Brake Caliper Rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Caliper Rattling?

Anyone ever notice a distinct rattling coming from a front brake caliper, most noticeable over small bumps? Im fairly sure its the caliber rattling becuase A) you can grab hold of the floating part of the caliper and its got a bit of play in it and b) there is no noise over bumps with brakes applied.

Im pretty sure most Hondas are notorious for this and its just a normal condition. Correct? If not, is there a cure?

Some more background on the issue from the TL forum HERE
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor

More info here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...caliper+rattle
Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Had similar noise coming from the front left corner of my 05 TSX when going over small bumps. After a road test (less that 5 minutes) the tech took the left front wheel off and applied more grease to the brake pad to prevent it from rattling in the caliper.

Been very quiet since then
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RkFast
Anyone ever notice a distinct rattling coming from a front brake caliper, most noticeable over small bumps? Im fairly sure its the caliber rattling becuase A) you can grab hold of the floating part of the caliper and its got a bit of play in it and b) there is no noise over bumps with brakes applied.

Im pretty sure most Hondas are notorious for this and its just a normal condition. Correct? If not, is there a cure?

Some more background on the issue from the TL forum HERE
Have the original pads been replaced?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nbtx
Have the original pads been replaced?
Nope. 17K...all stock.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back to the dealer time.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have warranty, let the dealer handle it. If it was me, I'd grease the caliper pins and apply anti-sieze in between the shims and the pads and between the pads and retaining clips again. That quietens the caliper.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor

The dealer is definitely handling it.....just trying to determine if this is a known issue. Seems most Hondas have "loose" calipers that rattle and clunk around a bit. My old 'Teg did, too.

Noises and rattles that are "normal" are a lot less annoying, arent they?

So....is this a common issue?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
10th Gear

Mine is around 25-40 mph. On "washboard" like surfaces. Short bumps in the road.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

Mine is definately doing this as well. I posted a thread about a clanking noise coming from under the car. Its over bumpy or rough pavement, and doesnt necesarily have to be a large pothole. Mine sounds like its on the drivers side. I will check the play of the caliper tommorrow. How can I lube these parts myself? The warranty is over om my 04.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Whats it is SON!

I'm not 2 sure if the pads come with an anti rattle clip or not. It sounds like its off 2 the dealership 4 u! Make sure u ride with the tech before and after the repair. Theres something loose. Either the caliper might b loose, pads worn(yes i've seen it), also have them look at the slider pins. have them grease everything. Let us know what they find.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

Always keep the anti-squeal shims from the original pads because you can use them on your aftermarket pads (or sell them to TSX owners who threw theirs out )
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Im pissed, as I purchased this vehicle from an Acura dealership in Toronto just two weeks ago. I understand that its used but on top of the caliper rattle I have two other issues. One where the clutch is slipping or something while engaging first gear, and my drivers side window sometimes does not go down. I'm driving there first thing tommorrow morning to make some noise as this car should not have been sold to me like his.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
10th Gear

Im pissed, as I purchased this vehicle from an Acura dealership in Toronto just two weeks ago. I understand that its used but on top of the caliper rattle I have two other issues. One where the clutch is slipping or something while engaging first gear, and my drivers side window sometimes does not go down. I'm driving there first thing tommorrow morning to make some noise as this car should not have been sold to me like this.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
10th Gear

Im pissed, as I purchased this vehicle from an Acura dealership in Toronto just two weeks ago. I understand that its used but on top of the caliper rattle I have two other issues. One where the clutch is slipping or something while engaging first gear, and my drivers side window sometimes does not go down. I'm driving there first thing tommorrow morning to make some noise as this car should not have been sold to me like this.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you buy the car CPO or just as-is? If it's not CPO you're probably SOL. LOL.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

Sorry for repeated posts above. Oh and what is CPO?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Instructor

CPO=Certified Pre-Owned
Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
10th Gear

Lol! Yes I did purchase certified pre-owned. Thats one of the reasons why I spent a little extra on the car. It saved me from spending more money as the car has been at the dealer for two days now. Anyhow, this site is great as I was able to find threads about people having the same issues as I was. It helps when speaking to the technicians at Acura, as this info I believe, gives them a starting point in troubleshooting my vehicle. Anyhow, the tech said he has heard of other cars having the brake rattle issue, but didnt specify which ones in the Acura line-up. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of my under car rattle. As for my clutch noise while engaging first gear. They have my tranny out of the car and I will post the outcome in the corresponding thread. So far Acura Sherway in Toronto has been great as they said they were paying for everything.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:18 PM
6th Gear

Clinking noise from the front breaks.

Hello everyone. I have the same problem with my 08 TL Type S. I hear the clinking noise coming from the front brakes. It sounds like break pads are hitting the caliper every time when I am driving over rough roads. I went to the dealer 5 times past 3 months, and still no luck! They did changed rear dampers, struts, front break pads and upgrade shims, but the noise is still there. Is there any way to fix this problem? Thanks for listening.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Driver/Detailer

Grease the caliper pins and apply anti-sieze on the back of the pads and on the anti-squeal shims.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Grease the caliper pins and apply anti-sieze on the back of the pads and on the anti-squeal shims.

I am going to try this and also re-install the OEM Shims. I took them off when I replaced my brake pads. And I am getting rattle / cluncking on all 4 tires, over small bumps.. Shocks are good, upper ball joint is good, and lower ball joint has no visible play and no visual grease on the lower ball joint, so all looks good. And I dont think it is the sway bar links, because the same noise is coming from the front and the rear and I installed the typeS rear sway bar with new links on the rear, and it made no difference in the rattle whatsoever! So, I dont think it will fix the front either! So, I am moving on to the calipers... I hope this is it..
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I'm 99% certain it is the play/travel between the holes in the calipers and the pins. The retaining clip/spring does not appear to apply enough force to keep them quiet over small bumps. It may be possible that the pins themselves wear down over time and allow more play/travel between the holes in the calipers and the pins. It is annoying as hell in the summer with the windows down. May as well be driving a Yugo...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Drifting

I have bad lower ball joints on the front. And I have 1 ripped bushing that I know of. II bought new ball joints and 2 bushings for each side of the lower control arm. I know the ball joints are making 2 specific noise, but as far as the other noise (yes there is another) I think it is either the bushings or just hard tires. I do not have any noise coming from the brake calipers. I think when these rubber bushings get old, they get harder or they simply crack like the front lower control arm bushing because it is poorly designed. It pivots in a way that creates a twisting effect on the rubber. That is why part of the bushing is hollowed out. But I think that was stupid for honda to hollow out the bushing on the edges because it all twists at the same rate. It doesn't twist "less" toward the middle of the bushing than it does toward the outside edge. Anyway, I received a new ball joint press and some flat disks this week to press out the bushings. So, it's on the to do list.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Drifting

by the way, when bushings get harder and dry out.. they transfer more noise. Same is true if you were to replace rubber bushings with urethane bushings. they transfer more noise to the body from the suspension. I have even seen metal bushings, which is basically no bushings at all, on a "panhard bar" for a camaro, because I installed one once. And it made so much noise it sounded like someone was hammering on my suspension. Needless to say, those "off road" metal bushings lasted about 5 miles on my car and I removed them. So I think these TL's , with a 5 link rear independent suspension, are really susceptible to making noise when they get old. Especially if you install really hard tires like the Bridgestone S-04. So it all makes for more noise transferring into the body. So the only thing I can think of doing is replace all the bushings. And see if that helps. But nothing is ever sure until you've completely corrected the problem.