Check Transmission Light and Blinking "D"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check Transmission Light and Blinking "D"

I was wondering if anyone can help. My CHECK TRANSMISSION light came on and the green D is blinking. I took it to the dealer when it first happened in May, he put 3 qts. of transmission fluid in, and light went off, until a few weeks ago. I took it to my mechanic, he said he couldn't find any codes indicating a problem. Light went off for a few weeks, then came back on last week, right around the same time my AC Compressor went. Had that fixed yesterday ($854), but again mechanic didn't see anything wrong with the transmission. I thought that would be the end of the light, but it came back on today. Anyone else have this problem? Car is running great otherwise. I have no clue, hopefully someone on here can offer some suggestions. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by joanhoner:
mamiplus3 (08-17-2019), Mikeken1967 (12-28-2021)
Old 09-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi Joanhoner,

Welcome to the forum. To better help, can you give more details about the car? Any symptoms of transmission issues besides the blinking? Have you checked to see if the transmission oil is low (using the dipstick found on the lower left (driver side)? Did the dealer mention how you lost 3 qts of transmission fluid the last time this happened, as I've never heard of the RDX transmission burning ATF fluid?

Model year?
SH-AWD?
When was the last time you changed the tranny, (if SH-AWD) transfer case, and (if SH-AWD) differential fluid?

This should help anyone looking into the thread narrow down some possible problems.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Looks like you may share similar issues as described here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3EV69...ore=automotive

If so, looks like its a simple 15 minute job and ~$30 fix.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear

Hi CrAzYNeSs....No, no transmission issues besides the blinking D and Check Transmission light on. Transmission fluid level is good. It is a 2009, SH-AWD. I never had the transfer case changed. I'm not sure if I have ever had the differential fluid changed, I'll have to check my records. I have 74,000 miles on it. I'm good with getting it oil changes every time I get to 15% oil life. I haven't had any major issues up to now, just oil changes, breaks and tires. Ugh, hope it's nothing major!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^i wonder why the dealer added 3 quarts of transmission fluid, via your Original post....

was the transmission low on fluid????
Old 09-09-2016, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know, he didn't say. But after he added it, the light was gone for 3 months. But now it's back.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by joanhoner
I don't know, he didn't say. But after he added it, the light was gone for 3 months. But now it's back.
if he added 3 quarts because it was fluid was low, damage could have already been done. because of the starvation of fluid

if he added 3 quarts without checking and over filled the tranny, damage can be done...

so my advice to you; is to check the tranny fluid to make sure it's at the correct level. you could even change the fluid, as fluid wears over time...
once you do these things and the light is still on, I would change the pressure sensor that was linked ^above

Last edited by justnspace; 09-09-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Yea, justnspace is right. Check the level of the tranny fluid first. I'm not sure about your level of expertise when working with cars, but its a fairly simple process.
  1. Make sure you are parked on level ground (not a slope surface)
  2. Pull transmission dipstick out
  3. Clean the stick with a heavy duty napkin (i.e. Bounty)
  4. Drop it back in
  5. Pull it back out
  6. See how high the oil has touched the dipstick on the X's.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 and recheck to make sure.
Now one of three scenarios:
  • If its way above the highest X, make sure you saved that invoice (scan it and obtain a soft copy too) where the Acura dealership dropped in 3qts of oil, as that is your proof that they overfilled it and cause damage to your transmission.
  • If its under the lowest X, you need to find out why you are losing automatic transmission fluid (ATF)
  • Its its within specifications (between highest and lowest X), then buy the transmission pressure switches like I pointed out in the 2nd post. Most common issue that I see if for gears 3 & 4. Part number is as follows: 28600-RAY-003 (newer part no: 28600-RKE-004) and 28610-RAY-013 (newer part no: 28610-RKE-004)

Please let us know what you find. As people have said, the 1st generation RDX transmission is pretty beefy, so unless your mechanic or someone really screwed it up, they're simple remedies to these issues.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar issue just repaired

Originally Posted by joanhoner
I was wondering if anyone can help. My CHECK TRANSMISSION light came on and the green D is blinking. I took it to the dealer when it first happened in May, he put 3 qts. of transmission fluid in, and light went off, until a few weeks ago. I took it to my mechanic, he said he couldn't find any codes indicating a problem. Light went off for a few weeks, then came back on last week, right around the same time my AC Compressor went. Had that fixed yesterday ($854), but again mechanic didn't see anything wrong with the transmission. I thought that would be the end of the light, but it came back on today. Anyone else have this problem? Car is running great otherwise. I have no clue, hopefully someone on here can offer some suggestions. Thanks!
I had a similar issue where the transmission problem and blind spot warning lights were on. It happed after backing up for a long distance. My wife who had never driven the car before had a hard time putting it into reverse but finally managed. Immediately after I took over the wheel, I noticed all these lights. I took it in for service and immediately the service manager told me it was probably debris that entered into a small opening in the console where the reverse button was. He said that debris gets in there preventing the button from fully returning to its resting position. He was right. They found a small plastic diamond in there from a kids costume. After removal, all the lights went off. No charge! Apparently this is a very common issue. So before anything else, I would suggest that you have this area checked and cleaned if necessary. By the way, I keep my car immaculate inside, so this is not due to messy drivers if you will. They need to put a screen in the opening to prevent debris from entering.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

trans fluid loss.

This link discusses the replacement of certain switches that may remedy the flashing D and the trans warning light but, I cant see how it addresses the fluid loss, especially 3 qts.

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
Looks like you may share slimilar issues as described here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3EV69...ore=automotive

If so, looks like its a simple 15 minute job and ~$30 fix.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 PM
7th Gear

Unhappy 2007 acura rdx turbo sh-awd check transmission and blinking d

I have a 2007 acura rdx and i was driving one day, and suddenly i reversed and a light came on indicating to check my transmission and the Green D symbol started blinkin , since then i added transmission fluid, with took the light off for about a day or two, and now my car can not go oast the speed of 40mph without kicking back and feeling very uncomfortable. can somebody please help me i am unsure on what to do.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 AM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Do a full transmission, transfer case, & rear differential fluid flushes.

Then have the transmission pressure switch and fuses checked.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Acura TL transmission problem

I have a 2013 Acura TL base I'm having a transmission issue where the car is telling me check transmission and check emission and "D" is blinking and wont go into revers the car only has 45k only the strange thing is that it happens out of nowhere so one day its normal and shift good revers works and out of nowhere it jumps when i put it in Drive and wont go into revers anybody had this happen to them
The following users liked this post:
mamiplus3 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear

Blinking D light

I am currently having this same problem. It's hard to put in gear, especially reverse. I have been putting transmission fluid in little by little for the past 2 weeks. Not filling it up completely, I get scared thinking I will overfill it. So I'm going to go down a d checky fluids, put some more in. Also in on video I saw it said to shift gears so fluid can be transferred to all gears. I'm lost, I'm a single mother and I need help with this please let me know of any suggestions.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

My 2017 Mdc is in dealership as we speak with that transmission fault, flashing D and blindspot light on. I was told to turn car off and on and should disappear. It didn’t. One week later, it did, just randomly. Then on again for 2 weeks. Upon driving, reverse gear got stuck and car did not move. I turned it off and on again, and ok. Had roadside pick it up. Dealer now saying the panel where gearshift is, is dirty and this caused the issue because some code “@$&+&664*&”
showed so. Not on warranty. This my 5th least Acura MDX. My previous was identical gearshift and kids stuff/ coffee spilled and no problem. Now, 41,000 km and “dirt” in gear click apparatus caused huge transmission issue. Does this sound reasonable? This car has normal wear and is leased. This is NOT covered by warranty and I have to pay for it. It is 2 years old!!!! Where are these parts being made and why so cheaply that dust and moisture can ruin a transmission.. Help, what to do
Old 10-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Mine was the range sensor.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

Blinking. D light...transmossion oil temp semsot

[QUOTE=joanhoner;15844961]I was wondering if anyone can help. My CHECK TRANSMISSION light came on and the green D is blinking. I took it to the dealer when it first happened in May, he put 3 qts. of transmission fluid in, and light went off, until a few weeks ago. I took it to my mechanic, he said he couldn't find any codes indicating a problem. Light went off for a few weeks, then came back on last week, right around the same time my AC Compressor went. Had that fixed yesterday ($854), but again mechanic didn't see anything wrong with the transmission. I thought that would be the end of the light, but it came back on today. Anyone else have this problem? Car is running great otherwise. I have no clue, hopefully someone on here can offer some suggestions. Thanks![/QUOTE
Old 01-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Please provide more information. What year, how many miles, dates of last coolant flush and transmission service? Did you do any diagnostics back in May to determine why you were 3 quarts low on transmission fluid? That...should never happen. Definitely recommend checking the coolant and tranny fluid to see if either are low, and if there is any evidence of the fluids mixing. There are cases where the radiator fails internally and allows the transmission fluid and coolant to mix - this can be much more common when coolant is not changed according to the manufacturer's recommended interval.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:46 PM
7th Gear

Check transmission light blinking d

I have a 2007 Acura RDX I recently changed the transfer case fluid, the transmission fluid, and the oil and filter change, now my vehicle is running rich and it’s telling me to check the transmission and the D is blinking, when I shift into drive it takes a while to do so and it rides sooooo rough and it doesn’t even read the Reverse or if it does I have to change gears and come back to it for it to reverse. I also had the transmission safety switch replaced less than a year ago. Can some body plzzzzzzz help me
Old 06-13-2020, 09:20 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Is your range sensor good?
Old 06-13-2020, 09:23 PM
7th Gear

It should be

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Is your range sensor good?
Honestly it should be, is there a way I can check ? I attempted to put it on and when I did I ended up putting it wrong so I called a mechanic to come fix it and he put it on properly and I haven’t had any problems since then till recently that’s I changed my transmission fluid. What you think pops🤔
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 AM

it's crazy to read instances where people are adding transmission fluid without measuring it before hand.
that's a recipe for an overfill condition.