2007 ACURA RDX Problem Help (big Story)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ACURA RDX Problem Help (big Story)

Hello Everyone,
So I have a 2007 Acura RDX Turbo with over 477,000 KM (296,394 Miles). I must tell you apart from the fuel milage the car has been great, with no issues at all except for the wear and tear every vehicle has like Ball Joints, Suspension and so on. Yesterday my dad and I were driving to go visit family ( a 2 hour drive) the car just came back from its regular oil change and maintenance as scheduled when I notices that there was a clicking noise. We decided to do our visit and make it home. My thought was the water pump, but it couldnt be because the Water Temp Gauge wasn't going up as it was in its normal. Then as we were driving about 1 hour in, the fan that runs the heater and AC didn't perform (being in Canada it was a little bit of a cold drive). I put it on high and notice that it didn't do anything. So I just shut it off.

We got home but the noise grew from what it sound like a grinding and plastic burning smell. So I parked the car at home shut it off and then as I'm walking to the door I hear a pop. Since the mechanic doesn't live far I decided to just drive it there (bad mistake). I started the car and the noise was gone but the Battery light came on and I lost Power Steering. No Big deal, i decided to get my dad to follow me and as i got about 5 min on my way, every single light came on. SH-AWD, Traction control, stability, ABS. CHECK Engine, everything. The D started flashing which i never seen before. The temp gauge started going all the way up. So I called dad and Said I'm just going to pull it in the park lot. I was going to back it in for the tow truck, and of course, the tranny would not Engage Reverse. That was it. I parked it and said Call CAA.
So i was wondering if anyone has experinced this or any idea what it could be. Now that you know the story maybe you can. Ill call my mechanic and the update you on the cause. The car has no rust, or anything so i do not plan on getting rid of it.
Thanks
Kyle
Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Battery
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
And/or alternator. Sounds almost like your alternator might have died and as the battery drained you started losing other systems.

The smell and the pop are weird though...maybe a fuse went out somewhere as well?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Sounds like a few things going on.. alternator went out, check your drive belt, it may have gone. clicking could be a bad alternator bearing or pulley along the drive belt area.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

I never thought of the drive belt. It could possibly the battery, if the alternator went out though, and it was just the battery, wouldn't running the xenons plus all the dash lights all on, wouldn't it drain it, to where it would fad as I'm driving? Just a thought?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, the burning and pop may indeed have been your drive belt. If you had a pulley seize up to where the either the belt was turning against a stuck pulley, or crank was turning against a stuck belt, eventually it would heat up and snap. May not be your alternator at all, since if the belt snaps from something else then you still lose alternator, a/c, etc. I'd say if you're lucky, maybe you just need a new pulley and/or tensioner, and belt. Hopefully all accessories are still in good shape. Ultimately this is all speculation from armchair mechanics, so let us know what your guy says. I'm certainly interested.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Actually, the burning and pop may indeed have been your drive belt. If you had a pulley seize up to where the either the belt was turning against a stuck pulley, or crank was turning against a stuck belt, eventually it would heat up and snap. May not be your alternator at all, since if the belt snaps from something else then you still lose alternator, a/c, etc. I'd say if you're lucky, maybe you just need a new pulley and/or tensioner, and belt. Hopefully all accessories are still in good shape. Ultimately this is all speculation from armchair mechanics, so let us know what your guy says. I'm certainly interested.
You are absolutely right on this!!! It was actually the drive belt. Also it was also because something with the A/C happened so to fix it will be $1200. I I will be able to get the Acura back by friday. If this keeps going with high milage and repairs I will have no choice is getting a new car. But it has been great so far, for the 10 years I have owned it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the compressor pulley probably seized then. Unfortunately things like that can happen, and at 300k miles you're certainly more at risk than most, but it's still one of those freak incidents more than anything. As long as the rest of your accessories are still good and you keep taking good care of the car, it should keep on trucking for you. I hope to see mine at 300k one of these days!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Advanced

300K! Wow! You had a great deal, all this time, with zero problems. An amazing Acura reliability story.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by stathis
300K! Wow! You had a great deal, all this time, with zero problems. An amazing Acura reliability story.
Yes she has been a great car

Here is what the Mechanic did overall to the car. I got it back on Wed, but haven't had a chance to reply on this thread. Ofcourse once you get a car with high milage it needs some TLC. But she still runs great. Mechanic list of what was fixed
  • AC Compressor with a 2 year warranty
  • Brand new air filters AC
  • 6 new body clips for plastic engine molds (Living in the north the roads can get a bit bumpy lol or maybe I'm having to much fun)
  • Oil change was done
  • Oil filter was changed
  • Topped up washer fluid
  • 1 Battery (3 year warranty with free replacement)
  • 1 Rear wiper blade
He did a check over for Diagnose of the Belt and Pulley problem, Removed and Replaced AC Compressor
He Installed new drive belts and fixed wanted was wrong with the AC system. Grease job, changed oil & Filter, checked all build levels.
First time (Before installing new battery) he did a charge testing and it failed, so he replaced the battery and cleaned all connections.
3 days worth of work, I'm happy that she is fixed. Hopefully I can get another 300k of milage on her before I say goodbye.
The only issue I really have with the car is fuel milage which was known for the Turbo engine.
I appreciate everyones input and I'm happy to answer any questions about this car. Not sure if anyone has an RDX with a lot of miles on it.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good job on hitting 300k! Makes my 160k seem pretty low!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

I am having similar issues with my 2007 RDX. I have 160,000 miles and it overheated. The Air compressor clutch went bad and need to be replaced $936 at the dealer but they are also looking at the water pump. Started a few weeks back with a loud grinding noise and then overheated on Friday. Waiting for the mechanic to get back to me.