Big time Disaapointment with 2010 after expensive diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Big time Disaapointment with 2010 after expensive diagnosis

Serious Advise Needed RDX Turbo Expensive Diagnosis2010 RDX Turbo with 94,000 miles
Maintenance scheduled followed as per manufacturer recommendations

I am going to thank you ahead of your time for your expertise.! After engaging Turbo to pass vehicle at highway speed, engine Emission System warning light came on and after three days at the Acura dealership this is the diagnosis (as a non mechanical person remembers it)
1. High pressure in cooling system point to a thermostat/water pump issue that may have created a condition that allowed overheating of the engine.
2. This (unnoticed) "overheating"or lack of fluid flow has caused cylinder 4 damage
3. The turbo is not the problem (previous mechanic thought that)
4. The recommended service includes cooling system work (pump, flush and thermostat) and cylinder work
5. The cost $5800

Here is where your feedback is needed
Question 1:
If you were considering also buying a car for your teenage driver (budget <10K) would you:
a. Fix the car and pass it on to your child (what other expenses are coming???)
b. Fix the car and keep it and get your child a KIA
c. Sell the car for what you can get
d. Put a new engine in it

Question 2:
Does the diagnosis and estimate seem to make sense cost wise? What other alternatives are out there to be considered?

Question 3:
Could this car engine's be swapped with that of a CR-V?

Maintenance of this car is by the recommeded schedule so my level of disappointment is high with ACURA right now.

I really appreciate your time and consideration.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
The "cylinder work" they are quoting is likely a machine-honing of the cylinder head as over-heating can cause it to warp and the head gasket will be unable to form a complete seal (causing coolant to leak into cylinder). That said, it could also be that the head is fine and only the gasket needs replacing. They can't really tell without taking the cylinder head off, which I'm sure hasn't been done. I recommend following up with a local Honda/Acura shop instead of the dealership - even if they have to do the same exact repair you were quoted 5800 for, I really don't think it should cost more than 2500-3000 (my opinion, I am also not a mechanic but I've been doing my own work where I can for years). And if your head is undamaged and only need the gasket replaced, should be significantly cheaper (but still a lot of labor cost).

In all honestly, at 94k miles I would look into fixing the car because they do tend to hold up very well. I have a 2010 as well with 110k miles and it is in fantastic shape. Don't be disappointed in Acura - unfortunately one small problem likely occured (low coolant level), and that is what contributed to the rest. Get this issue fixed and the car should run for at least another 150-200k with proper maintenance.

It is definitely important to regularly check the coolant level of these cars - I learned from my mechanic that it is not a fully pressurized system and when the car is running warm for a while (towing, climbing hills, etc), little bits of coolant can vent out through the plastic tank cap. It should be checked and topped off if needed during every oil change.

To answer your last question - no. The engine in the 1G RDX was ONLY used in the 1G RDX and you cannot drop in an engine from a different Honda/Acura model without extensive customization.
The following users liked this post:
Quich (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well the thing is; a car is a machine.. unexpected things can happen and if not caught early....but not trying to beat you up.

question #3: no, the RDX has an engine unique to it's name. NO other Acura in the line up uses a turbo 4 at that time period.

question #2: OF course the price doesn't make sense, you took it to a "stealership".
you could possibly get this work done for cheaper, elsewhere by an independent mechanic

question #1; DEPENDING on how bad the damage is; will dictate your course of action.
The following users liked this post:
Quich (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wonder what led up to this failure.......

For what it's worth, my '09 has over 160k miles and runs/drives/looks fantastic. If I had to, I'd be willing to put a few grand into it to keep it on the road.