Just bought a new 1997 Acura 2.5 TL, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a new 1997 Acura 2.5 TL, need help!

Hey, I just bought a 1997 Acura 2.5 TL with 179k on it. I bought it off a guy for $1900 bucks. It was pretty much the best car I could find in my area, so I had to bite on it.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could tell me how reliable the engine really is? It is obviously not a standard Honda engine as it is a 5 cylinder. The owner said the engine was actually a german engine that the japanese refined, should this engine be just as reliable as Honda 4 cylinders and v6's?

Also, I need to fix a few things and need some suggestions. I know for a fact that I need both o2 sensors for the vehicle and I was wondering if it was that hard to change and where to get the cheapest price? My dad is pretty handy, changed them on my Honda Civic before.

I also get an occasional kick/budge when my car shifts, it is kinda scaring me, how should I approach this problem?

Also, the car starts hard after sitting for about 12-24 hours. Could it be the battery? Has anyone else had any of these problems?

As I said, I just bought the car, what precautions should I take as far as any people who own this vehicle, should I go get some things checked out?

I am kind of debating if I can afford to fix this car, I have called around to autozone etc and parts are ridiculously high!

Help me people?!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome..

All of the weird shit doesn't come from german...

O2 sensors, you can buy universal o2 sensors from ebay or some other source and then you will need wire them. There was a thread by someone who just replaced his o2 sensors on his 2.5

For the transmission, change the transmission fluid with genuine Honda fluid and if you can/want, also change the filter screen.

Car starting hard, check the plugs. If possible do a tune up using new spark plugs and spark plug wires and also change distributor cap and rotor.

You sure can afford this car, just look around for the mostly needed DIY's and you will be OK. Most stuff is easy and can be done by one person..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Look here for all of the DIY's..

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/1st-generation-tl-d-i-y-database-please-look-here-before-you-search-718462/
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Advanced

It's got 179k on it - sounds pretty reliable to me!

You say hard to start. What do you mean by that? Does it crank really slowly? If so, seems likely that it's the battery. Most auto parts houses will load test a battery for free..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats and welcome!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Welcome!

Did the previous owner state when the timing belt/water pump was changed?

Get your alternator and battery checked for free at Autozone.

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank when you fill up. I would do it for a few weeks (3-4). Remember to use PREMIUM GAS ONLY! aka the expensive gas at the pump. It says it right on the dash that premium gas is required.

Seafoam the engine and clean out the carbon that is in it. You will be amazed at what that ish can do to your car.

Get the tranny filter changed and do a drain and fill with the fluid. Get an OEM filter and all the parts necessary OEM. There are a few things that should remain OEM and this is one of them.

Get it aligned too. That would be a good thing. If you have a Town Fair Tire near you, go there and get an alignment for ~$68. If you have a Firestone near you, then go there, fill out paper work, pay one fee of like $150ish and then get lifetime alignments for free.

This car is not expensive to maintain at all. There are many other cars that are way more expensive than ours. If I can maintain this car at 16 years old and with a job to now a 19 with a part time job working 25 hours a week you will be fine.

Like Tony said, check out the DIY section so that you don't have to break the bank.

GL!

Also...

We love pics so post some of your car.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
9th Gear

Thanks guys.

Just got back from FireStone for an oil change, I think I may have a answer for my starting issue. I have a Duralast battery which has small posts, not getting a good connection. Hopefully if I get them tighter it will work better.

Secondly, they topped off my fluids and what not as the tranny fluid seemed a bit low. The downside is, I still keep getting this hard kick from 1st to 2nd gear, it is scaring the piss out of me. If someone has a solution to this, that would be excellent, and also how many miles have you driven since you have done this solution to fixing the problem?

Just bought the car a week ago, here is the link to the post if you guys want to check it out. Says he did a trans filter and fluid change? But who knows.....

http://holland.craigslist.org/cto/1570288829.html
The following users liked this post:
OLDMNSX (02-26-2014)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Go back to seller and ask him if he ever changed timing belt. I would bet not, and one of the reasons he sold the car.

Read post from fellow who recently bought another older 2.5TL and drove until timing belt broke. Now he's staring at a $800-$1200 repair. Timing belt replacement is easy on 2.5TL, but will cost $400-600 from a good shop. DiY cost is $200 or so for all parts including water pump.

good luck
Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shift into 2nd

Originally Posted by Bruessos
Thanks guys.

Just got back from FireStone for an oil change, I think I may have a answer for my starting issue. I have a Duralast battery which has small posts, not getting a good connection. Hopefully if I get them tighter it will work better.

Secondly, they topped off my fluids and what not as the tranny fluid seemed a bit low. The downside is, I still keep getting this hard kick from 1st to 2nd gear, it is scaring the piss out of me. If someone has a solution to this, that would be excellent, and also how many miles have you driven since you have done this solution to fixing the problem?

Just bought the car a week ago, here is the link to the post if you guys want to check it out. Says he did a trans filter and fluid change? But who knows.....

http://holland.craigslist.org/cto/1570288829.html
Is your tach acting funny? Mine was doing the same thing and threw 2 tranny codes. Acura couldn't help me and I figured it out on my own. Ignition Control Module located right underneath the coil. Got a used one from pull a part and replaced it and now car shifts good and tach is not jumping all over the place
Old 11-05-2015, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the car has yet to crack 200k, its still a spring chicken. Here are the repairs that I have done to my 1998 2.5 TL with 270k miles:

Timing belt, water pump, exhaust manifold (under warranty), valve cover gasket, wiper assembly belt, engine fan, radiator, wheel boots, muffler, oil filter gasket, speed sensor, O2 sensors, and the rubber knob that touches the brake light switch. Look to ebay for parts.

Regarding the battery cables, I had your same problem and use shims to ensure a tight fit. Enjoy!