Key Stuck in Ignition - Steering Wheel not Locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:02 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Stuck in Ignition - Steering Wheel not Locked

Hi Everyone! I have a 2009 RDX and the key is stuck in the ignition since last week and it drained the battery out ... can't turn it to (O) in the ignition switch

I took the cover and see if the tumblers are damaged or not but can't see it yet. However, I took the green wire assembly that is connected directly to the key off and we could take the key out and it functions normally. I wonder what the hook is for and if taking it off would affect anything. I tried to google search to understand more about the ignition and it appears the wire might be immobilizer but still in doubt. The green wire assembly is initially connected to the white part connected to the key. The dealer will charge a lot for ignition set and reprogram the key so I would like to ask around before taking the car back.

Thanks Everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Key Stuck in Ignition - Steering Wheel not Locked-img_4354.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Maybbe connected to the shifter and if the shifter position sensor(not the real name of the part ) is out of whack, it's not letting the key go because it thinks your car is still in gear
Old 11-07-2016, 07:39 AM
4th Gear

The car doesn't move when in Park and the indicator said to remove the key. Also the dealer suggests to replace the full ignition assembly but when I unhook the green wire the car functions normally. Would you be able to tell what the green wires that connected directly to the key is?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I deleted the thread you posted today because you already have this thread posted and have received a reply.

@thoiboi

@justnspace
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

OEM Acura RDX 5-DOOR 2009 COMBINATION SWITCH parts

My suspicion is part 35100-STK-A01 Steering Lock Assy is faulty $140 bones
Old 11-15-2016, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

Thanks a lot! As I am totally new to this fixing and diagnostic, what part should I order and get replace. I am so surprised that after I pulled aside the battery, ignition and starter wire bundle the car functions normally and they key is removed. I have driven the car without the bundle hooked up for a week and have seen no other difference. So my immobilizer system seems to be okay just the steering issue?

Thanks again
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

With that unplugged, do you have any issues unlocking/locking your car? I may have misspoken and that's not the part you need but rather #15 on the list:15
39730-SNA-A02
IMMOBILIZER & KEYLESS UNIT
$128.87
$90.21
39730-STK-A01
IMMOBILIZER & KEYLESS UNIT
$81.35
$56.95

Not sure what's the difference between the two though. Can you post a bigger pictures of where the green plugs into?
The following users liked this post:
yenanh (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

Hi - I can't take a good picture as it is getting dark to quickly by the time I could take the pic. Here is the wire that I pull out and the car can still lock and unlock normally

At first, I thought it is my immobilizer system but when I google the wire is battery, ignition and starter wire bundle that I remove from the core just right behind the key ignition
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yenanh
Hi Everyone! I have a 2009 RDX and the key is stuck in the ignition since last week and it drained the battery out ... can't turn it to (O) in the ignition switch

I took the cover and see if the tumblers are damaged or not but can't see it yet. However, I took the green wire assembly that is connected directly to the key off and we could take the key out and it functions normally. I wonder what the hook is for and if taking it off would affect anything. I tried to google search to understand more about the ignition and it appears the wire might be immobilizer but still in doubt. The green wire assembly is initially connected to the white part connected to the key. The dealer will charge a lot for ignition set and reprogram the key so I would like to ask around before taking the car back.

Thanks Everyone!
Thank you for posting this trouble you had. I had the exact same issue. It had happened once before but I turned the switch from ACC to on, then tumbled back and it came right out. I didn't really think much of it. Figured gunk or dirty key or something in the tumbler just needed a re-roll. But then it happened again tonight and would not come out. I shot it with a little WD-40 and it came back out. Kinda thought I had it. But I took the key off the ring and tried a few more times to be sure. It hung again and no amount of wiggling and tumbling would get it out.

Having just had a sentry key issue with my jeep a few weeks back I went straight to trying to take the column covers off to have a look. I was actually thinking I would take the ignition off and find the key tumbler to be broken inside somehow. But didn't get that far. BTW HOW THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT KNEE PANEL OFF THE DASH????? I couldn't and didn't think I would ever get the cover out and over the key. Not looking forward to putting it back.

Anyways, I started unplugging things. That was the 2nd one I tried and key comes right out.

I don't want to go taking things apart more. But it looks like this piece we unplugged is sandwiched in under the security key module? I can't find a diagram good enough so far to tell anything nor see if it is or isn't a separate part?

Anyone know what the part is called?

This plug has 6 wires. I know one set runs whatever stupid gets in the way of rolling the key back to off in order to remove it. Another sent apparently runs the lighted ring around the key switch. I only happened to notice this because in my situation I was working at night and my stupid overhead interior lights also no longer work. I think the 3rd set runs the annoying chime and possibly the "Remove Key" that illuminates in the dash. Not sure on the last one.

Does this run anything else??? Everything else seems to work fine without it. If I don't need this part and it's going to be an ordeal to fix I will just leave it alone. I don't like the blue lighted ring around the key switch enough to fix it and have to hear the chime again lol.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:22 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went back and plugged that wire back in. It worked several times just fine after that. Then it locked up and trapped the key again. Keep in mind the RDX never moved, I didn't ever shift, nor turn the steering wheel. Weird.

Anyways, I was looking more trying to figure out if this piece I was unplugging was possibly a separate piece I could replace. Without taking it apart, I don't think it is part of the security key module. Looks more like it's between that and the switch, and might be part of the switch assembly?

As I was looking around I found a 2 wire loom running out of it towards the steering wheel to another connector. I figured out how to unhook it. Once I did that I found that also allowed the key to be released even with the other connector plugged in that runs the door chime, light ring, and senses the key is inserted. Seems like that connector is to a part on the bottom center of the switch assembly. I took the screw out of that to see if it was just some sort of little sensor I could replace. But it didn't seem removeable. I am not familar and can't find a diagram where I can tell anything about it.

I plugged it back up and unplugged the green connector like I had it because I don't miss the chime at all. I drove it around that way and it didn't cause any issues. I am not generally into leaving things jackleg like this, but in this case, if I can't figure out more, I might just keep rolling this way.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key Stuck in Ignition

Had the same problem, Key stuck in the ignition and won't rotate to the off position until the green connector is disconnected. Found that there is a part called the Parking Pin switch located in the shifter assembly. It is a reed switch that costs about $20. It senses if the car is in park. In order to get at it you will need to remove the center console and then remove the shifter assembly. I will try to update with a more detailed procedure. The part number I believe is

Switch Set, Parking Pin - Acura (35740-STK-A83)

I hope this helps others because for me personally this was NOT a bound ignition key cylinder, it was NOT a bad Neutral Safety Switch, and it was NOT a Transmission Position Sensor.

AND if you find yourself in a postion where the key won't come out; the easiest solution is to disconnect the battery and it will release AS LONG AS the ignition key cyclinder is not bound.
The following users liked this post:
J74 (03-06-2022)
Old 12-14-2021, 07:37 PM
NSXTECH

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Extra crunchy hit it write on the head with the pin switch there starting to go out on all of the older acura /hondas