Diaphram - vacuum controller linkage fix or turbo rebuild?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Diaphram - vacuum controller linkage fix or turbo rebuild?

Does anyone know of a fix for the diaphram rod linkage that gets worn away?
What about basic turbo rebuilds?

I've looked at a number of places (ebay and others) for turbo rebuild kits, new/replacement parts and other ways to do some maintenance on the turbo. I'm at 165K and the turbo has had some hiccups lately. Stalling, hesitating, codes for Map/O2 sensors not reading right and I think it is all to do with turbo running a bit "loose". I'm looking to replace and check the diaphram as well as the linkage and maybe check the impeller and other parts.

The only things I have found are used turbos online from a wrecked RDX, usually with high mileage, some local turbo re-builders, and some generic rebuild kits online. $450 for a used turbo, $400 for a rebuilt, or $150 for a generic kit all seem like poor choices. Anyone found anything better?

I'm familiar with the other thread but wanted to start a new one with any fixes that anyone may have found
Link: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...oblems-861782/

I'm going to check and see if I can get some specs of the linkage hole that wears out and see if a friend of mine can make something close. I have no idea of specs and welcome any help.
edit for pic:

Last edited by OhRDX; 09-12-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
I recall that recently member KenB350z recommended a top notch place for rebuilding these. If anyone would know, it would be him.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still stuck in this situation... been calling Blouch and Tim's turbos - they've both been helpful, but...

since my issue is a P0234, related to wastegate actuator, Tim says that it's possible he can't rebuild it if it really is the actuator that's gone... so my fear is that I ask a mechanic to take the turbo out, send it to tim/blouch for a rebuild, they say it's the actuator and they can't rebuild, they send it back; my mechanic puts the turbo back in... and now I'm out $400 with the same exact busted turbo in my car..... ugh
Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny ths just popped back up after so long.
I just spent 3 hours in the garage taking the turbo out of mine and wanted to see if anyone had found anything new.

I also talked to Bloush -hard to get ahold of- and they recommended I either have them do a total rebuild (waiting on a cost estimate) or buy a used one from a junk-yard.
I should finish up getting the turbo out tomorrow and I'll start making a plan. Stupid bolt underneath the downpipe.........
Old 06-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
If that's your exact part right there, already removed, a couple DIYers have come up with solutions such as welding washers to having a whole new bolt machined. Check out the post (and entire thread, really) linked below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-.../#post16252816

Search this Thread