everything was fine for a few minutes then it went back to almost no power steering. I parked and added more power steering fluid because it had gotten a little low.

I came home and let it sit about 15 mins and came back out. The power steering worked as it should when I started the car. I turned it lock to lock about 10 times then the steering wheel almost locks up like the power steering is gone. I look in fbd reservoir and see bubbles. I shut the car off to let the bubbles die down. I repeated the above process about 5 times with the same results. The car will still drive with power steering for just a little while then it will lose it just like the driveway test mentioned. There are no leaks from the pump, but the reservoir seems to have overflowed because it is coated in fluid

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Reservoir overflows because fluid is full of air bubbles greatly increasing volume and overflowing. Air is introduced in low pressure (suction) side, usually at the pump/hose plastic fitting (oring faulty). It can also be caused by blocked PS reservoir screen (bottom of reservoir) cuasing a severe pressure drop and air entering system (air pressure > PS suction hose pressure).

good luck