Power steering locked up

Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering locked up

This morning, i was backing up from my drive way, as i got ready to turn my steering wheel, it was stuck, it was not rotating at all, so i had to turn off my car and restart it, then it worked........ My Rdx is starting to act up..... what could be the cause?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
SCL malfunction.

Is it still under warranty?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DRR98
SCL malfunction.

it is at 61k, 42 months old. so out of warranty
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DRR98
SCL malfunction.

Is it dangerous to drive as it is or do i must take it to the dealer to fix it?

Its been fine since.....

I have tried to search the web but no luck.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Still getting that squealing sound? Power steering pump cavitation does not transfer any kind of vibrations thru the steering wheel. Power steering pumps make "squeals" as they are dying(for the sake of simplicity), and the pump is driven as an accessory drive that runs off of belts on the passenger side of engine.

Check the power steering reservoir while the car is on is there overflow, the fluid should not foam up. If it is foaming, power steering pump needs to be replaced, Possibly the hoses.

Assuming it is a power steering pump. A power steering pump is a simple task to replace. It is much cheaper to do than letting an acura dealer handle it, and then if you don't have the tools then take it to someone.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

I talked with my mechanic he could not diagnose it since it only happened once and he could not chase the ghost.

Its not a squeal but sort of grinding + rubbing, maybe my cv joints or wheel bearing. But i have to admit that i put my accord's key into the ignition and this happaned. but only once. maybe that caused the lock up and vibration could be either power steering pump, cv joints or wheel bearing... hmmmmmmm
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was the steering wheel locked like if you had the key out, or was the wheel just real hard to turn like the power steering wasn't working at all? I had a friend with an older toyota camry that had the steering column lock up on him while driving and he ended up smashing into a bunch of parked cars because he couldn't steer at all.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mstolars
Was the steering wheel locked like if you had the key out, or was the wheel just real hard to turn like the power steering wasn't working at all? I had a friend with an older toyota camry that had the steering column lock up on him while driving and he ended up smashing into a bunch of parked cars because he couldn't steer at all.
It wasn't just the steering wheel locked out but also the acceleration wasn't working either.
The engine was on, i could not steer at all just like the key was out, i could go into the R but wasn't backing up, but it was downhill so the vehicle moved, then i put the gear in D it didn't do anything. So i turned it off and turn it back on boom it works.

So basically It was not hard to steer but was impossible.

The steering wheel was locked up as well as the Acceleration and everything else except for the engine.

Any Clue?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
You failed to mention anything about what you and kaze are refering to above about vibration? My mind reading skills suck.

As far as the steering column lock up issue, if it truly locked, you are the decider.

When locked by the scl, the steering wheel can move an inch or so in either direction before it hits the lock with a slight clunk.

Is that what you felt?

If it ever repeated a lock condition while you were driving, I think that would be bad, umkay.

C5's had what may be a similar issue and you may find info on options they used for corrections on line.