Megan racing coilovers for first generation coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Megan racing coilovers for first generation coming soon.

The senior designer and sales manager confirmed that they will be out near the end of December. They will come in the EZ street coilovers and STREET coilovers which is a higher and better version of them. Because of the compatibility of the Honda accord they will be out quicker since they don't need to make the rears. Also Honda accord rear control arm which is a adjustable camber as well will be included as the TL or compatible fit. hope you guys enjoy this because its hard to find such a part or fix like this. Also they are adjustable in ride height and dampers. can't wait. if your curious check them out on Google for some pictures......they are clean.
The following users liked this post:
drbam007 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preesh

Thanks for your efforts, I for one will be looking forward to checking them out and putting them on my car. What's the difference btn the EZ and the STREET versions? Hey 1997TL-P, would you plz check out my thread from yesterday "will this setup work??" and comment on my proposed wheel/tire/susp setup. I intend on using these new coil overs from Megan in my setup, lower car 1-2 and move to 17" rims. Again, thanks for making this happen, ALOT of 1st gen folks will be singing your praises if these coil overs can get it done.
Attached Thumbnails Megan racing coilovers for first generation coming soon.-image.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
all i want is a price????
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to the Megan Racing web site and messaged them about the coilovers. Perhaps I will get some more information on the price and ?. :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrot
all i want is a price????
they will range from $670 to $850......the EZ STREETS are a little less. but the STREET PACKAGE is the higher one. and it depends if you but it straight from them or the other company's they sell to. Still is a reasonable price
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Advanced

bp%3B_ylt=A2KL8wNsaKRQtA0AjhZF9tw4?f=pictures&m=2_ 0_0_21_22_AFPvHkgAAJRnUKRnzwuC%2FTWX7yI&p=2&i=0&pg =1&tcf=1&.ts=1352951917&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=us&.lang =en
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Advanced

http://adl.m.yahoo.net/us.f1407.mail...1mDYq8uuQ8_g--
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced

http://adl.m.yahoo.net/us.f1407.mail...qEGtGkAcFMVA--
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced

http://adl.m.yahoo.net/us.f1407.mail...5E0NOPgx8Yvg--
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Advanced

http://adl.m.yahoo.net/us.f1407.mail...YuAqdjVgveAQ--
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Instructor

damn wouldnt just some springs make more sense? these cars wont ever have the power or handling needs to requite a legit coilover set up. not that its not cool but shit a 300 dollar set of springs would have sold to nearly every owner...dont get me wrong the work put in and everything was impressive and appreciated just seems unpractiacal. and without supporting mods its just a ton of loot for lowering. but im no engineer.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced

damn wouldnt just some springs make more sense? these cars wont ever have the power or handling needs to requite a legit coilover set up. not that its not cool but shit a 300 dollar set of springs would have sold to nearly every owner...dont get me wrong the work put in and everything was impressive and appreciated just seems unpractiacal. and without supporting mods its just a ton of loot for lowering. but im no engineer.
i see what your saying. but the lowering springs would be okay its just that you'll blow out the stuts faster unless you have the right ones which they don't make. struts and springs are usually made from seperate companies, but i remember eibach and the konies but they discontinued them. if you want springs it will be the same as a stock suspension and not much performance would be gained and you'd have to deal a lot with the alignment unlike the coilovers. you would have it easy to easy. and performance for this car are you serious respectfully saying you can do very much. i took out a 2007 Honda civic si sedan with exhaust, intake, clutch master and headers. my car has headers, straight pip, cold air, iridium. lasers, exhaust, and high performance torque converter and a little more plus weight lose anyways my car weighs 600 more and i got him 2 times in the gear box. i have video from Fullerton where there are car meets and races. anyways if i had great suspension i had better traction and pull from the wheel and way more torque if you have. it leveled right. also took one of them 2003. those s Acura babbie!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=jrot;14165751]damn wouldnt just some springs make more sense? these cars wont ever have the power or handling needs to requite a legit coilover set up. not that its not cool but shit a 300 dollar set of springs would have sold to nearly every owner...dont get me wrong the work put in and everything was impressive and appreciated just seems unpractiacal. and without supporting mods its just a ton of loot for lowering. but im no engineer.[/QUOT so anyways what IM saying is that coilovers for this car would stand out more than just lowering springs. if you've been in a car that has coilovers then you'd understand the performance you'd get from it. it has a lot to do with getting more air to the engine as well also reducing the catch of air from underneath. i actually put in a word for the lowering springs when i met up with James who is the designer. they doont make them for thirty company strictly coilovers, chassis and exhaust. i can speak with someone from eibach to see if they can get them back but its up to you to choose. yoou will not get the right feel or performance from lowering springs i know because i had them. Megan racing is a very reputable company and will make great use of this and its at a lower based price. i know some coilovers that go for $2500 plus. this is a blessing.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Instructor

yeah, i get what you mean also and im not trying to poo on your efforts. i think what youve done is EXTREMELY respectable. i am however fully aware of what coil overs can do since my last supra had a set on it, and i also know when to know what a car will and wont accomplish something. to me its more about understanding why a car was built and what its capable of doing because of that. if you put two 1gs evenly matched next to each other one with the coil overs and one with springs and shocks your going to see very little if any difference in the performance between the two. you will indeed get a slightly better road feel from the coil overs you will also gain a rougher ride, and it seems that most peeps just want a better look rather than a circuit ready racer anyway( again something this car will never be ). sighting the airflow change is somewhat of a non issue in this, a luxury car. also i get that you can pep this car up a little but its never going to be applied very well since the chassis itself was never designed as a sports car, and you will quickly out build its capabilities making most upgrades redundant and useless. but i must repeat that im not trying to disrepect you in anyway just kinda throwing my useless opinion out there. also ill be the first one to buy a USED set at half the price when they come up.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced

yeah, i get what you mean also and im not trying to poo on your efforts. i think what youve done is EXTREMELY respectable. i am however fully aware of what coil overs can do since my last supra had a set on it, and i also know when to know what a car will and wont accomplish something. to me its more about understanding why a car was built and what its capable of doing because of that. if you put two 1gs evenly matched next to each other one with the coil overs and one with springs and shocks your going to see very little if any difference in the performance between the two. you will indeed get a slightly better road feel from the coil overs you will also gain a rougher ride, and it seems that most peeps just want a better look rather than a circuit ready racer anyway( again something this car will never be ). sighting the airflow change is somewhat of a non issue in this, a luxury car. also i get that you can pep this car up a little but its never going to be applied very well since the chassis itself was never designed as a sports car, and you will quickly out build its capabilities making most upgrades redundant and useless. but i must repeat that im not trying to disrepect you in anyway just kinda throwing my useless opinion out there. also ill be the first one to buy a USED set at half the price when they come up.

forsure i understand. i just see lowering springs not to be as durable and long lasting as the coilovers. I'm looking for the comfort, ride height adjustments, looks and just riding smooth but stiff rather than dipping hard and bottoming out a lot. i had the eibachs but finding the right struts was an issue especially the alignment. i just see coilovers to be an easier way and a lot easier installing because with stocks or lowering springs you have to use the press for it to hold the spring from killing you. but i definitely see what your saying for the luxury part, ya its not a sports car but i can assure you it looks as good as one and looks aggressive....hey i turn heads. i thought it would be a better approach because its all in one set and you don't have to worry about adjustments. i don't know what people would choose.......coilovers or lowering springs. if you love the car and you budget your money on every part you spend on it in the right way i see it as a good investment. IM just sick of bottoming out a lot and have that understear.........its horrible. i love cutting corners with this car and plus carrying people in it and i really can't because now its to much weight. i know it seems like i did it for myself but i just saw it for everyone else that you waste more time and money with the springs. i will however speak with eibach on this though. hopefully they will see a more increased interest in this vehicle.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced

and i want to thank you as well for your appreciation.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
i prefer coilvers than springs because 1. height adjustments 2. strut/shocks built in and 3. dampening if coilover have it. good thing mines a 2.5..
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by white2.5tl
i prefer coilvers than springs because 1. height adjustments 2. strut/shocks built in and 3. dampening if coilover have it. good thing mines a 2.5..
what kind of coilovers you have RS? because 2.5 has the same front suspension as the 3.2 right? i haven't seen any 2.5 only 3.2.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997TL-P
what kind of coilovers you have RS? because 2.5 has the same front suspension as the 3.2 right? i haven't seen any 2.5 only 3.2.
Both front suspensions would be different. Keep in mind the 3.2 engine is heavier than the 5cyl so the weighs of a spring for the 2.5 would be different. the rears maybe the same/maybe not. Spring rates are almost always based on the weight the car puts on each corner.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Racer

got some taiwan brand coilovers. c8 sports ssd for 94-97 accords. spring rates are 12kg for fronts and 10kg for rear.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced

got some taiwan brand coilovers. c8 sports ssd for 94-97 accords. spring rates are 12kg for fronts and 10kg for rear.
wow.......that's dope. OK then now what IM trying to figure out is is the 2.5 top strut mount the same? because the 94 to 97 accords top studs are only 3 inches across from eachother and the 3.2l is 3 3/8 apart. thats why i didn't get the accords not only that my has about 300 lbs difference the top mounts wouldn't fit up top. is the 2.5 front suspension the same as the 3.2? or the same as the accord?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Racer

the accord coilovers fit in perfectly. the only problem is that the part that stick up into the engine bay is smaller. the tl opening is a little bigger but not much difference. maybe i can take some pics to show the difference.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced

so how did you fit the top in? switch the top mounts? with the stock ones.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Racer

mine look like these but for 90-97 accords.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-ACCORD...70317c&vxp=mtr
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

QUICK UPDATE: I spoke with James at Megan Racing today and he said they were expecting a prototype for our 1st gen TL's returned from overseas manufacturer in early January. He said to call then to get next update on availability. It IS happening thanks to 1997 TL-P ! Preesh bud and Happy Turkey Day to you all !! (I still need help finding clear bumper lights, inspire red/clear tails and eyelids... any help would be appreciated! Mine is '98TL3.2)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by drbam007
QUICK UPDATE: I spoke with James at Megan Racing today and he said they were expecting a prototype for our 1st gen TL's returned from overseas manufacturer in early January. He said to call then to get next update on availability. It IS happening thanks to 1997 TL-P ! Preesh bud and Happy Turkey Day to you all !! (I still need help finding clear bumper lights, inspire red/clear tails and eyelids... any help would be appreciated! Mine is '98TL3.2)
i told ya......its guuuuud.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by drbam007
oh and go to eBay and type in inspire Honda or jdm. you'll see them you have to scroll through. UA2
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Str8 Home built

Soo is this Coilover set up for the 3.2 only...????? Cuz in the front end suspention the 3.2 and 2.5 are differnt....
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigwerm187
Soo is this Coilover set up for the 3.2 only...????? Cuz in the front end suspention the 3.2 and 2.5 are differnt....
Yes for the 2.5 as well. There isn't much difference the only thing would be the spring rate and the weight it can handle. Everything else is identical if I recall. If so inform about it so I can relay that message.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Str8 Home built

Yes for the 2.5 as well. There isn't much difference the only thing would be the spring rate and the weight it can handle. Everything else is identical if I recall. If so inform about it so I can relay that message.
The main differences is the way the spring is built on the 3.2. The spring is built alot wider and the top mount is different as well.

So basically then suspension on the 2.5 look just like the honda accord suspension. its a direct fit and looks the same.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigwerm187
The main differences is the way the spring is built on the 3.2. The spring is built alot wider and the top mount is different as well.

So basically then suspension on the 2.5 look just like the honda accord suspension. its a direct fit and looks the same.
White 2.5 said that the top mount for the honda accord is a little smaller the mount with the studs. Its the same for the 3.2l. I have not come across one yet only 3.2 at the salvage yards. You have pictures so I can compare?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Racer

ask and u shall receive..this is for the 2.5. don't mind the dirt. haven't got time to cleaning it.

gap

back driver

front driver
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, i'm speaking here as a Legend owner, which means i'm making some educated (or uninformed ) guesses as to what is and isn't possible with a G1 TL. however, the G1 3.2 TL and a Type I Legend are very close to each other in front end and drivetrain design. i can attest that the front suspension is basically identical to a 93-95 Type I Legend (sedan), as are the motor mounts, and indeed the 3.2 V6 engine is the same one used in a (Type I) Legend. The intake manifold is very similar to a Type I manifold (though there are differences). The emissions system has differences, but those are much easier to work around than engine or suspension incompatibilities.

To me, this means 3.2 TL owners have access to a lot of the same performance mods and upgrades that Legend owners have (which, admittedly, is not a lot compared to many other cars, but still). both cars are heavy-ass boats, and they are always going to be gimped by this, but that hasn't stopped Legend owners (and some TL owners, i'm sure) from pursuing improvements over stock power and handling. here's a list off the top of my head of Legend upgrades that i'm pretty sure will work in a G1 TL: OBX headers for the Legend; CAI/SRI; 2.5" exhaust w/ Stromung/Remus (or similar) muffler; very possibly an RL 3.5 swap (though ECU compatibility might be a problem there); Type II intake manifold & fuel rails; possibly Telion's front strut tower bar (or Fut's, but those are almost impossible to find); Type II dual-piston front brake calipers and/or the "mini-BBK" which consists of using G2 RL caliper brackets with Legend Type II dual-piston calipers and RL 300mm rotors (all bolt-on, no modification); Legend lowering kits (as far as i can tell, the front strut design is the same in both cars). that's a lot of (potential) options for TL owners.

unfortunately, the unique rear suspension design of the G1 TL means basically no interchange there, but honestly from what i've seen, the TL design is significantly improved over the Legend, so i'm thinking you already have an advantage there.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about this stuff, because i haven't tried any of it and my only experience with a TL is a lot of close examination of one at a salvage yard and pulling the front motor mount setup from it to swap into my Legend. but from what i saw, there's a lot of interchange possibilities from Legend-land for G1 TL owners.

i can't really speak to the pros and cons of coilovers vs. just lowering springs, as that's an area i'm still learning about. i'm just making the point that there power and handling upgrade options available to be explored if a justification for using coilovers is needed.
drbam007 (12-06-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by devolution
the 3.2 V6 engine is the same one used in a (Type I) Legend.
it's short block is same one used in all Legends, but the intakes and heads are different between Type I and Type II Legends.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Still waiting.....patience is a must.
drbam007 (03-13-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear

Hit me up for your current setup when you get the coilovers.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM
5th Gear

Still waiting.....patience is a must.
any updates? I didn't see any Gen1 TL apps on their website.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Str8 Home built

ask and u shall receive..this is for the 2.5. don't mind the dirt. haven't got time to cleaning it.

gap

back driver

front driver
Soo sin e u have them on ur 2.5.. how do the feel and ride..????
Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Racer

like all the girls say... smooth and stiff..lol.. joking aside.. they ride pretty smooth and note bouncy at all. no more boating feel when turning sharp. i barely get nose dive when hard breaking. i want to try a autocross course for the fun of it..lol..
Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Str8 Home built

like all the girls say... smooth and stiff..lol.. joking aside.. they ride pretty smooth and note bouncy at all. no more boating feel when turning sharp. i barely get nose dive when hard breaking. i want to try a autocross course for the fun of it..lol..
Hahaha nice.... how long have u had them and ow many miles have u put on them already...??? And have they gave u any problems..???? I wanted to get the tein ss but there $1000.... Amd my car is never going to see a track.. and when i saw tjese megans. I thought the price was right... $680.... Lol...

Quick Reply: Megan racing coilovers for first generation coming soon.