New Nitto Motivos

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New Nitto Motivos

just put them on yesterday: with one heat cycle trough them they're worlds better than the stockers, but I'm probably comparing the new rubber to old thing. I still feel justified in hating them for lasting less than 20,ooo miles (considering they were supposed to last 40,000 miles). Now it remains to be seen if the 60,000 mile warranty is any good, and the grip holds.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read good things about the Motivos as far as noise, tread life, wet grip, and dry grip. I'm just waiting for more reviews on snow traction. If anyone has any input please share.
I need new tires and I think I'm going to give the Motivos a shot. I'm just leary of the DWS's and the soft side walls.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Just under 500 miles on the new Motivos, and they've stuck very well in snow and wet. Granted, I have only my own impressions, but they're at least 5 mph better though corner I regularly take in the dry at speed, and don't complain in the crud like the Michelins did. They still let you know that your'e approaching the edge, but with the same amount of advance warning and less squirming. I've never run the DWS, but these are an very competent alternative.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

1,000 miles on the motivos

Just passed 1,000 miles on the Motivos driving to work in the snow this AM. On dry pavement, they're very well planted, and definitely stick better than the stockers. They're much better in rain and snow than the MXM4s, but they are a bit noisier. Normally it's not noticeable, but they do have a hum between about 86 to 89 mph indicated. This hum has been getting quieter since Day 1, so I suspect either the tire were out of true a touch, or my alignment was, and the tires are correcting for it.

All in all I'm very happy with the new buns and would recommend them.

B
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my Motivos installed last week. I haven't driven much but so far they handle great. I have noticed a slight hum as well but it isn't very loud. I talked to the sales rep and he said it should go away after a while, did say how many miles though.
We received about 3 inches of snow the other day and took the RDX out, it handled great, and stopping is way better than the stockers.
Can I ask what tire pressure you are running at?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

35 all around...sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disappointed they do not come in a 275/40/19. Maybe someday
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please keep posting your reviews on this motivo tire people. I had posted on a previous thread my intentions to replace my yoko v4s's with either the envigor or parada spec-x's and have been trying to decide which one to get.
Well that all might be out the window now since when phoning around to get prices and maybe a little advice from some tire shops in my area I was told about the nittos. The manager at our local kaltire insisted the motivos are a better performing and longer lasting tire than the envigors as well as being $30 cheaper per tire. So I started to do a little research into these tires and most reviews seem very positive. I do have a question to those of you that have had them installed, they seem to expose the wheels more than my yoko's in the pics I've seen of them. Just wondering how they actually look when on the rim, with regards to wheel protection I mean. Thanks in advance and keep those reviews coming.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (05-17-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Motivos have 7000 miles now. Equally as grippy as the DWS in rain and snow, but better handling due to the stiffer sidewall.

They are showing about 1 mm of wear after 7k miles. This should allow a service life of about 42k miles; way short of the warranty, but about average for SH-AWD.

After OEM Michelin, Bridgestone Alenza and Continental DWS, the Nitto Motivo is the first tire I would buy again.

ps. when I pulled the DWS, my tire guy submitted them to Continental for mileage warranty. Seven months of repeated inquiries and not-one-word back from Continental.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

I have put about 1,000 miles on my Motivos since I got them rebalanced and an alignment done by a shop other than the place I purchased them originally at.
I would say the humming noise I heard at high speeds has completely vanished. I have pushed the tires up to the 110 mph range and they felt very stable and quite.
I did some minor snow travel with these tires and I was very impressed with them. I feel very safe driving on these tires in snow and I think the RDX handled great.
I probably won't keep the RDX long enough to make it through the life cycle of these tires but I am 100% happy with them.
I need a bigger vehicle now that we have an English Mastiff and the RDX just wont cut it that much longer, moving on to the 2014 MDX as soon as I can.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

I'm at about 3,500 miles, and I'm still very pleased with the Nittos. We're well out of snowy weather now, but they worked very well in the last few slushy storms of the season, even with spotty ice. Still noisier than the OEM buns, but I wouldn't call them loud, just average.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Just posted this in my picture thread but wanted to share here as well. My last 4 sets of tires have been...

Nitto Invo - 235x35x19
Conti DW - 235x35x19
Conti DWS - 235x25x17 (on stock wheels and current winter setup)
Nitto Motivo - 235x35x19 (on aftermarket wheels and current summer setup)

Let me say that they have all been good tires. I did feel that the Conti DW wore a little faster than the rest. But in comparison between the DWS and the Motivo here is my thought and a little background on driving conditions.

Both the stock size DWS and the 19" Motivo have been driven in the snow. Both worked well in the snow but I must say that the Motivo offered more traction/less slip in deeper snow. We had a snow day this year and we got 12" of snow and I had to drive my poor car that day... Drove slow and made it home without any issues. Keep in mind I saw countless people stuck on the side of the road. Here are a few pictures of my drive home that day.

Both tires have also been driven in warm weather and rain. The biggest differences for me are that the DWS feels squishier. I can only assume that some of this is because the DWS is a 45 series tire vs. the Motivo being a 35 series tire. If you are needing to make a decision on which tire, my first choice would be the Motivo. And the biggest reason is the noise level. The DWS is absolutely a louder tire. It's far from overly loud, but it is a louder tire.

Keep in mind that this comparison is on two tires with almost equal mileage. My Motivo's have 9,000 miles on them, which I just took off so I can order new wheels. The DWS, which I just put back on have around 7,500 miles on them.

Not a perfect review but these are my thoughts.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
15k on the Nitto Motivo now. Excellent grip, stability and wear.

Best tire we've had on the RDX and first tire I definitely plan to buy again.

(Unless something totally new and performance oriented comes out.)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^^Those driving conditions would best be tackled by a dedicated snow tire. An all-season tire isn't suited for commuting in the snow. In fact, those "countless people stuck on the side of the road" are also too cheap to buy real snow tires.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

The issue we face here on the front range in Colorado is that we're not in the high country, where a dedicated snow tire is justifiable: I ride my CBR1100XX at least once a month to work all year long so snow to us is more a roundhouse punch than a stick and jab, stick and jab event (IOW, I don't think they're justified). A good, all season tire is exactly what I want. I toy with the idea of dedicated winter tires and wheels so that I have the best stick in the summer, but I can find brilliant conditions in February that I don't want to face with Blizzaks on the rims.

Sorry, just sipping a beer and rambling...my bad.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
chug! chug! chug!
The following users liked this post:
flyv65 (10-17-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 AM
10th Gear

I'm in the decision-making stage on tires, and I haven't even taken delivery of my '11 yet....4 more days!
The Nitto Motivo is still in my top 5 list. I've read lots of good comments here about them.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

20k on the Nittos...

...and they're just as shot as the the stocker Michelins. That being said, they've been stickier the the Michelins in every situation-and cheaper. If Nitto backs up their 60,000 mile warranty, I'll put them on again. I suspect that very few tires will tolerate the depleted uranium right foot I possess any better (or the depleted uranium ass that drives the RDX), so if I ever find the dosh I *might* try the Pilots, but the Motivos definitely don't suck...
Old 04-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've got about over 40K on my Motivos and I really do not have one negative thing to say about them.

Will they see 60K? No. Do I care? Not at all.

For what they cost vs what I've driven, I definitely have no complaints. I have my NY state inspection coming up and I would not be surprised if the tires do not pass.

They have handled very well on dry and wet roads. I never tried them in snow, as I have designed snows.

I'm pricing new ones as we speak.

I gotta agree, they don't suck. They have been worlds better than the stock Michelins for sure.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone know how much the 245/45-19 size weighs? I've looked at Nitto's site, discount tire and 1010 tires to no avail....