Newly purchased Yokohama YK 580s

Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly purchased Yokohama YK 580s

So I needed to replace the stock Michelin MXM4 rubber on my 08 RDX. After doing research I settled on the Conti DWS only to quickly realise that tyre (I'm English) is like Kaiser Soze in the movie "The Usual Suspects." People know of it, and talk highly of it, but they never actually see it. Such was my experience. After waiting almost a month with Discount Tire, they had no foreseeable delivery date and it was clear from looking around on other sites they were never going to materialise - at least not before winter was over. I've read alot of the blogs, and user comments at Tire Rack etc, and none of the other available tyres people discussed really grabbed me. So, I decided to take a "big" chance on the 580 knowing that there was very little info to guide me at this point other than reviews of the 520. It's early days yet and I've only done a few hundred miles but so far I'm pretty pleased. Compared with the Michelins the 580s ride slightly firmer (not surprising), and there's probably slightly more road noise too. It's not loud noise but it would be a lie to say there's none. I don't really push my car so I couldn't tell you how well they hang in the corners but the ride in everyday driving has been good and the 580s look pretty boss too. Given that I live near Chicago I will be glad of the noticeable grooves around the edges for the extra traction. I didn't really have any problem with the Michelins, but they were expensive, and it does seem, as others have stated, that you can get more for your money with other brands. I'm hoping that's the case. Will post again after more experience.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

Please keep us all up to date, I'm strongly considering the same tire to replace my stock Michelins as well. The tread design seems reasonable and living in Ohio, I need something that will provide good wet and at least "decent" snow traction too.

While I know that the Continental DWS probably has the "best" in snow traction, in the end, I don't like the soft sidewalls on the DWS that MANY users have commented on. I don't want to give up dry handling quality. In addition, the nebulousness of when these tires will actually become available for shipment leaves me with no choice; the stock Michelins have become unsafe in wet weather and the car has completely lost its responsiveness in wet, dry, and snow conditions. I guess I should consider myself fortunate to have made it to 42,500 miles on the stockers. (4/32" left, but they are very squirmy now with little control).

Has anyone else had any experience with the YK580's?

Do you have any pics of the YK580 on your RDX?
Do you think the car at least handles similarly to how it did on the stock Michelins?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Looks like Yoko's answer to the DWS. LRR tire with with a 580AA treadwear rating. 60k mile tire is great on the budget, but might be a better choice for a lesser performance cuv like the Lexus RX.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear

So far so good on the 580s. As I said on first post there's more noise than the stock michelins but the Michelins are grand touring as opposed to perf tyres so I expected that. Over rough road and pot holes you can tell the ride is firmer on the yokos but not jarring. The recent snow had all but gone when I had the yokos put on but in the slushy wet stuff they were great, and I think they would perform better in the snow than the Michelins too but I will have to wait until I'm driving home in a storm to prove that. Yokos good under braking also. I can't post pics yet as I'm new to the forum but I will and then everyone can laugh at my stock rims! In short, so far I think they've been a good buy but I'd you like your ride on the softer side, even though the diff isn't huge - stick with touring tyres.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Parada Spec-X for the past 45K miles and am probably going to get them again. Excellent traction and they worked well in my one trip to the mountains during a blizzard (when they were 2/3 worn already).

Yokohama's site shows them as better than the 580s in all categories except for tread life, but I got 45K out of them and that's good enough for me.

The discount tire web site lists the Paradas as "better" with the 580s as "best", though, and the 580s are a little less expensive, so they may be an excellent choice as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by flar:
DateTSX (02-13-2012), SinCity (05-06-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear

Well it wasn't crazy weather on Friday but I had to commute back to Naperville from DeKalb and the snow was coming down. I also stopped off at an industrial park which hadn't been ploughed or salted. The 580s were solid, not a hint of slip, and they rode well in the snow too. So far I've put about a thousand miles on them and am glad I pulled the trigger after being so dubious. I might be singing a different tune after thousands more miles but for now I'm happy. I would also like to see how they cope with a full on Midwest snow storm. I don't know much about the Paradas but others have said good things about that tyre too.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flar
I used Parada Spec-X for the past 45K miles and am probably going to get them again. Excellent traction and they worked well in my one trip to the mountains during a blizzard (when they were 2/3 worn already).

Yokohama's site shows them as better than the 580s in all categories except for tread life, but I got 45K out of them and that's good enough for me.

The discount tire web site lists the Paradas as "better" with the 580s as "best", though, and the 580s are a little less expensive, so they may be an excellent choice as well.
I have the Paradas since December and had no complaint since. As a matter of fact my parent's Murano is due for a set as well. And I agree with the OP regarding the DWS. Lots of phases on them but rarely anyone get to see them in action. Maybe when the Paradas wear out ill probably give the DWS and chance, provided they're available.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Just to throw a new wrench into the works I found some excellent survey feedback on the new Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires and decided to give them a try. I'm not sure it was a great idea given that I had been happy with the Paradas, but these are a new generation of low rolling resistance tires that allegedly work well in all seasons, so I thought I'd see if they can boost my mileage any. They are rated by the consumers as better than the Paradas in all categories except for noise (still rated better than the stock Michelins), but that is with only 15 survey responses so I'm worried it's a case of new buyers wanting to justify their purchases.

Time will tell...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by flar
Just to throw a new wrench into the works I found some excellent survey feedback on the new Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires and decided to give them a try. I'm not sure it was a great idea given that I had been happy with the Paradas, but these are a new generation of low rolling resistance tires that allegedly work well in all seasons, so I thought I'd see if they can boost my mileage any. They are rated by the consumers as better than the Paradas in all categories except for noise (still rated better than the stock Michelins), but that is with only 15 survey responses so I'm worried it's a case of new buyers wanting to justify their purchases.

Time will tell...
Well, time isn't telling very quickly on the TireRack site (after 5 months they've only gone from 15 to 24 survey respondents), but here is what time told me in the past 6-8k miles:

They are good street tires for dry and wet, I haven't had them up to the snow yet. They do chirp a little when I'm descending steep hills in SF, but they are very quiet when pushing them to their limits in cornering. With respect to their limits, it's hard to do seat of the pants measurements to compare them to my old Parada Spec-X tires, especially since their cornering behavior is quite different. The Paradas would start to make noise near their limit, but they would then start to break away fairly abruptly soon after that so you needed to head that warning. The Scorpion Verde tires, on the other hand, never seem to make a noise, and they slowly start to require tighter steering angles which indicates they are slipping, but it is a very gradual thing that is very easy to control. My gut feel is that they would not provide as high a lateral G rating when measured, but their break away behavior is so unbelievably benign that they would make great tires for someone interested in safe and trustable road manners instead of ultimate performance. In the end I would probably go with the Paradas again if I was going to buy my next set, but I am certainly happy with the Scorpion Verdes as I don't autocross or do track days any more and the car is stuck mostly doing commute duties. Also, the steering feel is lighter with the Scorpion Verdes over the Paradas.

The as-yet-untested snow behavior will/would be the final deciding factor, but I was certainly fine with the snow traction of the Paradas for the little snow I ever see...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Does anyone else have any updated thoughts or reviews regarding the YK-580 for the RDX?

Really considering this tire and was wondering what everyone thinks now that it's been on the market a little longer. Still can't seem to find many reviews out there anywhere.

Thanks...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

I bought the Yoko 580s about 4 months ago after reading about them here. I got a screw in one of my Michelins, got it repaired, and decided to get a new set of tires shortly after the shop told me that they were down to 1-2mm. So far the 580s have been good with about mostly dry 4000 miles on them. When taking some aggressive turns like freeway on ramps I noticed that they were a bit sluggish initially/lagged a bit when compared to the Michelin OEMs. They seem to grip well through the turn, however.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Seekup41
Does anyone else have any updated thoughts or reviews regarding the YK-580 for the RDX?

Really considering this tire and was wondering what everyone thinks now that it's been on the market a little longer. Still can't seem to find many reviews out there anywhere.

Thanks...
AViD ENVigor is less expensive and has longer tread-life. If your going to buy an spirited all season tire you might as well get an UHP.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
5th Gear

I replaced my 2011 RDX SH-AWD with Yokohama Avid Ascends. I had one damaged MXM after 8K miles. Wow! What an improvement I handling, noise and ride comfort. And I am averaging 2 mpg better due to the low rolling resistance of the Ascends. I highly recommend them. And they are reasonably priced, too.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Here's a ~3.5 year update. My Yokos have about 4mm of tread left. I don't know how exactly far I've driven (I'll try to look it up), but I'm going to estimate about 50,000 miles. Lots of city traffic, highway, and long road trips which included light off-road.

Overall I'm pleased with how the tires have held up. I've noticed that the Yokos seem to lose grip quickly in the wet so I take it easy.

Originally Posted by markmass
I bought the Yoko 580s about 4 months ago after reading about them here. I got a screw in one of my Michelins, got it repaired, and decided to get a new set of tires shortly after the shop told me that they were down to 1-2mm. So far the 580s have been good with about mostly dry 4000 miles on them. When taking some aggressive turns like freeway on ramps I noticed that they were a bit sluggish initially/lagged a bit when compared to the Michelin OEMs. They seem to grip well through the turn, however.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

It was more like 60,000 miles.

I had a slice in one of my sidewalls and brought it into America's Tire. They had the tire in stock and I got it replaced under warranty (I bought the certs). I'm thinking I'll swap out the other 3 old tires, even though they seem to have a lot of tread left.

Here's a ~3.5 year update. My Yokos have about 4mm of tread left. I don't know how exactly far I've driven (I'll try to look it up), but I'm going to estimate about 50,000 miles. Lots of city traffic, highway, and long road trips which included light off-road.

Overall I'm pleased with how the tires have held up. I've noticed that the Yokos seem to lose grip quickly in the wet so I take it easy.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
AViD ENVigor is less expensive and has longer tread-life. If your going to buy an spirited all season tire you might as well get an UHP.
The Avid ENVigors aren't brilliant. They're pretty squirmy(55 aspect ratio) and they get REAALLY greasy when wet. Haven't tried them in cold/snow yet.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
It was more like 60,000 miles.

I had a slice in one of my sidewalls and brought it into America's Tire. They had the tire in stock and I got it replaced under warranty (I bought the certs). I'm thinking I'll swap out the other 3 old tires, even though they seem to have a lot of tread left.
I'm on my 2nd set of Conti DWS miles and you might have saved about $700 with the Yoko. I had a road hazard issue and had Conti DWS on the front and back with different tread depth until I decided to go with new rubber with winter coming ("S" was gone and "W" was getting there). I can't seem to get more than 33,000 to 35,000 miles from my Conti DWS. It is weird because I have the same tires on my TSX and MDX with 50,000 mile treadlife seems to be no problems for those vehicles. I still like the tires and most likely upgrade to the Conit DWS 06 when the time comes.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

I replaced all four tires at around 105k with another set of Yoko 580s. The new tires felt a lot better in the wet and I'm glad I got them for the heavy rains.

Longevity is excellent. Handling is okay, though not super inspiring. I'm recommending these tires to anyone that doesn't want to think too much about their rubber (drive and go with a bit of fun).
Old 06-05-2016, 11:23 AM
6th Gear

I replaced all four tires at around 105k with another set of Yoko 580s. The new tires felt a lot better in the wet and I'm glad I got them for the heavy rains.

Longevity is excellent. Handling is okay, though not super inspiring. I'm recommending these tires to anyone that doesn't want to think too much about their rubber (drive and go with a bit of fun).
Can you tell me how the road noise is for them, particularly highway speeds (70-80 mph), over concrete? I'm considering these for my 2012.

Robert
Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Many apologies for not responding earlier. (Sheesh.. Years have passed!)

I hadn't be bothered with any noise issues. I'm generally listening to music so I'm likely drowning out anything coming from the tires.

Another tire update: It's been about 2.5 years since I got my last set of YK580s and I'll be getting them replaced in the next few months. I've been pleased all around so it'll likely be Yokos again.

Originally Posted by Robert.Rdx
Can you tell me how the road noise is for them, particularly highway speeds (70-80 mph), over concrete? I'm considering these for my 2012.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

I'll be getting a set of Yoko YK740s tomorrow. I have about 155k miles on my 2009 RDX odometer and the YK580s are still good (especially during the Cali summer months), but the edges are down <2mm due to cornering at speed.

Another tire update: It's been about 2.5 years since I got my last set of YK580s and I'll be getting them replaced in the next few months. I've been pleased all around so it'll likely be Yokos again.