Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
jp1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mrgold35 - when you say "This is just one person out of hundreds I’ve heard of having problems with the reflash." do you actually mean "that out of the hundreds that have had the reflash [without problems] this is the only one you have heard of [that did have problems]??

I figured you did - but just clarifying...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by jp1
Mrgold35 - when you say "This is just one person out of hundreds I’ve heard of having problems with the reflash." do you actually mean "that out of the hundreds that have had the reflash [without problems] this is the only one you have heard of [that did have problems]??

I figured you did - but just clarifying...
Yes!! Sorry for the confusion in my statement.

I was going to get Hondata for my TSX; but, decided against it because gains were very small compared to the RDX reflash. I would still need intake, header, and exhaust to maximize the TSX reflash just to be 1 or 2 tenths faster in my 5AT TSX. If I was going to spend that much $$$ for that minor gain, I should save up for the comptech S/C for some real performance gains.

The RDX reflash makes real performance gains you will feel instantly. The time it took me to get to 75-80 mph with the old ECU now gets me to +90 mph with the reflash. Your RDX will be easier to drive with the extra power. I've notice I don't push the engine as hard as before because I can reach the same speed with less effort. I hope the reflash does not affect the longevity of the engine, 5AT or sh-awd. There should be members with +80,000 reflash trouble-free miles out there. I only have 15,000 miles out of 50,000 miles total with my RDX on the reflash with zero problems.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jp1
Wow. It honestly seems too good to be true. And often things that seem too good to be true usually are. But there is no catch here? Anyone in this thread disagree?

I also wanted to try this mod but im hesitate that it might affect the longevity of the turbo,, ... based from hondata website it will raises the boost level about 1-1.5 psi under 4500 RPM and raises the boost level 3.5-4 psi at redline. As a result the turbo spools faster at lower RPM leading to better off the line performance...

If something happen to your turbo or engine this will def void your warranty...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
jp1
7th Gear

Understand that is it is a risk -- but there ususally isn't a benefit in life without some kind of cost.

From the research I've done on this (Sean Church and others) it seems the boost increase on the stock RDX engine was set originally by Acura to minimize warranty risk (across all the produced RDX's) and the flashed increase is still moderate and within the margin of reliability.
Plus, once you get outside the warranty (i.e. more mileage) then in the case of any problem you are paying for repairs out of pocket as it is.

Overall the combined "costs" for this flash still seem to be worth it from what I'm hearing.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Thats correct, and furthermore, the miniscule increase in boost provided by the reflash, is way way within the ability of the turbos efficiency and durability parameters!

Before you are able to run the turbo in a " questionable parameter area ", the ECM (flashed or not) will go into 'limp' mode to protect the system! And again you can check with Sean about that, which he found out during the testing and research for the reflash!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 PM
jp1
7th Gear

Acura built it to be on the very conservative end.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
jp1
7th Gear

And performance mods are on the other end, right?!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Folks,
I just got my ECU from Hondata.
I will post my initial results. The RDX is actually my wife's car.
I drive a Subaru Forester 5-sp. My engine mods are a VF-39 Turbo, STi intercooler, turbo back exhaust. I am custom tuned to run 19.5psi. The car puts out a good amount of power (325ft-lbs @ 3250RPM....this makes for a fast 3300 pound car). I am stating this so that you know where I am coming from. I am used to a car with a good amount of turbo power.

After the ECU install, I took the car out for a spin.

The turbo spools up almost immediately. I am definitely not used to this. Seems unnatural that a turbo can spool up so fast. The car before that tune was what I am used to in a turbo. Lag.....and then wham. I can see how some people might say that they can't feel the difference because the turbo spools up so early you don't get that turbo kick. The turbo is already spooled up when you expect the turbo to kick in. So it drives less like a turbo car and more like a larger displacement vehicle.

While the car might not seem faster to some people, it is faster. It just might not feel that way to some since they don't get that turbo kick at 2500-3000rpm.

There is one thing I don't like. This is something that is my personal preference. So some folks may agree and some disagree with me. I noticed that when driving casually and not using full throttle, the turbo still hits full boost. On my Forester, I had it tuned so that the turbo doesn't hit full boost unless the throttle is wide open. With the Forester, I didn't like when I was just driving casually and the turbo would hit full boost. So my tuner made the turbo boost somewhat dependent on throttle. Which I like. So with the RDX, I was making a U-turn at a slow normal pace with the throttle maybe halfway depressed. The turbo hits full boost and I had to straighten the wheels quickly as they started to squeal. Again, this is MY personal preference. Since the turbo spools up so early in RPMs it is nowhere near as noticeable as it was with the Forester. With that car, I'd be driving casually and the turbo would hit and literally snap your head back since you weren't expecting it. (Glad I had the tuner fix that)

I haven't had the ECU long enough to comment on fuel economy.

I'd like to do the K&N cold air intake next but I am so Subaru ingrained that I am still hesitant to do it. With my custom tuned Subaru, I can't add an air intake without getting the car retuned so that I can have my A/F ratio "touched up".

Dino
Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coming from a subie you should know a K&N is bad juju.. the oil from the filter flying on the maf usually degrades the performance. i would just go with a amsoil filter. I have one in the STi and its been great. What are you tuned with on your forester? Im trying to get more tuning options set up as i do not see myself paying 500 for a base map.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dinot
Folks,
I just got my ECU from Hondata.
I will post my initial results. The RDX is actually my wife's car.
After the ECU install, I took the car out for a spin.

The turbo spools up almost immediately. I am definitely not used to this. Seems unnatural that a turbo can spool up so fast. The car before that tune was what I am used to in a turbo. Lag.....and then wham. I can see how some people might say that they can't feel the difference because the turbo spools up so early you don't get that turbo kick. The turbo is already spooled up when you expect the turbo to kick in. So it drives less like a turbo car and more like a larger displacement vehicle.

While the car might not seem faster to some people, it is faster. It just might not feel that way to some since they don't get that turbo kick at 2500-3000rpm.
I haven't had the ECU long enough to comment on fuel economy.
Dino
Good analogy Dino
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by windowlickingood
Coming from a subie you should know a K&N is bad juju.. the oil from the filter flying on the maf usually degrades the performance. i would just go with a amsoil filter. I have one in the STi and its been great. What are you tuned with on your forester? Im trying to get more tuning options set up as i do not see myself paying 500 for a base map.
The oil coating the MAF was the standard reply dealers tried to give in order to void your warranty. For the stock size MAF meter the K&N Typhoon and AEM intake are the best. Many folks run the K&N panel filter with the stock airbox. I've not heard of any issues. As long as you don't go hog wild when re-oiling it, you'll be fine.

My tuner uses Cobb. You don't have to pay anything for the Cobb base maps. You'll need a Cobb Accessport though. The off the shelf Cobb map (free) was running 17psi. I am at 19.5psi after the custom tune.

On the RDX...So far the fuel economy is dropping. I attribute that to the fact that I am driving a little more heavy footed. One thing I can't seem to ever get used to is the Honda exhaust. This of course has nothing to do with the Hondata flash. I am just hearing the exhaust more at high RPMs now since I am driving at WOT. The only 4 cylinder exhaust I can tolerate is...surprise, surprise, the Subaru boxer engines. (I went to Subaru from having a Cobra Mustang with a Bassani exhaust, so I am partial to V8 exhaust notes)

Dino
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Get 2.5 inch piping to avoid drone if you don't mind then 3.0+ on your system. Use magnaflow 7-5 inch resonators near the cats and a magnaflow 1 in 2 out turbo muff and put some tips on it call it done! The oem exhaust sounds tinny and snarls like a chihuahua. Put this on and turn some heads in the parking lots... Hehe I get it alot!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
mrgold35

Have any of the 2010-2011 RDX owners done the reflash yet? Hondata has it available:

http://www.hondata.com/
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dinot
As long as you don't go hog wild when re-oiling it, you'll be fine.
I don't plan to re-oil mine. I'll just buy a new one. They don't cost much more than paper filters and last 50,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Have any of the 2010-2011 RDX owners done the reflash yet? Hondata has it available:

I have a 2010 RDX SH-AWD that has the new Hondata reflash. Had it for about 3,500 miles so far.

It's solid.

...and totally worth the day or two down time.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by 2005 Silver Bullet
I have a 2010 RDX SH-AWD that has the new Hondata reflash. Had it for about 3,500 miles so far.

It's solid.

I found the RDX is A LOT easier to drive with the extra power in all situations. My son and I always looking for situations to turbo boost and use sh-awd. We have to chill out when the wife in the car, she doesn't like sliding across the seat and hanging on for dear life like our son.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 2005 Silver Bullet

It's solid.

any notice on improvement of gas mileage? That is only excuse to my wife to get this going lol
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the only time mileage improves slightly is HWY driving when turbo is not as engaged... Otherwise it is very similar. On a road trip to Cal, I got about 22mpg VS 20 pre-reflash. City is still 17-18. It is still so very very very worth it.

YMMV... litterally!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have it on my 2011 RDX and the downtime and price is well worth it for this mod.

Wish there was more for our fun CUV.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to see what 94-octane gas without ethanol would do with this mod.

The improved fuel economy is due to the mixture slightly thinned, but that would require a very close watch on the quality of fuel.

Locally Shell has the only tier-1 91 premium without ethanol.

Chevron these days has gone over to the dark side and lowered their premium from 92 to 91 as well as adding ethanol to it.

But Chevron still sells 94 without ethanol, so it would be interesting to see how a reflashed RDX would do with that fuel.

Last edited by red00tl; 08-08-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

people in NYC area, what Hondata dealer did u use? and do they have to ship ECU or they can actually flash on the spot?
coming from VW/Audi crowd, the flash used to be done over OBD port in 10-30 mins...
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by alexverve
people in NYC area, what Hondata dealer did u use? and do they have to ship ECU or they can actually flash on the spot?
coming from VW/Audi crowd, the flash used to be done over OBD port in 10-30 mins...
I got my reflash done with nolimitmotorsport.com - Rob.
He response to emails and calls.

I tried rpmnyc.com and the rep got back to me almost 2 months later. lol
The worse for customer service and responding IMO.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JCRDX11
I got my reflash done with nolimitmotorsport.com - Rob.
He response to emails and calls.

I tried rpmnyc.com and the rep got back to me almost 2 months later. lol
The worse for customer service and responding IMO.
do they have to send ECU out? that is so annoying. coming from VW/Audi side - used to do re-flashes through OBD port on the spot (10-20 mins) since 2005....
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by alexverve
do they have to send ECU out? that is so annoying. coming from VW/Audi side - used to do re-flashes through OBD port on the spot (10-20 mins) since 2005....
You will need to purchase the reflash from them and send it directly to hondata after you receive their confirmation.

The cost will cover the reflash and unit being ship back to you.
PM if you have any questions.
Turn around time is quick though - like 2 to 3 days max.
Got my unit within 2 days. (Just make sure to overnight Hondata the unit so they have time to work on it early)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
have done reflash to my tsx dont know why i havnt done it yet to rdx i guess i just think about warrenty anybody know if it is noticeable by the dealer ? or of any problems if things break ?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 PM
XIS
Lizard King

DO IT !!!
No and no... watch your redline and have fun. Have not heard of one single issue other than happiness.

Originally Posted by krazydan19
have done reflash to my tsx dont know why i havnt done it yet to rdx i guess i just think about warrenty anybody know if it is noticeable by the dealer ? or of any problems if things break ?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious to know if anyone has tried or hears about this as a substitute to the Hondata reflash (http://www.jetchip.com/shop/shopdisp...sppp=10&vall=1) only talking about the top item the one for $329; or if anyone just replaced the MAF sensor, the last item on the page.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
The jet chip is a scam.

http://forums..com/showthread.php?t=144424
Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM
10th Gear

Hondata... link is broken.

Agreed, there is only one option for the RDX when it comes to a tune.

It is unfortunate there are no alternatives. Competition might have resulted in more tuning options for us such as a hand held programmer and multiple tunes for different mods.

I am glad that Church/Hondata was able to provide us a tune. Thanks guys!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by krazydan19
The Hondata sticker would be a dead giveaway. Otherwise they would need to hook it up to a PC with specific diagnostic software to find the flash.

Originally Posted by SCCThree
Hondata link is broken...
http://hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html
Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM

The reason the link was broken is that this site filters out the word c l u b r s x. Copy and paste the link and remove the spaces.

http://forums.c l u b r s x.com/showthread.php?t=144424

Here you will learn the testing done to prove that a customer's paid for reflash was a ECU stock program. (i.e. nothing had changed)

Last edited by hondata; 08-29-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Haha, hondaddy's a scam too. Can't even bring a RDX flash pro to the market.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish Hondata would release the RDX reflash program to their authorized dealers and just charge them a royalty fee when ever they perform a reflash on a customers' vehicle. From a business point of view I think they would earn more $$ and incur less FEDEX/UPS expense and the dealers would be able to sell additional services as well.

How can we get Hondata to buy off on that idea?

Just a thought
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Haha, hondaddy's a scam too. Can't even bring a RDX flash pro to the market.
If it takes this to get Hondata to come up with the flash pro for us.
We need to keep doing it this way! =P

Even the honda accord found a way to get a harness to work on their car for the Hondata K-pro unit.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Haha, hondaddy's a scam too.
Originally Posted by JCRDX11
If it takes this to get Hondata to come up with the flash pro for us.
We need to keep doing it this way! =P
This is what it takes Hondata to go away.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondata
This is the only way to get your attention. (Not the best method of choice)

But on the serious side; we have nothing but love and respect on what Hondata does for all the Honda/Acura owners! ~
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Does it even matter if you stay?

Hondata is not even listening????? The price for reflash vs flash pro, is what? I'd save that few hundred extra for it. It'd be money better spent.

About Jet Performance (1968), The internet is a source of just about anything negitive as well as positive, look hard enough you'll find that someone with 8th gen civic questioning their reflash.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 09-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Pro

Does it even matter if you stay?

Hondata is not even listening????? The price for reflash vs flash pro, is what? I'd save that few hundred extra for it. It'd be money better spent.

About Jet Performance (1968), The internet is a source of just about anything negitive as well as positive, look hard enough you'll find that someone with 8th gen civic questioning their reflash.
If the flash-pro is in the works for the RDX; that would be the best because we can finally have a system to tune our CUV.

O please bring this to our community!
My down and mid pipe should be heading my way.

I need bigger fuel injectors to support it! =T
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Don't be a baby....

Give the people what they want... and charge for it. Marketing 101

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
...I was going to get Hondata for my TSX; but, decided against it because gains were very small compared to the RDX reflash. I would still need intake, header, and exhaust to maximize the TSX reflash just to be 1 or 2 tenths faster in my 5AT TSX...The RDX reflash makes real performance gains you will feel instantly. The time it took me to get to 75-80 mph with the old ECU now gets me to +90 mph with the reflash. Your RDX will be easier to drive with the extra power. ..
Get 2.5 inch piping to avoid drone if you don't mind then 3.0+ on your system. Use magnaflow 7-5 inch resonators near the cats and a magnaflow 1 in 2 out turbo muff and put some tips on it call it done! The oem exhaust sounds tinny and snarls like a chihuahua. Put this on and turn some heads in the parking lots... Hehe I get it alot!
So would it be smart to upgrade the exhaust at the same time? If the car is going to be out of commission for 3 days I might as well make that hole bigger.
Originally Posted by XIS
Don't be a baby....

Give the people what they want... and charge for it. Marketing 101

Yep. Why would a smart business person post a comment like that? Oh, nevermind.

Quick Reply: Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!