A/C doesn't work...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A/C doesn't work...sometimes

Folks,
My wife has a 2007 RDX that is giving her strange A/C issues. The A/C seems to work sporadically and I think I've narrowed down when it fails.
If the engine is cold, the A/C works fine and continues to work fine. If the engine is up to operating temp and I start the engine that way, the A/C won't come on. It blows hot air.

Typically she only drives her car to/from work so she rarely has run into this issue.

I've had to drive her car that last few days so I've noticed the issue. For example, I got into the car on a blazing hot day (with the engine cold) and the A/C started up and put out ice cold air. I stopped about 30 mins later at the supermarket and when I got back in no A/C. Just hot air. I noticed this pattern again today. Drove the car to lunch. A/C was fine. After the quick lunch the car had no A/C.

I had seen a thread which speculated that the relays might be bad. I replaced 2 relays that appear to be A/C related. (Had a snowflake on the "map") I replaced the two black relays in the picture. And I also swapped the green ones with each other.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails A/C doesn't work...sometimes-0717161646.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you point out in the picture you posted, which relays you replaced? I see four black relays in the picture. Were they replaced with brand new relays from Acura?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aaron Bains
Can you point out in the picture you posted, which relays you replaced? I see four black relays in the picture. Were they replaced with brand new relays from Acura?
Aaron, thanks for the response. I replaced the two in the middle row. On opposite sides on the green relays. I replaced them with relays I got from Autozone. They looked up the part in their computer and gave me a pair. (my guess is that they are comparable to the original relays 39794-SDA-A03 and not the upgraded relay)

I have since ordered the upgraded Honda relay from Amazon. (39794-SDA-A05...arriving today). I am going to replace the one in middle row that is closest to the front of the car (one that I had already replaced). From a thread I saw on here, that is the one that should be upgraded. I am not too sure this will do anything as the relays that I replaced the originals with seem to be exhibiting the exact same problem. (Intermittently working)

When I replaced the relays (two days ago) the A/C still wouldn't come up for the next few hours. But my wife told me that yesterday she made a couple of stops after work and the A/C worked each time. (So my theory about the engine being up to operating temp might not hold up) So I am going to go back to saying that this problem is intermittent.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

Okay good, you have replaced the correct relay. Assuming your relays are good and that your AC system is charged, since you said it comes on intermittently (the AC wont work at all if its not charged to the correct pressure). That leads me to point to the AC compressor clutch not engaging when the relay sends power to the compressor. The clutch should engage and spin with the compressor pulley every time you press the AC button inside the cabin. There is a TSB for this, I think I have the exact same issue. See the link below.

http://acura-club.net/index.php?act=...e=post&id=6718
The following users liked this post:
Thyng (09-08-2017)
Old 07-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aaron Bains
Okay good, you have replaced the correct relay. Assuming your relays are good and that your AC system is charged, since you said it comes on intermittently (the AC wont work at all if its not charged to the correct pressure). That leads me to point to the AC compressor clutch not engaging when the relay sends power to the compressor. The clutch should engage and spin with the compressor pulley every time you press the AC button inside the cabin. There is a TSB for this, I think I have the exact same issue. See the link below.

http://acura-club.net/index.php?act=...e=post&id=6718
Aaron,
Would you (or anyone else) happen to know what the labor time is for this? I looked up the parts and they are a bit over $200. (Not too bad). I asked a local shop about this repair and they said that they'd just replace the compressor (I am assuming that it would come with a new clutch). Ouch, that seems a bit drastic.
I have a cousin who is a mechanic (over 30 years). The shop he works at allows him to work on friends and family cars after hours (but he is about an hour from me). I just don't want to get him involved in a repair that will keep him there for hours. If it is 2 hours or so, I'll ask him. (I'd like to know before I ask because if it is many hours, he is a nice guy and would say yes regardless)

Thanks
My car is a 2007 with 130K miles. I'd imagine I have no chance at getting Acura to "goodwill" this repair.
BUT.....I never got the letter describing the warranty extension. (I was the 2nd owner and bought this car Feb/2011.....so before they sent out the letter)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dinot
Aaron,
Would you (or anyone else) happen to know what the labor time is for this? I looked up the parts and they are a bit over $200. (Not too bad). I asked a local shop about this repair and they said that they'd just replace the compressor (I am assuming that it would come with a new clutch). Ouch, that seems a bit drastic.
I have a cousin who is a mechanic (over 30 years). The shop he works at allows him to work on friends and family cars after hours (but he is about an hour from me). I just don't want to get him involved in a repair that will keep him there for hours. If it is 2 hours or so, I'll ask him. (I'd like to know before I ask because if it is many hours, he is a nice guy and would say yes regardless)

Thanks
My car is a 2007 with 130K miles. I'd imagine I have no chance at getting Acura to "goodwill" this repair.
BUT.....I never got the letter describing the warranty extension. (I was the 2nd owner and bought this car Feb/2011.....so before they sent out the letter)
After seeing the price of the clutch kit $120 I went ahead and paid another $30 for the entire compressor. I go to a friends shop to work on all my cars. This repair took me about 3 hours start to finish. That is a lot of down time waiting for the other guys to stop what they are doing, come show me how to use the AC machine, and come back multiple times. I also somehow got the wire pinched up in the bolt hanger so I basically installed it twice.

I'd say hour and half but part is down time.

The job is roughly 30 minutes to get set up and refrigerant out, 30 minutes to replace condenser, and another 30 bolt back up,refill and check. Not a tough job, just some tedious parts like taking off lower bumper shield, removing belt if solo, etc.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM
10th Gear

You can also just pull the compressor clutch and remove some of the shims between the pulley and the clutch to reduce the gap.

My wife's car is doing the exact same thing...'07 model with 105k miles and I verified that clutch gap was the problem by using a long wooden rod to put pressure on the clutch plate while the compressor was supposed to be on (engine running). After a little bump, it kicked on and stayed on. I have previously replaced the coil on the compressor and recall 2 or 3 shims that were installed to set the clutch gap. This weekend I plan to remove one or more shims and see if that fixes the problem.

NOTE: I don't recommend anyone trying the wooden rod trick due to safety reasons, but if you do decide to do it, take safety precautions (glasses, gloves, etc..)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:08 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compressor costs

Originally Posted by dinot
Aaron,

Thanks
********* I think I have the same problem,Do you know what a mechanic would charge to replace the compressor? mine comes on when you drive it for about 5 min. cold air but the the clutch does not come on but it still worksafter 5 or so min. Thanks