2007 RDX intermittent slow crank...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
2007 RDX intermittent slow crank...

My 2007 RDX sometimes cranks slowly... It hasn't done it in over two weeks, but last night, it started very slowly twice, and did not start once and I needed to give it a little gas...

I originally suspected the altinator may be failing a few weeks ago, here's a link to that thread:http://https://acurazine.com/forums/...-dying-947144/

After I dropped my suspicions on the altinator, battery, and starter, I didn't know where to go, and eventually forgot about it, until last night...

It hit me, the engine may not be getting proper fuel or spark...

The engine does idle roughly occasionally and has stalled one before when shifting from park...

Could my spark plugs be done?

I can't check them myself because the intercooler is in the way...

It just makes since to me...

I'm at 181,141 right now, by the way...

No consistent service indications on the MID, other than the uncommon electrical issues I have stated in the original thread...

Any advice or confirmation of suspicions are appreciated...

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Do you have any service history on the car? Plugs should be changed around 100k miles, although they will typically last much longer (at the possible risk of lower power and greater fuel consumption). But at your mileage, if still on OEM plugs...definitely change them.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Do you have any service history on the car? Plugs should be changed around 100k miles, although they will typically last much longer (at the possible risk of lower power and greater fuel consumption). But at your mileage, if still on OEM plugs...definitely change them.
He's getting a relatively painful 12.8 mpg with his rdx. My vote was on the spark plugs as well
Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
can someone tell me where to find the altinator on a car?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
He's getting a relatively painful 12.8 mpg with his rdx. My vote was on the spark plugs as well
Ah, didn't know it was the same guy - I do remember that post. Yeah, definitely start with plugs. Either that or the air filter is covered in plastic wrap.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
can someone tell me where to find the altinator on a car?
Look under the hood on the passenger side of the car with a flashlight. You'll see something resembling the picture below - that's it.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Null and proud of it

Thank you!!!

Just after posting this thread, I saw ETCG was having a live AMA YouTube show, so I also asked him, and he pointed out the battery cables may be inferior causing a voltage drop...

I should have included they're also good...

Now the service advisor told us that just at about 200,000 miles, I'll get a service indication code on the MID...

This will mean the fallowing service components...

Spark Plugs
Water Pump

Well, I can't think right now, but pretty much a full tune-up, minus the timing belt, RDX has a chain instead... And he said it will run about a $1,000 in total... If I had a timing belt, it would be about $1,800...

I could change them myself, I know I could but it sounds like a PITA because of the intercooler....

I could also bring it to an independent shop, I know a good one, and have it done, but won't that complicate things for the "Big Tune-Up"?

I know I shouldn't need a water pump, I could see what that large amount of maintaine involves, and eliminate anything that isn't direly nececarry...

I also can't do much in terms of cost, money will be short in the near future...

I'll figure something out, and I do greatly appreciate all of your suggestions...

I know changeing the plugs will
be good, and will import ve startup and idle quility, and I'd do it myself if it wasn't so technical, on the K23A1...

I appreciate any feedback however!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Ah, didn't know it was the same guy - I do remember that post. Yeah, definitely start with plugs. Either that or the air filter is covered in plastic wrap.
Seriously right! Like 12.8 mpg is grand cherokee srt territory, and lord knows the rdx ain't no srt! Haha
Old 07-21-2016, 04:49 AM
Null and proud of it

Seriously right! Like 12.8 mpg is grand cherokee srt territory, and lord knows the rdx ain't no srt! Haha
My worst was 11.2!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 05:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
My worst was 11.2!!!
I was at around 18-19 mpg city and that involved HEAVY doses of acceleration. I would fill up and tell myself I wanted to be "gentle" on this tank of gas. 5 minutes later I am redlining it at 7200 rpm's in sport mode with the paddles.

Turbo boost is so addictive! Like that sudden rush, the sound of the turbo spooling up, and the steady push. I have seen many people say the rdx has very bad lag, but honestly I noticed it for a second and then tons of power. When you compare the 2.3 to today's engines, it isn't that bad!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Null and proud of it

I was at around 18-19 mpg city and that involved HEAVY doses of acceleration. I would fill up and tell myself I wanted to be "gentle" on this tank of gas. 5 minutes later I am redlining it at 7200 rpm's in sport mode with the paddles.

Turbo boost is so addictive! Like that sudden rush, the sound of the turbo spooling up, and the steady push. I have seen many people say the rdx has very bad lag, but honestly I noticed it for a second and then tons of power. When you compare the 2.3 to today's engines, it isn't that bad!
This is how I find the RDX accelerates...

From a stop, if I brake torque it to about 2,000 rpm, then let go, it will boost a little, take off to about 10mph (16 km/ph) it will kind of bog for a second, then at about 15 mph (25 km/ph) it takes off!!!

Hondata fixes that, I've seen YouTube videos!!!

It will roar and purr like a V6!!!

Then, about five seconds later, you're going almost 70 mph (116 km/ph)!!!

I've also noticed, if you hit Vtec on an interstate on ramp or such, Vtec kicks in, then it kind of lets off, it's strange...

It also has to be going really slow for it to kickdown to first gear....

If I'm going 15 mph (25 km/ph) and floor it, it takes about two seconds for everything to happen, then power comes on really strong!!!

I like that the DBW is very sensitive... I can put my foot down half an inch (1 cm) and it just takes off... An older Yukon I drove needed nearly two inches of pushing to make it go the same, but it's a Throttle Cable, I haven't driven a cable in so long, is that right?

I also am surprised the RDX doesn't have the "Kickdown" snappiness of the 2007 AV6 I drove late last year, that would kickdown like nothing... Barely touch it, and you're gone!!!

Either way, the RDX is great, sometimes it's too much, than others, it's not enough...

Not making it slow, or leaving it where it is, so after an intake and Hondata tune, my projected 0-60 dry should be around 5.5 seconds, wow!!!

Best I've seen is 6.6, with 1/3 tank fuel, passenger, and a trunk full of junk, late at night however...

It calculated out to be about 305 hp!!!

Now I know it's more like 270 hp, 295 tq, but a HP 0-60 calculator doent know that, nor are they very accurate.. But hey, why not!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Removing the intercooler is not that hard, all you have to do is loosen a couple hoses and remove a few bolts. There is a how-to with pictures on the forum. I wouldn't worry about the water pump unless it is giving you issues - those things simply tend to run until they don't. If yours is working fine now it may die tomorrow or it may last another 200k miles. If you replace it with a new one, it may die tomorrow or last 200k miles. Who knows?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Null and proud of it

Failed to start, won't start when warm!!! HELP!!!

It failed to start today...

I was leaving a store, my third stop in 30 minutes time, it had been starting really slowly for the second and third time I cranked the engine today...

Had to push the gas both times to get it so start...

That last time, no luck...

Called AAA, maybe 30 minutes later, I decided to try it, and after a moment of chugging, it started, so I revved it up for a minute, and took off...

I did cancel the AAA call before leaving the parking lot!!!

The battery seemed ok, it almost seems like a fuel issue...

Any suggestions...

I hope to get it to a good local independent I know, if not, the dealer!!!

I got to thinking about it, I remember early 90's Honda and Acura vehicles having a fuel relay issue (or something similar), which would cause difficulty starting when warm...

Every time it's done this, the engine has been warm...

When I started up and left early this afternoon, the engine cranked just fine, but not after I had been driving a bit...

I was on the highway for 90 miles last night, started fine when I left, but when I made a quick stop for 7-10 minutes, it needed some gas to start...

I've heard about this on several CB7 Accords, and Legends...

But is this possible in a 2007 model RDX?

This is logical though, any ideas?
Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Null and proud of it

Bump, I need help!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
It failed to start today...

I was leaving a store, my third stop in 30 minutes time, it had been starting really slowly for the second and third time I cranked the engine today...

Had to push the gas both times to get it so start...

That last time, no luck...

Called AAA, maybe 30 minutes later, I decided to try it, and after a moment of chugging, it started, so I revved it up for a minute, and took off...

I did cancel the AAA call before leaving the parking lot!!!

The battery seemed ok, it almost seems like a fuel issue...

Any suggestions...

I hope to get it to a good local independent I know, if not, the dealer!!!

I got to thinking about it, I remember early 90's Honda and Acura vehicles having a fuel relay issue (or something similar), which would cause difficulty starting when warm...

Every time it's done this, the engine has been warm...

When I started up and left early this afternoon, the engine cranked just fine, but not after I had been driving a bit...

I was on the highway for 90 miles last night, started fine when I left, but when I made a quick stop for 7-10 minutes, it needed some gas to start...

I've heard about this on several CB7 Accords, and Legends...

But is this possible in a 2007 model RDX?

This is logical though, any ideas?
So is it turning over when you twist the key? I am wondering if it is a bad ground.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Null and proud of it

So is it turning over when you twist the key? I am wondering if it is a bad ground.
Yeah, just kind of a "grown, grow, gro, gro, gro, go" that's it...

I'm sitting in it right now, at the gas station where I can get cell phone reception...

Started fine last night, and tonight, but yesterday afternoon it cranked super slow, and had to give it gas to start, and it refused to start in the afternoon for nearly 45 minutes, and then it was just barely...

Taking it to the Honda dealership in town early tomorrow morning, we'll see then...

I hope this won't take them long because I don't have full access to another vehicle here, and we'll all be sharing the Yukon...

What if I drive it to the Acura dealer, about 50 miles away, will I get a loaner? Maybe I could knock out that airbag while I'm at it...

Oh well, as long as I'm not stranded anywhere I'm good...

I really wish I had a beater or a second daily, however...
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Gas pedal helps start makes me think fuel related as well. Try some Techron cleaner or seafoam or b12 chemtool in the gas tank
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Null and proud of it

I know what's wrong now...

Turns out I need a starter...

New starter will run $688...

I will not have it back until Wednesday evening, if not Thursday morning...

So until then, I'll be driving a GMC Yukon...
Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

A remanufacutred Denso would have cost 200 bucks or less Part # 2806018
Old 07-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Even Oem here is 354: OEM Acura RDX 2007 STARTER MOTOR (MITSUBA) parts
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by thoiboi
A remanufacutred Denso would have cost 200 bucks or less Part # 2806018
Who's putting it in, I'm sure as hell not... I've done two starters already, sick of this kind of stuff...

I just want it over with...

Besides, will a remanufactured starter sound the same as an OEM starter...

I put a new starter in a Lexus, sounded different after, and not like a Toyota/Lexus does stock...
Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Null and proud of it

Just for now...

So, I've been driving the Yukon for a couple of days now... Not bad...

It's a 2003 moldel, SLT-1 package, 5.3 V8, all of that good stuff...

I like its accreditation, it's not too fast, not too slow, fast enough to put you hard into the seat without ending up going 80 mph in four seconds.... Because of this, it can "rev out" all the way before it shifts, and not for 1/10 of a second either...

At a 0-60 time of 7.7-8.2, it feels a lot like a new Camry 2.5, or a good old K24 Accord or TSX, it's "just right" for me...

Steering requires constant corrections, it's very light, but loads up well in corners, body roll isn't bad at all, handles A LOT better than my 2001 Camry does!!!

The brakes do suck, I've gotten used to it now, but it feels like I'm going to crash sometimes...

I average a lower speed than I do in the RDX, of course, but it isn't that bad at all, fix the loose steering, and this thing isn't something to sleep on much...

If anyone was looking on driving a Yukon in a spirited manner, it isn't bad...

But I will hopefully have the RDX back tomorrow evening...

Just something that's been on my mind...
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Null and proud of it

I should have it by a little after noon tomorrow...

The dealer ordered a new starter, however, the Acura parts department sent a remanufactured starter by mistake... I could request a new one and wait two or three more days, or just have the remanufactured one installed...

I told him (service advisor) to go ahead and install the one they got in today...

The work will start tomorrow morning...

Until then, I'll be enjoying the Yukon, and heck, I was taking sharp corners 30-40 MPH, in a freaking Yukon of all things...

No understeer, no squealing, heck, no body roll...

Don't sleep on these!!! Haha...
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I slept in one once.

Was okay, I guess.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Null and proud of it

It's back!!!

Got the RDX back!!!

Total cost was $617.08...

Oh well, I feel good!!!

It sounds so much faster now!!!

On a side note, I drifted the RDX a little while ago for the first time!!! Well, I can't see with these highbeams... I hit a coner going about 20 mph, no throttle, but because of some loose gravel that washed into the road, I lost enough traction a go tail-out!!?

I did fine, ha!!!

It wasn't perfect, but I kinda did it!!!

I can die a happy man now!!!

But I miss that Yukon however...

I cleaned the seats and conditioned them with some cheap wipes I had, to make it a little better...

It's a farm truck, has 200 lbs if horse feed in the back...

I have some other details I'll add sometime tomorrow!!!

Have a nice night, well, morning y'all!!!
The following users liked this post:
bchizzle (08-11-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine kind of half cranks to I wonder if my starter is going to
Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by eaglesfan398
Mine kind of half cranks to I wonder if my starter is going to
The K24, or K23T in this case is already a slow cranking engine...

What it ended up being, my starter was dragging...

I knew it always sounded a little slow, but I was t sure if that was on account of it being a turbo, and that the engine is still quite different than an Accord or CR-V...

Now I've noticed sometimes it starts so soon that it only cranks two or three times, and not seven or eight like the K series engines do, but that's just when the engine stops in the right spot for an extra easy start up...

Watch a this video on YouTube, this is how the start up should sound!!!!!

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YRRknwFtA

Skip ahead to 1:21, and listen to the start up sound!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 08-08-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Adding a link...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Mine just started doing that. It happened to me a few weeks ago so now it sitting in the dealer hopefully so they find the issue. There are a few tsb on the starter and the windshield wipers. It bothers me because the tsb states very vaguely about the issue. Imo it should be a recall because when water gets into the motor it causes the motor to seize making the windshield wipers at a standstill which can easily cause an accident. Will update however when they diagnose my issue with starting.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by eaglesfan398
Mine just started doing that. It happened to me a few weeks ago so now it sitting in the dealer hopefully so they find the issue. There are a few tsb on the starter and the windshield wipers. It bothers me because the tsb states very vaguely about the issue. Imo it should be a recall because when water gets into the motor it causes the motor to seize making the windshield wipers at a standstill which can easily cause an accident. Will update however when they diagnose my issue with starting.
For me, it was intermittent, once a night for three days, and fine, well, not super obviously slow for a week or two, so much so, I'd forget I have a problem...

In my case, the heat of the engine, and a hot day would strain it a lot more, it would drag a lot worse...

I never knew anything about windshield wiper issues...

I have a few other "pattern failures" with the RDX, all of them being very common...

Leaking steering rack and pump causing a loud humming/whining when warm...

Condensation forming in headlights...

Passenger heat seater barely gets warm...

Hvac mixer door makes the squeaking clunking noise occasionally...

The previous owner had a few thing replaced as well

AC compressor...

Radio...

I can't really think of anything else off hand, but I've also had a few other small issues too...
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Ive never had those issues.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Null and proud of it

What year is your RDX?

The 2007 had it the worst, specifically the early ones like mine, assembled 9/25/06...

The TSX had the same issues its first few model years, and the same goes for the 2007 MDX, it's common for Honda/Acura products to be a little iffy the first year, all makes have this to a certain extent however...
Old 08-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Mine is a 2007. Haven't had to many issues. Just the windshield wipers and now this.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Figured I'd drop a link in here for the starter replacement guide in case anyone else might find it useful: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...guides-907788/

I had very similar problems to the OP and ended up replacing the starter last year. It would start fine in the morning, but then it'd be sluggish or slow (or not start at all) after the car warmed up. Definitely seemed heat-related to me. Or just age and wear and tear.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Null and proud of it

These RDX's are pretty dang bullet proof despite it being a big departure for Honda and Acura!!!

I swear the starting was heat related...

It started as fast as it could when it was cool, but the warmer it was, the slower it would crank...

The day it failed, we had stopped at a few stores in town, this was the third stop in 20 minutes after a 15 mile drive to town, it started slow the first two times...

When we came outside, I saw a black CU2 TSX outside with he hood up, gave me a bad vibe, then it came true, haha...

Other vehicles were starting slow too, and a lot of them...

One man, he must have been about 70, offered to give us a jump, at this time I thought the altinator was draining the battery or I had a bad cell or something, he didn't have cables, but he had such a hard time staring his early 1980's F250, it kept stalling, he'd let out the clutch, it would lurch and stall... He was so nice still...

Anyway, I was getting really hot, beginning symptoms of heat sickness... One last ditch effort and it started!!!

It was fine that night, and I figured out my problem was heat related...
Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lately, I've had the same issues with my 07 Tech Carbon RDX. Rough idle, and random power issues.

It's at 115K, about 18/20mpg and I've gone through 1 alternator and about 3 batteries in the past 4 years. Have owned it since 2010. No other work done.

Just the other day, I hit the door lock and nothing. I manually opened the door and saw no power. I popped the hood and the car honked. I double checked the wiring and it looks like it's seen better days. The Vegas heat will definitely have an affect on the rubber/plastic and the battery. I think I shall order some NGKs and some new battery wires.

Any other ideas of what may be causing this and remedies?

Thanks!

Last edited by bchizzle; 08-11-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:24 AM
Null and proud of it

Oh dear, umm, not sure of that one...

I've read a few people have had issues with RL sedans similar to yours, best of luck!!!