'98 Acura 2.5 tL - "Air Intake Hose"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 Acura 2.5 tL - "Air Intake Hose"

Hey guys,
I'm very new to this forum as you can clearly see. As indicated by the title of the thread, I have a '98 2.5 tL, and I've been having one hell of a time trying to find a specific part for it.

From what I understand, it is called something like an "air intake hose"; to be more specific, it is the accordion-like tubing that connects the MAF sensor/filter to the engine itself (NOT the MAF, just the protruding hose). The one in my car has several punctures in it, causing my car's transmission to fluctuate irregularly and sometimes wildly whenever I try to drive it. I have been told by mechanics that not only is it a fairly simple DIY fix, but that it is also one of the most commonly known problems with these types of Acuras.

HOWEVER:

I have called around the top 5 local businesses around me that either are Acura/Honda dealerships or are affiliated with them in some way, as well as going into Autozone/Napa/O'Reilly Auto Parts in person to try and get this one piece. I have been told by every person I have talked to that Acura just simply doesn't make replacement parts for these cars, and that its discontinued and there's "nothing they can do about it". Their only suggestions were for me to just peruse junkyards and hope that there happens to be another one of the exact same model of car that has a "working" air intake hose...I think this is complete BS, and if true, shows tremendously bad business sense in Acura as a company. It sounds like they expect me to just junk this car I own currently and just magically start over with a brand new car, but like most of you I'm not made out of $ and I need a car...especially when the repair is something this stupid and banal.

So my question is, do you guys know where to get replacement parts for these models? I'm sick of having every "amazing" mechanic I talk to play dumb on the phone with me and tell me what I believe to be straight up lies. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey man post a pic of it and ill help u out man.... Like were it goes in the car ....
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Str8 Home built

Dam didnt read it right lol just woke up... So ur need a new intake pipe right but the stock one..... Well if u wana fix it depending in how bad it is u can clean it with alchol then goop it mine had a hole on a flat section and i used a bike tire patch lol looks clean. anyways lol ur best bet is on ebay.. ..... And dont waist ur time with local part stores. Lol if ur dealer said they dont make it well there on crack cuz they do they were just lazy to look for it.... Also a good website is rockauto.com thats were i get my stuff from dealer, ebay, japan or rockauto.com...
The following users liked this post:
James Frank. (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
It's called "TUBE, AIR FLOW" and is #11 in this parts diagram provided by Delray Acura http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

What your dealer looked up was #10, the whole assembly. These are dealer specific parts and will most likely not be found in your autoparts store. Let me know if you still can't locate one as I might be going to the junkyard in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
James Frank. (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Racer

im might be in need for one too..lol..mine is all crack up and i havent seen it crack all the way through yet..
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the responses, guys. I'm gonna check out the recommended sites over this weekend and see if I can figure out any place that sells the actual part. Unfortunately I'm not the most tech-savvy when it comes to repairing cars or even knowing much about them, at least on a technical level...but I get the gist of what needs fixing when things go wrong, even if I can't fix it myself. But yeah, this whole process is frustrating when certified mechanics just tell you "eh- can't fix it, you're on your own" when it comes to such a ridiculously simple fix.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by main70072
It's called "TUBE, AIR FLOW" and is #11 in this parts diagram provided by Delray Acura http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

What your dealer looked up was #10, the whole assembly. These are dealer specific parts and will most likely not be found in your autoparts store. Let me know if you still can't locate one as I might be going to the junkyard in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
Thanks! I noticed the schematics you linked to are for a '96 tL...is that particular part the same in a '98? Just making sure, but otherwise that part you mentioned is the EXACT part I'm looking for, haha.