Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
WARRANTY EXTENSION: A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH

SERVICE CAMPAIGN BULLETIN

Reference Number(s): 12-039, Date of Issue: November 2, 2012

ACURA: 2007-12 RDX
CATEGORY: Heater/Air Conditioning
APPLIES TO: 2007-12 RDX - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

BACKGROUND

The A/C compressor clutch wears out, causing one or more of the following symptoms:
•The A/C performance is poor and it blows air that isn't very cold.
•The A/C doesn't work or blows warm air.
•The A/C makes noise that seems to come from the compressor area.

American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C compressor clutch to 7 years from the original date of purchase or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state's law.

CLIENT NOTIFICATION

Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification of this warranty extension starting in November 2012. An example of the client notification is included at the end of this service bulletin

Before doing work on a vehicle, verify its eligibility by doing an iN VIN status inquiry.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the A/C compressor clutch (armature plate and rotor pulley) and, if needed, also replace the field coil.

PARTS INFORMATION

A/C Compressor Clutch Kit: P/N 38900-RWC-A04

A/C Compressor Field Coil Set

P/N 38924-RWC-A01 (2007-09 model year)

P/N 38924-RWC-A02 (2010-12 model year)

REQUIRED SPECIAL TOOLS

A/C Compressor Repair Kit: T/N 07AAF-000A150

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

OP#

Description

FRT

6141B9 Inspect and replace the A/C compressor clutch. 1.3
A Replace the field coil. 0.1

Failed Part: P/N 38900-RWC-A04

Defect Code: 5F100

Symptom Code: S5800

Skill Level: Repair Technician

INSPECTION PROCEDURE
1.Check for signs that the armature plate was burned, such as discoloration and blistering, or for any other signs of damage.•If there is no damage to the armature plate, go to step 2.
•If the armature plate has any damage, go to step 2.
NOTE: You must do steps 1 and 2 of the inspection procedure to properly diagnose the A/C clutch and armature.

G08265977

G08265978

G08265979

1.Check the clutch clearance between the rotor pulley and the armature plate by trying to insert a 0.027 in. (0.66 mm) feeler gauge in different places all the way around the armature plate. The proper clearance should be between 0.014-0.026 in. (0.35-0.65 mm) .
NOTE: •Make sure you measure all the way around the armature plate because the back of the armature may wear unevenly; some areas may be within spec, while others are not.
•If the clearance is close to the maximum, the clutch makes an engagement noise that may be the source of the client's complaint.

G08265980

•If the armature surface has no damage or discoloration and the feeler gauge does not fit into the clutch clearance area , this bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal troubleshooting.
•If the armature surface has any damage and the feeler gauge fits (about 1/8 in. or 3 mm) into the clutch clearance area , the A/C compressor clutch is damaged. Go to next step.

2.Measure the field coil resistance. For more information about checking the resistance, refer to the Tech2Tech segment titled Noise under the Hood, A/C Not Working Right? Check the Compressor Clutch First .

G00376261 To view the multimedia example of the condition described go to;
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mitchell1Tips
then type, "Noise under the Hood" into the "Search Channel" box.

Field coil resistance specification:

'07-09 models: 3.15-3.45 ohms at 68 °F (20 °C)

'10-12 models: 3.35-3.65 ohms at 68 °F (20 °C)
•If the field coil resistance is within spec, only the A/C compressor clutch needs to be replaced . Go to

2.•REPAIR PROCEDURE .
•If the field coil resistance is not within spec, replace the A/C compressor clutch and the field coil . Go to REPAIR PROCEDURE .

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1.Raise the vehicle on a lift, and remove the right front wheel.
2.Remove the front splash shield.

G08265981

3.Remove the drive belt.

G08265982

4.Move the power steering hose by removing the clamps, then lift it up out of the way.

G08265983

5.Disconnect the A/C compressor connector.

G08265984

6.Remove the four mounting bolts holding the compressor on the engine.
NOTE: Do not remove the compressor.

G08265985

7.Unbolt the compressor bracket from the engine block, and move it out of your way.
8.Carefully angle the compressor as shown below and support it with a wooden block.
NOTE: Make sure that you don't damage or stress the compressor coolant lines.

G08265986

9.Using the A/C clutch holder, remove the center armature plate nut. For more information about removing the A/C compressor clutch, refer to the Tech2Tech segment titled Safely Remove That Rotor Pulley with the A/C Compressor Kit .

G00376261 To view the multimedia example of the condition described go to;
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mitchell1Tips
then type, "Safely Remove That Rotor Pulley" into the "Search Channel" box.

G08265987

10.Remove the armature plate and the shim(s).
11.Remove the rotor pulley (A/C clutch).•Remove the snap ring.
•Remove the rotor pulley. If it does not come out easily, use a commercially available rotor pulley removing tool. Do not hammer or pry on the rotor pulley because you can damage the A/C compressor.
•If you are replacing the field coil, go to step 12.
•If you are not replacing the field coil, go to step 14.

G08265988

12.Remove the field coil.•Remove the bolt and the field coil ground, then disconnect the field coil connector.
•Remove the snap ring, then remove the field coil. Be careful not to damage the field coil and A/C compressor.

G08265989

13.Install the new field coil on the compressor with a new snap ring, and note the following:•Install the field coil with the wire side facing down, and align the boss on the field coil with the hole in the A/C compressor.
•Clean the rotor pulley and A/C compressor sliding surfaces with contact cleaner or other non-petroleum solvent.
•Measure and confirm that the new field coil has the proper resistance.
Field coil resistance specification:

'07-09 models: 3.15-3.45 ohms at 68°F (20°C)

'10-12 models: 3.35-3.65 ohms at 68°F (20°C)

•Note the installation direction of the new snap ring, and make sure it is fully seated in the groove.
•Route and clamp the ground wire properly to prevent the field coil from being damaged by the rotor pulley.

14.Install a new rotor pulley (A/C clutch) on the A/C compressor with a new snap ring.
1.Check for proper clearance between the armature plate and the rotor pulley (A/C clutch):•Place 1 mm of shims on the A/C compressor shaft.
•Install the armature plate and the center armature plate nut. Torque the nut to 25.5 N.m (18.8 lb-ft) .
•Measure the clearance between the rotor pulley and the armature plate all the way around. If the clearance is not within 0.35-0.65 mm (0.0138-0.0256 in.), remove or add shims as needed.
NOTE: Try to set the clearance in the middle of the spec. If the clearance is close to the maximum, the clutch could make an engagement noise leading to a comeback.

G08265990

2.Reinstall the armature plate and the center nut. Torque the nut to 25.5 N.m (18.8 lb-ft) .
3.Reconnect the A/C compressor connector.
4.Reinstall the compressor bracket.
5.Reinstall the compressor with the four mounting bolts.
6.Reinstall the drive belt, the front splash shield, and the wheel.
7.Seat the clutch by start the engine and running it at 1,500-2,000 rpm. Set the climate control temperature to Lo with the A/C button ON until he clutch cycles about 20 times.

EXAMPLE OF CLIENT LETTER

November 2012

Warranty Extension: A/C Clutch

Dear RDX Owner:

This letter is to notify you of a warranty extension on your RDX.

What is the reason for this notice?

The A/C clutch wears out causing one or more of the following symptoms:
•The A/C performance is poor and it's blowing air that isn't very cold.
•The A/C doesn't work and blows warm air.
•The A/C is making noise; often heard as a hard-to-pinpoint noise from the drive belt area.

To increase confidence in your vehicle, American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C clutch to 7 years from the original date of purchase or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This warranty extension provides coverage for the original owner and any subsequent owners. No action is required on your part unless you experience a problem. The warranty extension is valid except for any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded, or similar title under any state's law.

What should you do?

If your vehicle is experiencing any of the listed symptoms, call any authorized Acura dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. If the symptom is caused by a worn A/C clutch, the A/C clutch and, if needed, the field coil will be replaced at no cost. Please plan to leave your vehicle for a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error

Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a 2007-12 RDX involved in this warranty extension. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is not correct, please complete and sign the Information Change Card and return it in the enclosed postage-paid envelope. We will then update our records.

If you previously paid to have your A/C compressor clutch replaced because your A/C system experienced one of the listed symptoms, you may be eligible for reimbursement, even if you no longer own the vehicle. Refer to the attached Instructions for Reimbursement form for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

Lessor Information

If you are the vehicle lessor receiving this warranty extension notice, please forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days.

If you have questions

If you have any questions about this notice, or need assistance with locating an Acura dealer, please call Acura Client Relations at 1-800-382-2238, and select option 4. US clients can also locate a dealer online at my Acura.com. Clients in US territories, please contact your local dealer/distributor.

We apologize for any inconvenience this warranty extension may cause you.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Acura Automobile Division
The following 3 users liked this post by littleblazer:
bg905 (06-06-2013), guavatone (04-23-2014), soxfan317 (12-11-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.askatech.com/AskATechLive...geid=G08265977
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by littleblazer
What is this? it tried to download a file to my PC harddrive, which my security software blocked.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had my A/C clutch repaired on Monday because my RDX's A/C started to make a noisy "hooptie ride" clunking/chugging sound over the weekend (+89,000 on RDX). I thought I even saw an extremely light whiff of smoke coming out from under the hood when stopped at a light. I could not see or smell anything when I pulled over to check it out. The A/C was running fine prior to that weekend (temps only been in the 60s/70s).

I don't think they did anything else other than replace parts. The RDX's A/C works pretty well; but, not as well as my TSX. I figured it was because of the RDX trying to cool a larger volume and having bigger windows. I think I can chill a beer in my TSX if I place it next to the vent.
The following users liked this post:
guavatone (04-23-2014)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
guess you don't have to stop for ice... lol
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Switched out the AC relays with another relay of the same type and the AC began to work abain when I shanged the second snow flake (AC) designated relay. Figured it was the one in the two relay row of the underdash fuse box. Put everything back in place and the AC now works without a new relay. I guess switching them out removed some corrosion on the contact surfaces and it now works again.
The following 2 users liked this post by fdabill:
guavatone (04-23-2014), KayDen (05-13-2022)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a way to check the status of this warranty reimbursement online? It's been a while since I sent in my forms and haven't heard a peep about anything.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Cruisin'

Wow, great info. My A/c started doing this last week in some high temps. I'm at 107XXX miles, so gonna check the tolerance and fix it myself, if it is out of spec.
Thanks for the great info!
-Joshua
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

A/C not working

Thanks to bit359 posting. My wife's 2008 MDX A/C was working Intermittently. It Would blow warm air no matter what the temp was set to, then suddenly it would cool as it should. The compressor clutch would engage sometimes and the cooling fans would come on, and then the clutch would disengage and the fans would slow way down. I swapped one of the AC relays, closest to the passenger side of the car with the head light or fog light relay.(the numbers on them are the same) The thing started cooling. I drove it to the Acura Dealer to get a replacement relay because they had told me there was a service bulletin about the AC relay and that the one I was going to get from Honda for $10.00 would probably fail again. So the Acura Relay Part# 39794-SDA-A05 listed for $32.58, but he sold it to me for $24.00 and gave me a copy of the service bulletin #11-031 regarding the relay. (the old Defective relay made by OMRON made in the USA, the new one made in Vietnam!) I drove back home with the new relay and the AC is working great.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jack1454
... and gave me a copy of the service bulletin #11-031 regarding the relay. ...
Thanks, I want to read that.

... they had told me ... that the one [relay] I was going to get from Honda for $10.00 would probably fail again. So the Acura Relay Part# 39794-SDA-A05 listed for $32.58, but he sold it to me for $24.00 ...
I find this confusing, if the Honda and Acura part numbers are the same. Not confused that the prices are different, but that the parts are actually different. And I do not mean different manufacturers necessarily, although I would find that surprising, unless the Honda part is 'old' stock, and the Acura part is 'new' replacement stock. Perhaps that is what the Service Bulletin discusses - so I guess I need to read it before further comments.

... So the Acura Relay Part# 39794-SDA-A05 listed for $32.58, but he sold it to me for $24.00 ...
When I looked up this part number, it is listed *only* for the 10-13 year RDX, but not for the 07-09 year RDX. I would suggest that before anyone simply orders (or buys) this part, to check for the correct part number for your own year of RDX. And BTW, the DelRay online site lists the retail price for this part as $27 and the discount price as $20.
---eof
Old 06-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Burning Brakes

... My wife's 2008 MDX A/C was working Intermittently. ... Acura Relay Part# 39794-SDA-A05 ... service bulletin #11-031 regarding the relay. ... new relay and the AC is working great.
Well, now I understand - when I first read the above post, I did not note that it referenced an MDX rather than an RDX AC system. The TSB number applies to the MDX, so I am uncertain if this information is useful for an RDX. The TSB refers to the AC clutch relay.

Apparantly the original MDX p/n is 39794-SDA-A03 and the new part number is 39794-SDA-A05. Please note the very small difference in the two part numbers.

The A03 number does fit the 07-09 RDX models, but since the A05 number fits the 10-13 RDX models, perhaps the A05 relay is an upgrade, that would work for the 07-09 RDX models??

Anyway, for those who want to read the TSB for themselves, here is a link:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728064

A last thought: there are several relays in my RDX, with the A03 part number. I wonder if the relays, other than the AC clutch relay, should also be replaced? are those other relays likely to also fail? I wonder.

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-09-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

... My wife's 2008 MDX A/C was working Intermittently. ... the Acura Dealer ... told me there was a service bulletin about the AC relay ... Acura Relay Part# 39794-SDA-A05 listed for $32.58, but he sold it to me for $24.00 and gave me a copy of the service bulletin #11-031 regarding the relay. ...
OK, I read the service bulletin, discussed it with both my local Acura dealers - both dealer service depts are using the upgraded relay nnn-A05 in the A/C clutch position for all later model Acuras.

I installed the upgraded relay in my 2009 RDX for preventative purposes. Read more about the service bulletin, and my relay change, here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890420
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
9th Gear

I had a similar issue, i took it to te dealer and they said i blew the a/c clutch out, sorry if this was already said
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone have the opposite issue...no heat? AC blows cold but we have no heat. Couldn't find any threads in here with a similar issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toda Taxi
Anyone have the opposite issue...no heat? AC blows cold but we have no heat. Couldn't find any threads in here with a similar issue.
Start a new thread when you have a different question, you will get more responses - or at least post into a more related thread - perhaps your heater hose valve is frozen closed, or the associated cable and linkage is not working? there are a number of other possibilities.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a quick fix!

I had the same problem a lot of other people have been having with the a/c deciding when and when not to work. Just a question...have you had to jump start your car anytime shortly before that? I'm not a mechanic but just a technology person. I noticed that this problem occurred shortly after my car had been detailed and the battery went dead while being dead as it was open for six hours. I took it to a shop to have the a/c system checked and charged thinking it was a freon problem. After much research on the Internet I found out that most of the people that were having the same issue came down to a relay. My husband took the black relays out...not the colored ones and went to find replacements. Never found them in my area (Dallas, TX) but the relays were out for at least 30 minutes. He put the relays back in to use the car the next day and A/C is working great! I think it is just a reset problem! Try it! What do you have to loose and won't cost you a dime!
KayDen (05-13-2022)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjenkins76
... took the black relays out... Never found them in my area (Dallas, TX) ...
Relays are available at any Acura/ Honda dealer, and most auto parts stores.

... put the relays back in to use the car the next day and A/C is working great! ...
Which can happen even if the AC clutch relay is frozen closed.

... I think it is just a reset problem! Try it! What do you have to loose ...
Relays don't reset - and what you have to lose is a burned out AC clutch or compressor. If the AC clutch relay has frozen closed, then eventually the compressor will overheat and vent the freon, then the compressor burns out.

Not saying that *will* happen, just that it *can* happen. It is best to diagnose the actual problem and repair it. For more info, check the link in my post a couple of posts above, concerning the AC clutch relay. A bad clutch relay is a known problem.

Of course, your problem may be something else - but you won't know until it is properly diagnosed.

Last edited by dcmodels; 07-30-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have an 2007 RDX with 150K km, and our A/C would blow warm air after a day in the sun. If you turn off, wait, then turn back on the A/C several times, it will eventually start blowing cool air. Went to our dealer (Burrard Acura) and they also know about the service bulletin and proceeded to replace the A/C Clutch and/or Compressor under warranty. Thank goodness I was below the 160K km limit on the warranty.

I must say, our dealer (Burrard Acura) did a splendid job, they even gave me a loaner car for the day (a brand new 2014 TL - what a great car !!). I think they are indirectly trying to sell me a new TL... :-)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I had the same problem a lot of other people have been having with the a/c deciding when and when not to work. Just a question...have you had to jump start your car anytime shortly before that? I'm not a mechanic but just a technology person. I noticed that this problem occurred shortly after my car had been detailed and the battery went dead while being dead as it was open for six hours. I took it to a shop to have the a/c system checked and charged thinking it was a freon problem. After much research on the Internet I found out that most of the people that were having the same issue came down to a relay. My husband took the black relays out...not the colored ones and went to find replacements. Never found them in my area (Dallas, TX) but the relays were out for at least 30 minutes. He put the relays back in to use the car the next day and A/C is working great! I think it is just a reset problem! Try it! What do you have to loose and won't cost you a dime!
Wow, great story...you are lucky!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM
mrgold35

My A/C clutch went out yesterday. I just had it repaired under the extended warranty a few months ago in May. The A/C was acting intermittently a few day before; but, not enough to take directly to the shop. The wife was driving after work and the A/C clutch made a loud clanging sound and the clutch just fell off the RDX in the middle of the street. All I see now is a bolt sticking out of the middle of the compressor and it is broken half way down the threads.

the RDX is at Acura right now; still expecting to be covered by the warranty.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM
mrgold35

****UPDATE*****

Turned out the A/C compressor seized up which caused the A/C clutch to fall apart. The service manager was able to work his magic and have Acura cover the new A/C compressor under the original A/C clutch extended warranty. Hopefully, this should take care of me until I sell the RDX +60,000 additional miles down the road (I have +96,000 miles now). I was really worried Acura would not cover the A/C.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
... Turned out the A/C compressor seized up which caused the A/C clutch to fall apart. ... and have Acura cover the new A/C compressor under the original A/C clutch extended warranty. ...
Often when a compressor fails, it spreads damaged metal throughout the system. Google A/C black-death.

The extended warranty is not just for the A/C clutch, but the entire compressor assembly, including the clutch - for others reading this thread.

Did you have any parts other than the compressor replaced? at least a new accumulator/ drier? did the dealer check for any damage to other parts of the system?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

Talking Lobo

I just wanted to jump back on here and say THANK YOU! I love Acura, have had 3 now, and the community is SO banging!
I am part of the recall/service for the AC. Whoever posted this, THANK YOU. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I had a quote of 1200 bucks. I owe you a beer...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by littleblazer
Littleblazer: you ARE spot on! Everytime I read one of your posts, it helps. I've been on here a while (months surfing) but your solution (posting the service bulletin for the AC) saved me allot of money. I had to join and personally thank you. THANKS!
JCash23 (09-10-2022)
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Lobo160
I just wanted to jump back on here and say THANK YOU! I love Acura, have had 3 now, and the community is SO banging!
I am part of the recall/service for the AC. Whoever posted this, THANK YOU. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I had a quote of 1200 bucks. I owe you a beer...
Since blazer hasn't replied, I'll drink that beer for him...
Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the post about removing the spacer washer. My clutch was very noisy but still working. I pulled the spacer washer out and now it's working silently. Pretty easy to do but I bent the armature a little getting it off. I bent it back to and everything works fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Just a quick thanks to the forum for the info.

A/C was not working. Figured it was out of freon. After reading thought it was compressor/clutch, but after reading more checked the relay.

$6.00 got my A/C working again. I breath of fresh air after preparing myself for a day in the garage plus $200+ in parts for new compressor/clutch.

It still makes a bit of noise so I will check the spacer when I get more time, but being able to get cold air on with a quick fix was great!

I'll attack the other part when I get more time.

Go AZ!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks sooo much for doing all this legwork on this problem. I just had my tires replaced and noticed no AC and a hissing sound. I tested the relay with DMM, one pair had 70 Ohms and the other pair of contacts showed Open. I ordered the replacement on amazon here:

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 39794-SDA-A05 Power Relay Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 39794-SDA-A05 Power Relay Assembly: Automotive

seems we are all having this problem at about the same time.....

Now I have the check emissions error light on from the relay swap. Any easy way to reset that message?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
got it here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-problems-fixes-160/reset-check-emissions-light-861439/
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guavatone
tested the relay with DMM, one pair had 70 Ohms and the other pair of contacts showed Open. ...
Its a relay - one pair of contacts is supposed to be OPEN unless the relay is powered up. How did you test?

And if you heard a hissing sound, then part of the freon has been vented, and you may wish to have the A/C system refilled, or at least checked for a full charge.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Intermediate

I just took my RDX to the dealer last week, and hustled them to replace the A/C compressor clutch, field coil and the compressor all for $315 and I was out of warranty by a longshot.

Just make nice with the service manager and say how much you love your Acura!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

I got a letter from Acura last summer extending the warranty on the air conditioner compressor to 160 000 km/6 year warranty. This is a known problem hence acura extended the warranty. One would hope it is the same in the USA. I can show you the letter if you want to ask your dealer.

Last edited by freddieb; 05-03-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: needed to add information
Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone hv the same issue after getting it fixed by the recall??.. Mine was replaced in Jun 2013 & I'm getting the same issue again... Dealer said only a 6 mth warranty was covered under recall?!...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

My AC on my 2008 Acura RDX stopped working-after reading all the posts I checked the relay switches by rotating them and AC immediately started working! You guys saved me I'm sure lots of money by doing this myself-relay switch was 14 dollars at auto zone!!
Thanks Everyone!
Debbie-Yes a Woman!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey guys , my wifes rdx ac seems to not be cooling well, made an appoint with Acura and mentioned service bulletin , said they would have to charge 1 hour diagnostic 120 - and if issue is from the service bulletin they would roll cost into that under warranty.

Anyone else get charged the 1 hour diagnostic fee?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear

Yes. I got charged to diagnose. Same exact problem like many on this thread. 2008 RDX bad A/C compressor relay. Dealer in Fort Lauderdale, FL charged $321.82 (Also included "A/C service")
Stupid of me to not come on here first. I got screwed bad.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Same issue as everyone on this thread: intermittent A/C problems. RDX 2008, 60K miles. Started last year. This year, Freon was completely out. Refilled Freon at Pep Boys, but then A/C would sometimes blow hot air, sometimes cool it just a little. Subsequently, Pep Boys couldn't diagnose, said everything was fine, no leaks, pressure OK.

All dealers want to charge the diagnostics fee -- $100 in my case, NYC area. Talked to Acura Corporate -- no luck. They won't let me use a 3rd party shop and apply for reimbursement if the problem is related to the recall.

I ordered a couple of replacement relays on Amazon (Omron, $12 for both with shipping). If that doesn't help, I'll go to a dealer and report.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
Its a relay - one pair of contacts is supposed to be OPEN unless the relay is powered up. How did you test?

And if you heard a hissing sound, then part of the freon has been vented, and you may wish to have the A/C system refilled, or at least checked for a full charge.

I have the hissing should when the car shuts off lasts for a few minutes, bringing it in the Acura dealer for diagnostics . seems to not cool as much when at idle. Hoping to get covered under warranty but not sure.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Omron Relay

Just got the relays from Amazon. Same marking (Omron G8HL-H71), but they have ridges on both sides, while the original has it on only one side (and there is a corresponding groove in its socket in the fuse box). Filed off the extra ridges... put both relays in. At least that didn't make things worse.

Does anyone know what's up with the different number of ridges? I couldn't find any info on the Web...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For everyone with this issue... Honda/Acura Warranty Extension

FOR EVERYONE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE!
Honda/Acura extended the warranty on the A/C compressor Clutch for this issue.
The clutch slips and overheats and eventually begins to fail, untill complete failure. Bring to your dealer for a free replacement UNDER WARRANTY...They extended warranty to 7yrs or 100,000 mi from date of original purchase. Doesnt matter if you are original owner or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C not working