proper level of PS fluid after flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper level of PS fluid after flush

I had the PS fluid flushed at the dealer. Afterwards I checked and it was 1" over the max line. I thought because it was warm.
So I checked after driving around a bit, and after it got cold. But it was still 1" over the max line.
Does the overfill hurt it?
Should I remove a little so that it is between the max/min lines?
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don't think it's a big issue. It's just the reservoir that is overfilled. I imagine they did that because when they start your car for the first time, there likely is air in the system and once the pump pushes it out, the level would drop.

being over filled, I believe the only thing you're really risking is some of the fluid spilling out in your engine bay. I don't believe it's corrosive like brake fluid though.

If it's bothering you, you can use a syringe to pull some out, get the dealer to do it (though it's kind of a waste of time), or if you have nothing to pull it out with, you can do it the ghetto way and dip paper towels into it, to absorb some of the fluid out. Just make sure no paper towel actually stays in the reservoir.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I used the turkey baster and removed a little fluid so that now it is just over the max line.