G1 3.2 rear crossmember pic / front suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G1 3.2 rear crossmember pic / front suspension question

hey, i'm new to this forum. i'm a G2 Legend owner, and i've been obsessing lately about swapping stuff from the G1 TL into my Legend, since there's a lot of similarities in the front suspension and engine. i'm still trying to figure out what's worth the effort and what's not.

anyway, right now i'm trying to determine if there's any possibility of swapping the TL rear suspension into a Legend. i think it's unlikely based on what i can see from the dealer site diagrams, but i'm still researching it. it would require a full swap, including the crossmember, and so i'm trying to find a decent picture of a TL rear crossmember to compare to the Legend one. i would think it would be obvious from the pictures, and it would save me a lot of time over pulling the one from the TL that's in the Pick'n'Pull right now. (if anyone already knows the answer to this question, that would be awesome, as well.) so, if you have a picture and could post it, that would be much appreciated.

my other question is about the front struts on G1 TL. the lower control arms are the same as on a Legend, but it looks like the lower part of the strut (that inserts into the fork) is a smaller diameter than the Legend, but possibly the same diameter as newer TL's and/or TSX's. since the width of the TL fork where it attaches to the LCA is the same as a Legend, if the upper part of the fork is a smaller diameter that's compatible with newer Acura coilovers/struts, that would open up some possibilities for Legend owners (and TL owners, in reverse, for using Legend KSports, D2's, or JIC's) for aftermarket options. so, my question is: what is the diameter of the upper part of the fork, or alternately the diameter of the lower part of the strut/gas cartridge? are the TL struts identical to the Legend ones or are they a hybrid "transition" size from the Legend to the later-model TL/TSX struts? anyone know?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, i think i made this overly complicated.

for the second question, can someone measure the diameter of the bottom of a TL strut, where it inserts into the fork, and post that here? that's really the thing i need to know most. i can figure the rest out from there.

as for the first question, judging strictly from the TL & Legend service manuals, it appears to be highly unlikely that the TL crossmember will bolt-on to a Legend. i think the mounting points on the body are in different locations. i'm going to try to verify that this weekend, as there's a 98 TL in the salvage yard here.