RDX 2007 power and battery problems

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX 2007 power and battery problems

Since we bought the car, the start-up process has been hit and miss. The car just passed it's 36 month gurantee and the battery died again after sitting one day. Some days, it sounds like the car is having trouble turing over and other times it quickly starts. We've replaced one battery after being jumped about 6 times and are wondeirng if this is "normal" as Acura has told us as there are many items drawing power from the battery on newer cares. Sounds like an excuse to us. We can't use the radio when the engine is off for fear it won't start and it makes a whinning sound just after it starts. Help!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM
3rd Gear

2007 RDX radio plays but screen is blank

I was wondering if there is a short or systemic electrical problem as the radio screen sometimes goes black, but remains on. We also have had battery problems, with starting being a problem among other little knits. What does this sound like to you? Acura says no problem. Right!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your Acura warranty is 4 yrs, not 3.

They replaced mine under warranty a couple years ago and this one is still going strong... (bateries don't last long in the desert)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
lornecaplan, it sounds like there is something definately wrong somewhere!
How long have you owned the car, was it for the 36mths?
Yes there is some drain, but not enough to kill a good battery in even a week of sitting!
Its not normal for the radio to be doing that either!
I would first check that the basics are covered/checked/ok.
Make sure that the battery is good and strong.
Check that there is a good ground.
Check that the alternator is charging properly.

I would also get the car scanned to see that all systems are operating normally and that there are no codes occured!

Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lornecaplan
Since we bought the car, the start-up process has been hit and miss. The car just passed it's 36 month gurantee and the battery died again after sitting one day. Some days, it sounds like the car is having trouble turing over and other times it quickly starts. We've replaced one battery after being jumped about 6 times and are wondeirng if this is "normal" as Acura has told us as there are many items drawing power from the battery on newer cares. Sounds like an excuse to us. We can't use the radio when the engine is off for fear it won't start and it makes a whinning sound just after it starts. Help!
What part of the country are you in? Could it help to take it to another repair shop?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

same problem

I am on these boards trying to find a solution to a similar problem. 07 RDX tech package, this past winter got best buy to put on a autostarter
within few days battery dies, got starter removed and still have the problem every few days to a max it dies weekly. Took it to mechanic who cannot find the drain as it is intermitent. Really not sure what to try next, there is a drain somewhere and with the number of computers on this car it is near impossible to find the drain when it is intermitent. Any other thoughts, suggestions
Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, a couple of days ago my radio screen went black, system kept working though. It freaked me out. I stoped, shut the car off, turned it on and it has worked fine ever since. Must be a little glitch somewhere. Never had the dead battery problem, but I have noticed sometimes the car starts straight up, sometimes it takes a couple turns. I just figure that is due to the position everything is sitting in when I turned it off last. Since I also run 2 amps, GPS and Radar Detector I decided to put an amp guage on just so I can monitor the battery. No issues there (although this is my 2nd battery, first one died after about 2 years, stupid me just bought another one, didn't even think about the warranty). 280 more miles and my warranty is up anyway.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by chefbear
I am on these boards trying to find a solution to a similar problem. 07 RDX tech package, this past winter got best buy to put on a autostarter
within few days battery dies, got starter removed and still have the problem every few days to a max it dies weekly. Took it to mechanic who cannot find the drain as it is intermitent. Really not sure what to try next, there is a drain somewhere and with the number of computers on this car it is near impossible to find the drain when it is intermitent. Any other thoughts, suggestions
Thanks
One draw could be the amp. There is a TSB somewhere regarding it. Also change out the battery, finally swapped the battery from the car I sold which had a new energizer to the RDX (put the RDX's battery in the car I sold lol!)

The Energizer is sooooo much better then the original battery.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced

2007 RDX will not start after 10 days at the airport. The Acura batteries are minimum power for the application. Buy the most amp hour aftermarket size that fits and all goes well.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Funny thing is everyones situation is different our RDX is in an attached garage and maintained. And being parked outside in cold weather can take it's toll on the batt. Any how I thought about this and I feel I have touched on 94% of peoples problems.

A few things come to mind about electrical issues.
-Fusebox
-07 battery is at or near the end of it's life (I was going thru yellow tops like gum 3 Years ago. No alt )
-Alternator may have over heated or voltage regulator is going bad(inside the alternator)
-grounding out will discharge the battery really quick.
-shady install wiring that will be apparent immediately to a few weeks of driving, use inline slice connectors or butt crimps(electrical tape is big no no ands IMO temp use only)
-recent service at dealer and check the terminals are tightly clamped.(go to audio shop get a decent set no more than 60 dollars. Amazon may have them for less)
-can't possibly see the starter going bad, but that can and will cause problems.
-Check all connections besides the battery, starting at ground nothing should be loose.

Tighten and adjust as necessary.

Ok here's my thought for the past few weeks as these threads have popped up. Check the previous items yourselves with a multimeter for 10 at walmart or take it back to service and tell them that they did not fix the problem, as most have a satisfaction guarantee on their work. And will take it back in for service.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 05-20-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Im using iPhone to type talk about pita
The following users liked this post:
dbrown757 (10-27-2013)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Funny thing is everyones situation is different our RDX is in an attached garage and maintained. And being parked outside in cold weather can take it's toll on the batt. Any how I thought about this and I feel I have touched on 94% of peoples problems.

A few things come to mind about electrical issues.
-Fusebox
-07 battery is at or near the end of it's life (I was going thru yellow tops like gum 3 Years ago. No alt )
-Alternator may have over heated or voltage regulator is going bad(inside the alternator)
-Worn alternator belts or loose belts
-grounding out will discharge the battery really quick.
-shady install wiring that will be apparent immediately to a few weeks of driving, use inline splice connectors or butt crimps(electrical tape is big no no ands IMO temp use only)
-recent service at dealer and check the terminals are tightly clamped.(go to audio shop get a decent set of battery terminals for no more than 60 dollars. Amazon may have them for less)
-can't possibly see the starter going bad, but that can and will cause problems.
-Check all connections besides the battery, starting at ground nothing should be loose.

Replace,Tighten and adjust as necessary.

Ok here's my thought for the past few weeks as these threads have popped up. Check the previous items yourselves with a multimeter for 10 at walmart or take it back to service and tell them that they did not fix the problem, as most have a satisfaction guarantee on their work. And will take it back in for service.
XLR8R mentioned in another thread that not everyone knows but even auto zone and the likes will test the alternator charging system for you.

Forgot about something and can't edit it, darn the 15 min rule!

Last edited by Kaze66218; 05-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
dbrown757 (10-27-2013)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Samething happen to me couple of weeks ago but i decided to tow my RDX to the nearest Acura dealer instead of jump start. Dealer replaced it under warranty..

Warranty is 48 mos :p
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
5th Gear

I assumed it was a different warranty for the battery as mine was replaced at no charge well past my mileage warranty. Could it be that the battery has a years rather than miles warranty? I could check my book of course but it is in the car
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My battery died several months ago with no warning. I was only about 1500 miles out of the mileage warranty (51,500 miles total). I did not want to hassle with Acura about the battery and just took it to Interstate for a new Mega-tron Plus 35.

My display (top center by windshield) also goes blank when I start the RDX about once a month. The XM station still plays; but, I can't change any of the controls. I have to power down/up the radio and it is fine after that. Two weeks ago, same thing happened and I had to turn off/on the RDX to get the radio back to normal. I wish I taken it to Acura about this problem before the warranty ran out.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Not normal

No it's not normal for a battery to last one day (if it is accurate that it is the battery). My 2009 Acura started on some of the coldest days this winter as I park 100 metres away from the winds of Lake Huron (-20 some days) for days at a time. Take it to a good mechanic if you don't know why this is happening instead of wasting time and money and driving an unreliable Acura (which I am now finding out exists). Dealerships don't tell the truth and some don't care. You also might need to call Acura CAnada or USA. I had a few problems with my dealership and when acura spoke to them they drove 3 hours picked up my car and promptly rectifiied the issues I was having while I drove a 2011 RDX. It was easy.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Just something I did over look earlier. We are still on our 07 battery from acura, some 5 years later, recently a friend of ours was hanging out listening to the radio. Key was set to (on) while the engine was off, listening to the radio. I had a spare Optima hanging around and benched the rdx battery for a few days

First, 3 things are happening without the engine running that eat a bit of the electrical power. (Amperage-- that the RDX starter would need to turn the engine over)

1. the battery is being drained and not recharged.
2. the Radiator fan is pulling air at (ON position, 2 clicks) postion, and on the contrary, not at (ACC position, one click in)3. the use of any accessory, eg: Radio, Heater or AC, highsbeams, etc.

Look up the amount of amps needed to use the radiator fans, my FAL's pull at about 30(a) a peice and I have 2. So, my guess: 45a + or - 10amps on the acura's fans and that would kill a bat fast.

Second-ly like I keep saying service disconnects the batteries gnd(-) just to change the oil. Which is good practice, but redundant with something non-electrical. Better believe that i'll diconnect a bat if pulling or disconnecting wiring couplers. Okay meat and potatoes:
it's obvious IMNSHO that Acura Techs are screwing up the teminal connections and the under tightening of clamps to an elevated form of 1st grade art. I'd first check the connections to see if they are loose, if they are not properly clamped down they'll have some play, tighten down the clamp check to see if it has play leave well enough alone.

If yours were mangled up, I'd suggest "audio grade" post clamps over the OEMs. They provide a better clamp to the posts of the battery.

other than that I'd look into my earlier post.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought a 2007 Tech last year and had battery issues. Found out there was a TSB on the audio amp (mentioned earlier in this thread) that applied to my VIN. Brought it to the dealer and they looked up the service record and found the battery had been replaced twice already under warranty! Even though my RDX had just gone out of warranty, they replaced the bad part free of charge. I have had no battery issues since then (almost a year ago) and I've been out of town for 7-10 ten days a couple of times.

I don't recall the TSB number but I did find it while searching this forum at the time.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Our RDX had this same issue it turned out to be a faulty vanity mirror the bulb shorted out finally and blew the fuse. Only then did Acura find the cause, no more dead battery after a year or more of over night drain.

Regards.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I've had my 2007 RDX since it was new. It developed battery drain problems after a couple of years and has been doing it since. two batteries were replaced by the dealer who has performed all maintenance on the car. But that doesn't include all the home recharges and jump starts to keep it going. A little over a year ago the Acura battery was replaced by a Diehard. The cycle of drain has started again without warning. AAnother complete check up at the dealer showed no problem but to replace the battery. At Sears, the battery test shows it is good. Now what do I do? It gets extremely frustrating, to say the least!!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mien111
I've had my 2007 RDX since it was new. It developed battery drain problems after a couple of years and has been doing it since. two batteries were replaced by the dealer who has performed all maintenance on the car. But that doesn't include all the home recharges and jump starts to keep it going. A little over a year ago the Acura battery was replaced by a Diehard. The cycle of drain has started again without warning. AAnother complete check up at the dealer showed no problem but to replace the battery. At Sears, the battery test shows it is good. Now what do I do? It gets extremely frustrating, to say the least!!
OK, a bit confusing to me - when Sears says the battery is good, is that after it has drained and before recharging, or after Sears recharges the battery?

And how long does it take for the battery to drain? and how is the car driven? the RDX alternator is not sufficient to keep the battery charged, unless the car is driven consistently at minimum of 10 miles per trip. Shorter trips, esp. with sitting in between trips, will eventually drain the battery, cause it to sulfate and refuse to take a full charge, requiring battery replacement.

And if you are regularly using a trickle charger that is not one of the new *smart* chargers, you may be damaging the battery.

There are a few threads on battery maintenance and how to check them:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-diy-faq-161/how-care-your-battery-775689/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post14546038

Have you read the many threads in the TL forums, concerning a failed HFL (hands free link) module, which drains the battery over a few days? I have not seen any posts of this problem on an RDX, but the TL is not the only Acura/ Honda with the problem. Search for symptoms and *solutions*.

Last edited by dcmodels; 02-27-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lornecaplan
Does your rdx have a dealer installed rust inhibitor module. I got talked into one at new car purchase time and had a weak battery if the car sat awhile. Removed this module at the battery terminals and it solved the problem.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine is having the same issue. Battery is a Die Hard Gold that I bought about 8 months ago and Sears verified its fully charged. Guess I will check the fuses then starter. Luckily I got paid today, otherwise it would be sitting there for 2 weeks. When I also attach jumper cables to it, it still doesn't start. It makes a very faint click, just one, when I put it into position 3 to start. Everything lights up inside the vehicle as well.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by IIDXholic
Mine is having the same issue. Battery is a Die Hard Gold that I bought about 8 months ago and Sears verified its fully charged. Guess I will check the fuses then starter. Luckily I got paid today, otherwise it would be sitting there for 2 weeks. When I also attach jumper cables to it, it still doesn't start. It makes a very faint click, just one, when I put it into position 3 to start. Everything lights up inside the vehicle as well.
Sounds like the starter to me.
IIDXholic (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Racer

Thanks. Just looked up how to remove everything to get to it, might as well change the spark plugs if I'm going to remove the intercooler as well.looks like Saturday is going to be a maintenance day. Remove the and replace the Starter and Plugs on the RDX, and A12 service on the TL =). I will post pictures of the starter to see if its really beat to shit, as it looks like for a lot of people, its failing around 70k plus. The wife has 90K on hers
Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IIDXholic
I had the same issue where the lights would come on and the faint click and it ended up being the alternator. That was over a year ago and I have not had an issue since with batteries dying or the vehicle not starting.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

Any updates on this issue?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM
6th Gear

Starting problems

I am having the same problem with my 2007 RDX. In the morning, It is very slow to start. ( acting like a low battery) I took it into my local dealership. $127 later. They could not find anything. This problem only happens on cold mornings. The battery is a interstate and only two years old. ( the battery was check by to different dealerships) all the cables were tight and free of corrosion and tight. The start is not pulling any additional amp. and all of the computers are shutting down after the key is turned off. the computer is also NOT showing any additional voltage drain.
I called Acura and they told me to take it to my local dealership.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Extreme climates can prematurely age a battery. You said "only 2 years", but here in Phoenix 2 years is pretty much as long as they last. I think very cold temps can also play a part. At 2 years old the CCA just won't be as good as it was new. If you can't find the answer, put a new battery in anyway and see if it's better.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM
6th Gear

I want out on Sunday and purchase a new battery. Today the battery will not crank the car the first two times.
Has anyone found a fix with this problem?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

If your battery will not start the car after two days of use most likely you either have something draining the battery when the car is off, or you have a bad alternator. Have you had the alternator tested?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
6th Gear

Yes...My Acura shop tested the entire electrical system. The computer report stated all systems check good.

I am leaning towards a starter (drain) problem.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Racer

Ok so last week I finished installing my starter on the 07 SH AWD. It took me 2 weeks cause the starter from Acura was backordered. I took it to a mechanic and he stated the starter is a POS. I don't know how credible his information is, but he stated Acura went from a Denso starter, to a Mitsubu starter and its trash, you cant even rebuild the thing. This is why I bought my started new from Acura (oemacuraparts) and didn't bother with the rebuild. I can tell you my starter was toast. Here are pics of what I did.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Racer

Engine ready!

Intercooler removed. I had to cut off the hose you see still on the intercooler because the clamp broke on it.

Removed the Intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel lines.

the starter visible

As soon as I took off the starter, all this black dust came off, a lot of it.

a little better close up.

New starter finally came in!! It was a lot heavier than the one I took out. I didn't get a chance to weight it, but suspect about a 5 lbs difference.

This tool right here will save your life with this starter install

All put back together and cleaned her up a bit.

I also changed the spark plugs while I was in there. All together this took 4 hours, provided I had the starter from the get go. This thing starts up within 3 clicks so its as good as ever!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Congrats and glad it solved you issue!!
IIDXholic (02-26-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:25 PM
6th Gear

Update on the Electric problem...the end of April the problem come back. I was able to make an appointment at my local dealership to read out the electrical system for the second time. 2 hours before we dropped off the car. The starter died. We replaced the starter and we will see if that caused any of the draw on the system. Personally, I can't see a starter drawing down a battery when the car is shut off.

Thank You IIDXholic for the pictures. If I was able to replace the starter myself. The pictures would have saved me time and $$.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Advanced

A couple of weeks ago, ehen in Guadalajara ( second largest City in Mexico ) my '07 RDX developed a similar issueno starting sometimes, then it started right away after a few minutes, just once needed jumpstart; I replaced the battery since Autozone tester said the current was bad; no more problem for a few days, then the same intermitent problem showed, at the end a mechanic found the started was bad, worn out contacts, he was able to find and replace the carbon contacts as a unit, slong with the carrier, after a couple of hours the SUV was ready, total charge including labor was $40 US or $600 pesos, he even apologyze because it was expensiver than usual, but the carbon contacts were expensiver than US makers. He just removed an engine bracket or support to get access.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

I have the original battery in my 2009 Acura RDX and the last two winters have been very cold--no problem starting this car. Never had a battery last over 5 years. I read the reviews before buying an RDX and did not get the tech package for this reason.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 rdx. It won't start. A few lights in the dash come on but it is very dim. Tried to jump the battery with no luck. Checked the fuses no luck. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I suggest testing with a new battery anyway. Jumping will work on a drained battery, but not a broken one. Some batteries can have cells so far gone that they won't even pass a current, and therefore jumping won't do anything. If a battery replacement doesn't work, then I'd start looking at electrical wiring and connections.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Solution???

Has anybody found a solution to the power being pulled from the battery . I just bought a 07 Acura RDX a couple months ago and I we haven't had any issues then last month we bought a remote start and about a week after the remote start was installed the power started being drained and it killed the alternator so replaced that and the battery and it only lasts 1 day and you have to jump it after sitting all night starter is brand new as well don't know what else to do gonna try removing the remote start for about a week and see if that's the case. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX 2007 power and battery problems